• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post-Secondary Education after Release

kadrury

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone out there can help me and anwser my question. As of rigth now I am being medically released from the CF. I have heard from people that if you get released from the CF for medical reasons they will pay for you to go back to school. Is this true? If anyone has heard of this can someone help me with info or who I have to contact.

Thanks!!!

You're talking about SISIP vocational training.  It's only meant to enhance training you already have, not to start you off on a new career path.  Your Case Manager should be providing you with all the information for it.  Have you seen a Case Manager yet?

http://www.sisip.com/en/insurance_e/vrp_e.asp

.....just looking through the options SISIP offers.  Just a question on the VRP, what if the medically released person cannot do their line of work/training they were doing in the military because of their present injuries??  Where does that leave the member?

To disagree with what the earlier poster said, the VRP is about assisting you with a new career in a chosen field that is suitable for your physical and mental ablities AND has a reasonable chance of improving your abilities to find employment in a chosen occupational field; it is not restricted to only enhancing your current training.

You will find better information from your case manager, but in general the VRP is about changing careers.  You may no longer be able to work in your previous occupation due to physical and/or mental barriers.  Do your research, figure out a plan, create an objective, and then justify it in writing.

Greymatters said:
To disagree with what the earlier poster said, the VRP is about assisting you with a new career in a chosen field that is suitable for your physical and mental ablities AND has a reasonable chance of improving your abilities to find employment in a chosen occupational field; it is not restricted to only enhancing your current training.

You will find better information from your case manager, but in general the VRP is about changing careers.  You may no longer be able to work in your previous occupation due to physical and/or mental barriers.  Do your research, figure out a plan, create an objective, and then justify it in writing.

I figured since I posted the link to the objective of the VRP, it wouldn't be necessary to state that your current medical limitations would be taken into consideration.  I guess I should have anyways.

If your MELs support you remaining in your occupation, then it's extremely unlikely they're going to support a complete change in occupations.  If you're a Marine Electrician, and you become blind, you're obviously not going to be expected to continue in that occupation after release.  However, if you lose a foot, then you're likely be facing a battle to support a change to a completely new career.

From http://www.sisip.com/en/insurance_e/vrp_e.asp#objective (emphasis added):

Objective

The objective of the VRP is to provide training and education with the object of enhancing the former member's existing education, skills, training and experience to obtain gainful employment in the civilian workforce. The objective of the VRP is not to provide training or education in a new career field, if, at the time of release, a former member already has transferable skills to the civilian workforce while in keeping with the former member's medical limitations. Any training provided will focus on the acquisition of a licence, certification or diploma from a recognized educational institution.

It's kind of a nerve wracking situation.  My transferable military skill is what I cannot medically do any more.  Where does that leave someone like me, without any transferable skills now?

Steve-O- said:
  It's kind of a nerve wracking situation.  My transferable military skill is what I cannot medically do any more.  Where does that leave someone like me, without any transferable skills now?

Are you working with your local IPSC?

dileas

tess

Occam said:
Objective
The objective of the VRP is to provide training and education with the object of enhancing the former member's existing education, skills, training and experience to obtain gainful employment in the civilian workforce. The objective of the VRP is not to provide training or education in a new career field, if, at the time of release, a former member already has transferable skills to the civilian workforce while in keeping with the former member's medical limitations. Any training provided will focus on the acquisition of a licence, certification or diploma from a recognized educational institution.

You're focusing on the wrong words; the important words here are not 'occupation' - its education skills training experience and transferable skills, the most important being transferable skills.  This includes not only your primary occupation but also your secondary duties.  It also has to bear in mind the availability of employment for that member once they release, as there may be no employment for say, a heavy equipment operator, back in the town they are moving back to.

The reason that the current wording is the way it is, is because after the program was implemented some applicants were applying for courses that they had zero background in or the training was unneccesary as they already had enough skills to transfer directly into a civilian job.  So, instead of case-by-case handling, lets respond the military way and punish everyone with the current wording.

Anyways, if you interpret the words correctly and jusitfy your arguments, you can apply for an occupation based on your current experience, skills and training, but not neccesarily your occupation.  Many trades in the CF have no civilian equivalent; therefore a predominant number of persons who are injured (especially combat arms) are going to need retraining that may have little to do with their former occupation. 

Snr NCO's should be paying heed to things like this. If a SCAN brief comes up send some troops over to it. Even if they are not thinking about getting out.  They will be better mcpls with the knowledge. I know some units/people look at soldiers releasing as "dis loyal" etc. Or people releasing are no longer their problems. Fact is in most cases these members have served their country for years and deserve the best in advise and direction. While they may not have served a full 20 year contract most have given more than most other Canadians.

OCCAM: Something else to consider with your misinformed post there is occupations. Very few infantry jobs in civilian work in Halifax. The medical retraining has zero to do with current occupation. They will do a PLAR with you, and as well a learning plan (I cant remember the correct term)  Ive got one of my troops currently taking journalism....far cry from the job he was doing when he went boom.

I'm happy you threw that tidbit out there as it illustrates a point. While most of us can take care of our troops on the ground (sea etc) the fact is most of us don't end  up looking into the benefits troops deserve. Many use the rumour mill as fact "it has to be job related" which spreads like wildfire. Which I'm sure Steve-o can attest to...probably worried him quite a bit.

Greymatters 48th; I'm glad you chimed in and got steve-o pointed in the right direction. While I know 48th story It sounds like you have dealt with this stuff as well. I personally have assisted 6 members (3 very close friends under my command) in the process of their retraining,release etc. I admit while I got the first guy I assisted all the help he needed I'm certain  I could have done it in a better manner. If I had any advice (and anyone cared) would be to go over to the scan briefs, learn about JPSU and be knowledgeable for your troops sake.

Now why is my post "misinformed"?  Greymatters and I are saying the same thing, albeit slightly differently.

The objective of the VRP states:

The objective of the VRP is not to provide training or education in a new career field, if, at the time of release, a former member already has transferable skills to the civilian workforce while in keeping with the former member's medical limitations.

If you tear that apart, it says that if the member's medical limitations don't permit employment which uses the member's existing transferable skills, then the VRP will provide training or education in a new career field.

I've done four SCAN seminars, as well as preparation for a medical release which, fortunately, did not come to be.  I've also helped out several subordinates and peers as they prepared for medical releases.  I know what the benefits are.  If you already have skills which can be carried forward into a civilian field, and your medical employment limitations do not preclude you from using those skills or working in that occupation, then the VRP will bring you to a licence, certification or diploma level in that field and send you on your merry way.

Conversely, if you cannot carry the skills forward to gainful employment on civvie street due to MELs, then the VRP will start you at square one in a new vocation which will fit with your MELs.

Steve-O-, you have nothing to worry about.  If the only transferable skills you have are putting artillery shells onto a piece of real estate, but can no longer do so because you are blind (for example), then the VRP is going to provide new skills in a new vocation/occupation which takes into account your MELs.  Similarly, if you have transferable skills such as being an electrician, but are missing both hands and have prostheses, you will still be able to take training/education to gain new skills as you won't be able to use the skills you have.  The restriction comes into play when you are still able to employ skills you have already acquired, and are still medically able to work in that field.  If you've already got computer skills up the wazoo, and you lose your hearing, the VRP is not going to pay for you to become a cook because the transferable skills you have are still able to be employed after release - I'm sure there are lots of deaf network administrators who have done quite well for themselves.

Steve-O- said:
No, not yet....  I'll be starting that in the new year.

You will then be in good hands, as dogger stated, the IPSC/JPSU is definitely the place that will give you all the answers you will need.

In fact, keep us updated on this thread.  It will help many others who have the same questions as you.

dileas

tess

Thank you to everyone who has posted.  I certainly have a better understanding of what to expect, and will  be able to relax a bit and let the process take over.  I will keep this thread up to date as I go through the process.
  With having a family of 5 to support, the thought of not having a good career to fall back onto is quite a scary situation right now....

Occam said:
Now why is my post "misinformed"?  Greymatters and I are saying the same thing, albeit slightly differently.

It appears that way, just a slightly different way of looking at things...

I know a guy....

He was a Navy cook, and developed an allergy to potatoes.  He got medically released, and got retrained as a plumber.

Separate from the SISIP programs (of which I know nothing about), there is a program called "Vocational Rehabilitation for Serving Members."

There's a CANFORGEN, I'll post the link from work on Monday if no one is able to before then. It's DCSA that administers it. (Director Casualty Support Administration)

Basically -

Once the doc signs off on the medical release and you have a date, you can spend the last six months of your time in the CF (still on full pay and benefits) on some kind of work placement. I know a couple of people who have done this - one is working with me right now as a "public servant." But I know someone else who used the time to upgrade his education (salary etc was covered by the program, not entirely sure if the program paid his tuition or if he used his ILP). In both cases, it was the universality of service that created the MEL, not the specific job skills. I don't know if that makes a difference in this program.

It gets you something to put on a resume, some additional skills/experience, and contacts to build on.  Seems to me that it could be applied to starting something at university though, based on what the second guy I know did.

The person working in our organization has a case manager for his medical release, and she knew all about it.

exgunnertdo said:
Once the doc signs off on the medical release and you have a date, you can spend the last six months of your time in the CF (still on full pay and benefits) on some kind of work placement. I know a couple of people who have done this - one is working with me right now as a "public servant." But I know someone else who used the time to upgrade his education (salary etc was covered by the program, not entirely sure if the program paid his tuition or if he used his ILP). In both cases, it was the universality of service that created the MEL, not the specific job skills. I don't know if that makes a difference in this program. 

For the VR program I was on, the military granted the time and pay, while SISP covered tuition, fees, books, and travel/parking costs. 

But it takes time to arrange - not everyone gets nine months notice before they leave, allowing for getting the paperwork done and then six months of learning, and its not guaranteed that the course you're interested in will have a vacancy for you on such short notice. 

There are other issues and obstacles to consider, but it tends to sound a bit pessimistic to list them all.

Back