• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Possible Last Survivor of The Great Escape, Jack Harrison, Dies

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
From The Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/obituaries/articles/2010/06/11/jack_harrison_survived_great_escape_plot_in_wwii_at_97/?camp=obnetwork

Jack Harrison; survived Great Escape plot in WWII; at 97

By Robert Barr

Associated Press June 11, 2010

LONDON — Jack Harrison, who survived the Great Escape plot by Allied prisoners in a German prison during World War II, has died at age 97, his family said.

Mr. Harrison died last Friday at Erskine veterans’ home in Bishopton, Scotland.

As one of the camp’s gardeners, Mr. Harrison helped dispose of the dirt excavated from three escape tunnels. He was 98th on the list of some 200 inmates designated to make the escape on March 24, 1944, but only 76 got away before guards detected the breakout and raised the alarm.

The breakout was celebrated in the 1963 film “The Great Escape’’ starring Steve McQueen and James Garner.
Only three men managed to reach safety. Adolf Hitler ordered the execution of 50 recaptured escapers, and 23 others were returned to custody.

British news reports said Mr. Harrison was believed to be the last survivor of the plot, but this could not be confirmed. In addition to the 200 men who won places in the escape queue through a drawing, others were also involved in preparations.

“I guess it was a blessing in disguise I never made it through, as most were shot,’’ Mr. Harrison said in an interview last year with the Scottish Sun newspaper. “But the main purpose wasn’t just to escape. It was to outfox the Germans. It was a huge moral victory. It humiliated Hitler and gave the Nazis a bloody nose.’’

Of the three tunnels dug by prisoners, two had been found by guards and closed before the escape attempt.
When the escape was detected, Mr. Harrison said, he had to burn his disguise as a Siemens engineer quickly and get back into his prison uniform.

“I was to be a Hungarian electrician, so I became Aleksander Regenyi,’’ he recalled.

Mr. Harrison was a Royal Air Force pilot who was shot down and captured in November 1942 on his first mission, a raid on the Dutch port of Den Helder. He was taken to Stalag Luft III prison near Sagan in eastern Germany, now Zagan, Poland.

After the war, Mr. Harrison resumed his teaching career. He retired in 1975 as director of education for the isle of Bute.

Brave Souls All  :salute:
Unlike the Hollywood-ation of the Attempt, most of the plotters were British and Canadian.
Perseverance-Dedication-and some unhanded backhandedness..... :piper:
BYTD

BYT Driver said:
Brave Souls All  :salute:
Unlike the Hollywood-ation of the Attempt, most of the plotters were British and Canadian.
Perseverance-Dedication-and some unhanded backhandedness..... :piper:
BYTD
When I bought the film, the young woman behind the counter said she enjoyed it, saying her family would watch it every year when it got together for Xmas.  She works in a book store, and she STILL didn't know about all the Canadians.  She said she'd learn more about it.

Rest in peace, sir....  :salute:

Some of the "big stars" came out of that movie.
I especially liked Steve McQueen on the motorcycle run.
One of my all time favorite actors. I watch it when ever it
comes on the tube.......Should be playing soon ;D
Classic

I attended the funeral of Tony Bethel, the youngest of the Great Escapers and one of the twenty-three who were recaptured but not shot, in February 2004.

He had moved to Canada in 1955, and lived just north of Erin, Ontario, not too far from me. It's a pity that I did not know about that until after his death.

Back