• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Port Inspection Diver

• Thread starter CF104Starfighter
  • Start date
Anyone can apply for the STD course, you don't have to be on a ship because the base has a dive team too.(Hal, Esq). When I did my first dive course in 97 there was an air maintenance tech on course with us from shearwater.(Zoomie). I think he actually topped the course. He eventually went clearance diver but he still was not from a ship at the time. So a MPO can indeed take the course if his COC will nominate/let him go.
Marc

Strace,

Just to add to M Freetham comments, anyone can apply to be put on the STD Course, as long as you COC recommends you, and you pass
the necessary medicals/PT requirements.  I know of a few Pilots, Air Nav's, MPO and MP NCM who have successfully passed the STD course. 

However, if you are an Officer with an STD qual or Cbt Dver Qual and eventually want to become a Clearance Diving Officer you must be a MARS Officer - REG Force (with a minimum NOPQ qual) just to do the CL Diver Officer Prelim.

I know of one Air Nav Officer who passed the CL Diver Prelim and relinquished his commission and is now a CL Diver Leading Seaman.

Cheers J.

ya im only 16 and i just got finished everything and got my call yesturday that i was accepted i start in less then a month , so basically you can normally join right into the job , it does help to have a diving license i had my rescue diver , advanced open waterand a night diving course certifacaction before i walked in and applyed and it helped my chances alot i found ,

With the challenges in recruiting for the Navy, I thinkit is great to see news items like this harbour clean up demonstrating what the different trades are actively doing.

from the Halifax Chronicle Herald

Divers set for annual cleanup
Block of cheese most interesting find in N.S. waters
By IAN FAIRCLOUGH Staff Reporter
Wed. Sep 2 - 4:45 AM

Naval reserve divers were looking for "sinkables" among the "floatables" Tuesday as they searched the waters of Halifax Harbour near the Halterm container pier.

The divers were promoting the annual TD Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, which takes place across the country from Sept. 19 to 27.

Jill Dwyer, from the Vancouver Aquarium and program manager for the cleanup, said more than 1,600 people participated in Nova Scotia last year, scouring 96 kilometres of coastline and retrieving more than 4,000 kilograms of garbage.

Information on local cleanup dates and how to register can be found at www.tdgcsc.ca

She said the most common items found are cigarette butts, plastic bags, bottles and aluminum cans, indicating that most of the garbage is being washed into the ocean and lakes from shore and then back up along shorelines.

Ms. Dwyer said one of the most interesting items found in Nova Scotia was a block of cheese, but around the country volunteers have found a wedding dress, engagement rings, false teeth and a disco ball.

"Our main message is that this is something anyone can do. It’s a really great thing to do with your community; anyone can participate and you really do make a difference."

The divers spent about 45 minutes in the water, and came out with cans, a piece of iron, some plastic and a Big Wheel plastic tricycle that divers figure has been in the water for about five years.

Petty Officer Jeff Smith said other items, including shopping carts, a bicycle and a motorcycle, were found in the water, but lift gear will be required to pull them from 18 metres of water, so they have been marked with buoys for now.

Naval reserve divers regularly dive near Halterm and in other areas of the harbour for training, and remove any garbage they find.

Petty Officer Smith said storms can stir up the 45 centimetres mud and sediment on the floor of the harbour, so new items are regularly found.

Other items found in the harbour over the years include car parts, tires, century-old ceramic bottles from a ginger beer brewery that operated on McNabs Island in the early 1900s, a case of wine that fell overboard while being loaded onto a cruise ship, and a cruise ship passenger’s wallet.

Petty Officer Smith said storms can stir up the 45 centimetres mud and sediment on the floor of the harbour, so new items are regularly found.

:-X

I've never heard it called "sediment" before.  The PO should win an award for "most PC word used for sh*t" in the HRM for 2009".  ;D

Hi there,

I am also interested in the Port Inspection Diver Trade. I was wondering if anybody on here had completed the course recently and could provide some insight?

I realize this thread is a little dated.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am currently Res Armour, but realised I don't really like it.
As I am a diver in civilian life, I thought I'd like to change trades to go as a portuary inspection diver.
But before I make the big decision and send my memo, I'd like to have a good idea of what the trade is. I used the search function on this forum, searched on Google, but I found only very sparse information.
Does anyone has a good link with info about this trade ? Like what is the training, what kind of job they do when on class B / C, do they get to live on warships ? etc. (Sorry I know very little about the navy...)

Thanks in advance !!

Por´tu`a`ry

n. 1. (R. C. Ch.) A breviary.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

========================================================

Breviary

A breviary (from Latin brevis, 'short' or 'concise') is a liturgical book of the Latin liturgical rites of the Catholic Church containing the public or canonical prayers, hymns, the Psalms, readings, and notations for everyday use, especially by bishops, priests, and deacons in the Divine Office (i.e., at the canonical hours or Liturgy of the Hours, the Christians' daily prayer). The word can also refer to a collection of Christian orders of prayers and readings, such as contained in Anglican or Lutheran resources. In general, the word breviary may be used to refer to an abridged version of any text or a brief account or summary of some subject, but is primarily used to refer to the Catholic liturgical book.

=======================================================

So you would like a career diving into Latin books pertaining to the Catholic Church?

That's weird; I just checked the NAVRES site for PID (Port Inspection Diver) and there is no mention of it.
Generally, Reserve divers will not 'serve' on a ship though may be attached for specific taskings. Where are you? I could steer you to someone at a local NRD depending. If not, I can ask someone tomorrow (I work at CCFL and FDU(A) (Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic is part of the Unit).

Pat

George, George...why do you have to be like that!!

Thanks George Wallace, now that I got the trade's name spelled right, I suddenly found more info  ;D

I found this thread on cadet world : http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/showthread.php?18109-Port-Inspection-Diver  But the thread is old and some info seem dubious

I am from Montreal. I will try to go the local reserve HMCS' information session. I was surprised that there is so little info about NavRes. None of the naval reserve regiments seems to have a recruiting website, while almost all army regiments I know have one. No wonder they have trouble recruiting.

If you are interested in joining the Reserves, any Reserve, Army or Navy, it is usually best to go visit their Armoury/Stone Frigate.  The CFRC in Montreal should have a list of all the units in the city, and their contact information. 

As noted in other Threads, the CFRC will in most instances not touch your application until such time that you have been accepted to a Reserve unit and in many cases have a letter of acceptance from that unit to start the Recruiting processing of your docs.

I am already a trained trooper in the armoured reserve so hopefully I won't have to pass through the CFRC again. I just hope I won't have to do again BMQ, as they have their own in the Navy (BMNQ)

George Wallace said:
If you are interested in joining the Reserves, any Reserve, Army or Navy, it is usually best to go visit their Armoury/Stone Frigate.  The CFRC in Montreal should have a list of all the units in the city, and their contact information. 

As noted in other Threads, the CFRC will in most instances not touch your application until such time that you have been accepted to a Reserve unit and in many cases have a letter of acceptance from that unit to start the Recruiting processing of your docs.

He's already in, Armoured Reserve, so he would have to initate and navigate the clustermug that would encompass an OT and element change.

If you are DP1 qualified in your current trade (Crmn) you should not have to do NAVRES BMQ.  You will, however, have to complete Naval Environmental Training.

lambeosaurus said:
I am already a trained trooper in the armoured reserve so hopefully I won't have to pass through the CFRC again. I just hope I won't have to do again BMQ, as they have their own in the Navy (BMNQ)

Beat me by a second.  Depending on what your CFAT scores were you may or may not have to redo it.  You would definately have to get cleared by the Dive Medical folks. Don't ask my about NavRes BMQ, no idea what it entails.  Your next course of action, find a NRD get some info to see if they are hiring, and then initiate the appropriate memo (if they are), through your CofC (A whole sub-forum dedicated to that particular topic).

I've been away from the NavRes for awhile, but I don't think one can become a Port Inspection Diver (PID) right from the outset.  You may have to join in another occupation, then qualify as a Ship's Diver.  After you've done that, you can apply to become a PID.  The NavRes unit in Montreal is HMCS/NCSM DONNACONA:

HMCS DONNACONA
3525 Saint-Jacques St
Montréal QC H4C 0A1

(514) 283-6517
Recruiting: (514) 283-6517 poste 214
Jobs_DONNACONA@Forces.gc.ca

Hatchet Man said:
He's already in, Armoured Reserve, so he would have to initate and navigate the clustermug that would encompass an OT and element change.

This brings up other complications.  It is quite a convoluted process to transfer out of the Primary Reserve (Army Reserves) and into the Naval Reserves. 

This will now require approvals from your Division (old Area) HQ and the Naval Reserves.

Back