• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Port Inspection Diver

• Thread starter CF104Starfighter
  • Start date
I had already talked breifly to a recruiter from Donnaconna. She said I could transfer directly to that trade and that there were openings.
I was actually more looking for info about what the job's about, if I have the profile to be a good PID. I don't want to take a decision that I will regret, because once I will be transfered, there will no turning back.

Good news is you can keep the same beret.    :nod:

Je n'ai rien à contribuer    ;D

Consider also that Combat Engineers have clearance divers as part of their trades. I suspect that diving in any reserve occupation will be limited and even in the Reg force, unless you belong to the Fleet Diving Unit, you spend most of your career not blowing bubbles. Not sure where you are located but the Coast Guard Hovercraft unit in Vancouver runs a dive team. You will find that diving for a living is not the nicest or easiest way to put bread on the table. Most of it is mundane, tedious, cold, hard and dangerous work.

Colin P said:
Consider also that Combat Engineers have clearance divers as part of their trades. I suspect that diving in any reserve occupation will be limited and even in the Reg force, unless you belong to the Fleet Diving Unit, you spend most of your career not blowing bubbles. Not sure where you are located but the Coast Guard Hovercraft unit in Vancouver runs a dive team. You will find that diving for a living is not the nicest or easiest way to put bread on the table. Most of it is mundane, tedious, cold, hard and dangerous work.

You mean combat divers?

Class B PIDS dive lots, class A, have lots lots of diving opportunities as well. I m very familiar with their system. It's a quality program with lots of diving. Not a lot of rank progression but lots of diving.

Coast guards dive program is over. The RCMP and VPD received a weeks notice that they were taking over the duties and that their program was clearing out. So there is no hiring, expansion etc.

Just looked into it- my coast guard info is wrong. Their program is small, but full. It appears the decision to suspend was reversed.

It would not surprise me, the brass hated that program from day one and tried their best to shut it down. They would have succeeded except that a relation to the Minister of DFO decided to drive his car off the road right near the base. I have to give them a call get the lowdown.

Just called one of the people I know there and the divers were reclassified to reflect their duties (and pigeonhole them into a career limiting trade) but no word about shutting it down and very surprised to hear the rumour.

thanks for the info on the Combat divers, I am surprised they spend time on the class B guys getting them wet.

I went this evening at an information session held at the local NavRes HMCS and I was very surprised. The PO 1 responsible for recruiting told me I can be sent on my diver's course while still being Res Armour and transfer later to his unit if I prefered diving over Armour !

lambeosaurus said:
I went this evening at an information session held at the local NavRes HMCS and I was very surprised. The PO 1 responsible for recruiting told me I can be sent on my diver's course while still being Res Armour and transfer later to his unit if I prefered diving over Armour !

Please take that with a grain of salt.  I have experienced the opposite, with a Naval Reservist trying to switch over to Army Reserve, and the process was not that simple.  Remember, these are two different and separate Reserves; unlike the Regular Force.

George Wallace said:
Please take that with a grain of salt.  I have experienced the opposite, with a Naval Reservist trying to switch over to Army Reserve, and the process was not that simple.  Remember, these are two different and separate Reserves; unlike the Regular Force.

This, and the fact your current unit might take exception to another unit sending you on the course.  Go through the proper steps and channels, by sending up the transfer request memo through YOUR unit CofC.

The recruiter told a Army RMS clerk had been put on the course and had succeeded, so it was possible for me to do the same. But maybe this was possible because RMS clerk is a purple trade ?
Anyhow I'm just gonna give my memo, wait, wait and wait and then see what happens...

lambeosaurus said:
The recruiter told a Army RMS clerk had been put on the course and had succeeded, so it was possible for me to do the same. But maybe this was possible because RMS clerk is a purple trade ?
Anyhow I'm just gonna give my memo, wait, wait and wait and then see what happens...
The recruiter was right. The initial phase course for Port Inspection Diver is identical to the Ship's Team Diver course, which is available regardless of trade. Since DONNACONA has a dive team, if they support your nomination to the STD course (which runs regularly and almost always has vacancies), and NAVRESHQ is prepared to cover your costs (which they should if your transfer appears to be a fait accomplis), and your current unit doesn't object (which it may or may not depending on personalities), then you should be able to take the course pending the finalization of your transfer.

Fortunately, the CO of your current unit and the CO of your gaining unit are good friends, which is likely to smooth over any potential personality-related hang-ups.

hamiltongs said:
Fortunately, the CO of your current unit and the CO of your gaining unit are good friends, which is likely to smooth over any potential personality-related hang-ups.

..........And as I have said before, should both the Primary Reserve and Naval Reserve higher HQs give their approval.

George Wallace said:
..........And as I have said before, should both the Primary Reserve and Naval Reserve higher HQs give their approval.
I don't think I said anything to contradict that.

Just want to ensure that the OP does not get high hope of a very speedy process taking place.

Do you guys know why there isn't an option for port inspection diver in the talk to a recruiter section? I checked the " Jobs in this unit " section for each of the units but couldn't find it.

If you get in, I suspect you better get used to diving in odd orientation, diving under a ships hull is a very odd experience at first. If they use a Aga mask it may 'chatter" when your facing up. If they use surface supplied it might be a Kirby helmet or similar. The navy diving course focuses a lot on physical fitness, along with a good understanding of the science of diving. Any recreational diving you have done, but don't expect a PADI rescue Diver course to carry much weight with them. If your already a tech diver, then your understanding of diving physiology will help you on the courses.   

Thanks for the heads up. I have have no diving experience but do swim competitively which might help me out a bit. My first two trade choices will be army based so it might be a bit of a problem.

Truth Duty Valour Episode 402 – Ships Divers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhXokQ-5-pw&t=24s

There were some NAVRES PIDs among the trainees.

Anyone who's completed the PID course able to give me a heads up on what to expect? I have the Combat Eng DP1 to go off of for confirmation of combat knowledge amount.. as far as I've seen they do the ship's team diver course and then continue on after that for more training? PT wise, same as the other military courses? Flutter kicks, 5k runs, squats, pushups, planks, etc?

Cheers.

Back