• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Popularity amongst ANAVs for ship postings

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Inspired by the AVN/AVS thread:

Is MH a pretty popular request for posting prefs versus Auroras?  Like the OP of the AVN/AVS thread, I'm CT'ing over from the navy so I would prefer MH....and wondering about my chances of getting it (obviously knowing that preferences are just that, preferences.)  And, on that note, not to start an "East coast v West coast" thing but generally do people prefer Shearwater or Pat Bay...again, seeing what my chances of a posting to Pat Bay would be :)

Thanks!

Generally speaking, at least in the past, 25% of a BANC course would go MH. I'm not sure how this will change in the near future if at all. The popularity of MH varies course by course and the only way close to guaranteeing going MH is by finishing first on the course. However, that being said if you are on a course where nobody wants MH you should have a good chance. As for the pat-bay vs shearwater coming off banc it is pretty much 50-50 but unlike the navy it is pretty hard to stay on the west coast and you can pretty much count on leaving pat bay after one tour (4-5 years). Pretty much everyone in the MH community spends at least one tour in shearwater if not more. 

Hey guys, can you clarify what OP, MH (I'm assuming Maritime/Marine Helicopter) and BANC stand for?
Also, let's say I get into the 'MH' community, will I be locked in to working with Cyclones and Seakings only?
Thanks
p.s. Dimsum, when are you starting your course and which trade specifically?

BANC = Basic Air Navigator Course
MH = Maritime hellicopter
MP= Maritime Patrol
TAL = Tactical Airlift
SAR = Search And Rescue

You can fly more than one type of aircraft during your career.  Its not because you start out in MH that you will end up there for 20 years.

I'm slated to go Air Nav.  Second Language Training is expected to start in end-April...I'm not sure about BANC (but I'd suspect it's right afterwards.) 

Right on!  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to sail, and more specifically out on the west coast!  I'm hoping to be out there for longer than not, that is, if I even get out there in the first place.  Just can't beat BC, so here's hoping!
Good luck and keep us posted, I'll do the same :)

Back