• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Popular war movies depicting Canadian soldiers ...

Oh yes - the flapping headed ones armed with chainsaws and propeller driven airplanes - "Bombs ready Buddy!!" >:D

MM

This is a bit of a stretch:

Death Hunt (1981)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0082247/
Canada 1931: The unsociable trapper Johnson lives for himself in the ice-cold mountains near the Yukon river. During a visit in the town he witnesses a dog-fight. He interrupts the game and buys one of the dogs - almost dead already - for $200 against the owner's will. When the owner Hasel complains to mounty Sargeant Millen, he refuses to take action. But then the loathing breeder and his friends accuse Johnson of murder. So Millen, although sympathetic, has to try to take him under arrest - but Johnson defends his freedom in every way possible. From the synopsis on imdb.com.

Lee Marvin as RCMP constable Sgt. Edgar Millen, c'mon, it's a classic. This is "loosely" (and I use that term with hesitation) based on the mad trapper, Albert Johnson, played with quiet grunts by Charles Bronson. Although, here he seems to be a former American military intelligence operative who just wants to be left alone. Carl Weathers as (I really don't make this stuff up) George Washington Lincoln Brown, aka: Sundog, and that icon of 80s movies, Andrew Stevens as Const. Alvin Adams, RCMP.

And rest assured that this was an accurate and understanding portrayal of life in the North for the RCMP, trappers, mad spys, RCAF pilots and dogs... and the whores who loved them  ;D

Enzo said:
Death Hunt (1981)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0082247/

Lee Marvin as RCMP constable Sgt. Edgar Millen, c'mon, it's a classic. This is "loosely" (and I use that term with hesitation) based on the mad trapper, Albert Johnson, played with quiet grunts by Charles Bronson. Although, here he seems to be a former American military intelligence operative who just wants to be left alone.

I was thinking of that one myself at first, but didnt think there was any army connection.

Ive read the book about the real trapper person, almost nothing is known for sure about who he was and why he ended up where he did in the boonies.  But a former US int guy? What a crock!

Centurian1985 said:
I was thinking of that one myself at first, but didnt think there was any army connection.

Maybe not army, but the RCAF pilot was enjoyably laughable. I loved how they shot him down. It's a movie alrighty.

In the African Queen Bogarts character is Canadian But he has no prior military service. As for movies, Hope and Glory come to mind. The main characters older sister marries a Canadian soldier, and also Map of the Human Heart which is about an Inuit navigator in the RAF, Both good movies

bLUE fOX said:
In the African Queen Bogarts character is Canadian But he has no prior military service. As for movies, Hope and Glory come to mind. The main characters older sister marries a Canadian soldier, and also Map of the Human Heart which is about an Inuit navigator in the RAF, Both good movies

Actually that is up in the air about Bogart's character's Canadian military experience because he was one of the boatmen recruited to rescue General Gordon from the Sudan. They tried unsuccessfully to bring over Canadian "Voyageurs" to go down the Nile and Bogart mentions he was one of them. Whether they were 'military' I am not sure but I will check.

It is a well researched and interesting connection which IMHO adds a nice touch to a great movie.

rick7475 said:
Actually that is up in the air about Bogart's character's Canadian military experience because he was one of the boatmen recruited to rescue General Gordon from the Sudan. They tried unsuccessfully to bring over Canadian "Voyageurs" to go down the Nile and Bogart mentions he was one of them. Whether they were 'military' I am not sure but I will check.

It is a well researched and interesting connection which IMHO adds a nice touch to a great movie.

Y'serious?? That is good research, I'm impressed and I may have to see this movie (I've been living under a rock for most of my life eh).

Submarine X-1 - James Caan stars as a Canadian midget submarine commander during WW2.  They train and then execute a underwater raid against the German Navy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063655/

I had another in mind, by the title escapes me.

I am not sure about the name but there was a Sunday night CBC movie about a couple of  years  ago about Canadian fighter pilots who came home I  think after the Battle Britian to PEI  to train new fighter pilots . While the Main character was dealing with the death of a younger squadron mate turns out later in the movie that the main character is actually boarding with the young squadron mates family  does any one remember the name of this movie I cant think of it for the likes of me but it was good to watch even though it was CBC

Are we limited to actors, or include films made in Canada? (i.e. Harrison Ford in K-19 Widomaker, filmed near Winnipeg, MB)

Anyone ever hear of a CBC drama on TV in about 1971 called Passchendaele? It may have been a 60 minute programme.

Secondly, what about a movie with Russel Crowe, called For The Moment, a story about the Air Force training bases with flyers from all the BCW, takes place in Virden MB, and filmed locally too. 

EDIT: What about the movie baron Von Richtofen and Brown. 1970's flick

Cheers,

Wes

Centurian1985 said:
Are we limited to actors, or include films made in Canada? (i.e. Harrison Ford in K-19 Widomaker, filmed near Winnipeg, MB)

my impression was the category was for war movies depicting Canadian soldiers....K19 was also filmed in Halifax as well.

Wesley 'Down Under' said:
EDIT: What about the movie baron Von Richtofen and Brown. 1970's flick

Cheers,

Wes

Anything from Roger Corman is hard to take seriously, but that one was actually a little more serious than most of his works. Aside from the garish use of red paint for blood, it was actually not bad, and the flying sequences gained a lot of attention. Doesn't really focus much on Brown's nationality and he spends most of the film, IIRC, brooding and acting out of place.  I did love that we got to see Hermann Goering though.

CBC and Galafilm are making a documentary about WW1 in the next few weeks.(full sacle trench mock up with re-enactors)called the Great war Project. If anyone is interested, they (along with LFQA) are having an open house on Sunday the 23rd of July between 1and 4 PM.

www.greatwar.ca

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049665/

You'll want to catch this one, Reach For the Sky, about Douglas Bader. He commanded 242, Canadian Squadron during the BoB. Several notable Canadian Fighter pilots are mentioned such as Stan Turner and a few others. I thought it was excellent bio pic with great visuals and a who's who of the RAF and even some famous POW's from the Great Escape (though Bader was held in Colditz and not Stalag Luft 3 he did meet W/C Harry Day).

How about a British movie about a british kid growing up during the blitz ,Ijust cant remember the title
but the Canadian content was that his older sister gets put in the family way by a young private in the
Vandoos who goes AWOL to do the honerable thing and right after the ceremony is marched away to
the crowbar hotel by two large MPs .I suspect a much more accurate picture than the usual portrail of
Canadian soldiers in foreign films. 

How about a British movie about a british kid growing up during the blitz ,Ijust cant remember the title

Think the movie you're referring to is "Hope and Glory" directed by John Boorman (1987); excellent movie....

cheers, mdh

Back