• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

POLL: Will You Vote for the Liberals.................

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
...as dief and pearson didnt need to replace that much equipment under their reign). ...

- You mean other than the Mid-Canada Line, Pinetree Line, CF-101, CF-104, BOMARCS, Honest Johns, Nuclear Warheads, DDH 280s, M113 APC family (over 1,300 vehicles), M-109 SP 155mm howitzers, C-130 Hercules, CC-115 Buffalos, Boeing 707, CF-5, re-fitting HMCS Bonaventure (then scrapping it), adding two more Regular Armoured Regiments...

"Hell no", I very much disagree with his position on countless issues and I "really" don't want the liberals to downplay our country any more than they have in the last few decades before Harper and Hillier came about. I'm afraid I loath everything that is liberal.

I knew when the Liberals had their leadership race it would be for leader of the opposition.  Dion fills that position nicely.  He will never get my vote and they will have to have another leadership race before I go back to voting Liberal.

I respect Canada, and could never vote foe vote the Liberals their the worst party anyone could vote for.  And now under Dion their even worst.  The Green shift is nothing more than a new way to tax more things... and the Liberals love to tax. 

I will be voting Conservative....why?

Not going to screw up a good thing. Remember history tends to repeat itself. Lets get a majority government so we can even have a government.

Cheers

TacticalW said:
few decades before Harper and Hillier came about.

You seem to forget the Hillier was appointed by Mr. Martin, the last Liberal PM.

I personally still have not decided who to vote for, as I do not vote along party lines, but for the candidate that I believe will represent the riding the best.

I have always voted C but, interestingly enough, I would have voted Liberal if Iggy was the leader and Colin Kenny the defence min in waiting or maybe even Dallaire.

Fat chance however as the liberals have gone too far to the left and the conservatives do not seem too far to the right anymore.

In reference to levels of defence spending, I think Trudeau had to spend that much due to the commitments of previous gov; otherwise the decline would have started sooner. Mulrooney could not spend as much as Beatty wanted due to the economic conditions at the time and the budget commitments already introduced. What the article that referenced the defence budget levels did not mention was that the Trudeau defence budget was already in decline compared to the Pearson and Dief budgets.

Sorry, no references. If it bugs you, look it up and prove me wrong  ;D

The Conservatives governed Canada for over forty of the country's first seventy years of existence. However, out of the last 100 years the Conservatives have spent the majority of their history in opposition as the nation's number two federal party, behind the Liberals.  In fact they have only been in power 24.5 years.  The Liberals govern until they get so corruped we need a change.  Then we put the Conservatives in for a turm or two until the liberals clean house.  Then we put them back in.  It is past time for them to start cleaning their house.

Rodahn said:
You seem to forget the Hillier was appointed by Mr. Martin, the last Liberal PM.

I personally still have not decided who to vote for, as I do not vote along party lines, but for the candidate that I believe will represent the riding the best.

I could never understand why someone would vote that way.  The candidates might be local, but once they get to Ottawa they vote along party lines.  I can't remember a MP who picked riding over party.  Oh wait I do know of one, Jean Chrétien.  But I think most people viewed riding support as pork barreling.

This is my first time voting for a PM... I'm really not too sure who I want to vote for yet. If Justin Trudeau was running, I'd be 100% sure I would vote for him. I heard he was running for something, not sure what though.
Here's the way I see it:
Stephen Harper did an OK job as PM.  He was certainly not outstanding, but he didn't mess up like Paul Martin.
It seems that although the Torries did a not bad of a job at making a minority government work, it IS time for a majority. (Which most likely rules out the NDP)
I am totally neutral, as I'm rather new to this whole voting thing, but I wouldn't want Stephane Dion as our leader. Especially living in Saskatchewan! He's admitted that Sask. would be one of the hardest hit provinces with his "carbon tax".

Overall, no one is standing out in my eyes. I'm not really seeing anything extraordinary, but it's likely I'll vote conservative.

crystalrh said:
This is my first time voting for a PM... I'm really not too sure who I want to vote for yet. If Justin Trudeau was running, I'd be 100% sure I would vote for him. I heard he was running for something, not sure what though.

And why would you do that?  Because he is cute, or what?

Haha not at all.
I think he's got the right idea about Canada.
He would like to support the arts in our country, because we do have TONS of talent here, but there is not nearly enough funding to support our artists. He has seen his father be the PM, he's still young and can relate with the younger voters (which is a big thing these days), and with a little more experience under his belt I think he would in the future be a great PM if he gets the chance.

crystalrh said:
Haha not at all.
I think he's got the right idea about Canada.
He would like to support the arts in our country, because we do have TONS of talent here, but there is not nearly enough funding to support our artists. He has seen his father be the PM, he's still young and can relate with the younger voters (which is a big thing these days), and with a little more experience under his belt I think he would in the future be a great PM if he gets the chance.

What is so special about the Arts?  The Conservatives made a 8% increase in payments to the Arts.  Now they want more.

The Arts should be like any other segment of Canadian society.  If a business of any nature can not survive on its own, then that means there is no market, or mismanagement, or something else wrong with their business/product.  Why should the Arts be any different?  If there is no market for an Artist's product, be it music, sculpture, graffiti, or whatever, why should they be subsidized. 

Does the Canadian Government need to subsidize every walk of life in this country? 

We have to stop subsidizing failing businesses as well.    There is no need paying Tax Payers monies for something that no one wants or needs.

Anyone seen that giant spider in front of the National Art Gallery?    ::)

he's still young and can relate with the younger voters (which is a big thing these days), and with a little more experience under his belt I think he would in the future be a great PM if he gets the chance.

Soooo.....he's young and can relate with the younger voters, but you want him older (like the guys in there now that have gained experience) so he could become PM........okay.......

Surely the businesses must stand on their own, but what about schools? If we had more successful schools like the Vancouver Film School, artists could take advantage of that instead of going south of the border to go to a decent arts school. Before I decided I wanted to join the CF, I wanted to be a musician, but Canada has really nothing to offer, and its tough for a Canadian artist to really pursue a strong career.
And what I'm saying about his youth... Is he appeals to young voters right now (which he'll try and hold on to), future voters included. Even in a few years he'll still be young (as of now he's 36).

crystalrh said:
He has seen his father be the PM, he's still young and can relate with the younger voters (which is a big thing these days),

Yet one more reason why I think people should have to do something constructive for the country in order to vote, rather than just be 18.
I'm well aware of my age, but bear with me. Unless they actually spend time following politics closely, most young voters I've spoken to tend to vote for someone because because they're the most likeable, most anti-US/Bush and most environmental.
I think it would be nice if people actually had to add to the country to vote (within reason)......Starship Troopers, anyone?

Midget

crystalrh said:
And what I'm saying about his youth... Is he appeals to young voters right now (which he'll try and hold on to), future voters included. Even in a few years he'll still be young (as of now he's 36).

So by the time he gets in, gains parliamentary experience, works his way up the party hierarchy, runs and gets leadership of the Liberal party, he should be what......43-45....maybe a bit older,......gosh that's the same age as a lot of those OLD guys.....sheesh....you just can't win......

crystalrh said:
Surely the businesses must stand on their own, but what about schools? If we had more successful schools like the Vancouver Film School, artists could take advantage of that instead of going south of the border to go to a decent arts school. Before I decided I wanted to join the CF, I wanted to be a musician, but Canada has really nothing to offer, and its tough for a Canadian artist to really pursue a strong career.

Crystal, I just want to ask you about some of the assumptions you seem to be making in your statements (and I'm not judging you harshly because to be honest a lot of times these mantras are so often repeated in the media that no one even questions them).

1)  If the government has $1 million to spend on education subsidies, why should it go to the arts, as opposed to say medicine?  I would contend that the number of dollars for education subsidy should always be looked at as a fixed pool as we as taxpayers are not a limitless resource.  Ergo, ever dollar of spending should always be assessed by the simple rule of "Is there anything else that would provide a better ROI for the average Canadian than what we're proposing?"  In the case of arts spending, I think it's very hard to make a case that it should take priority over anything.  Medical training.  Medical Equipment.  Medical Salaries.  Water Treatment Infrastructure.  Road Infrastructure.  Renewable Energy Generation.  Debt Reduction. Etc.  Etc.  Etc. 

2)  Why is that artists are entitled to be subsidized at all?  They appear to believe they are entitled to be paid by government (which means your taxes, my taxes, etc.) to do what they love to do.  Well the newsflash is (and you'll find this out more when you're older) that as a worker, your job often sucks.  It's hard.  It's tiring.  It's stressful.  And yet everyday the non-artists get up out of bed, suck it up, so that we can make ends meet with our disposable income that's left over after paying our taxes.  The point being that frankly I'm resentful that my government deems it worthy to take ANY money from me and hand it over to 'artists' who wish to follow their spirit guide on a trip of enlightenment.  Bluntly, I have no problem with artists (I actually oil paint in my spare time which isn't much considering the amount of overtime I work to make my ends meet), but if they want to pursue their art, they need to do it on their own dime....

By the way, re: Trudeau Jr., beware falling for charisma over substance.  It's easy to talk in platitudes on topics.  What you need is the guy (or girl) who can point you the direction they're going and then draw their own detailed blueprints.

Cheers, Matthew.  :salute:

If you want a strong Defence Force and keep your guns, vote Conservative.

End of story as I have always seen it  ;D

EDIT: Although I've missed the past three Cdn federal elections (my first fed election vote was in the late 70's), why is every time I hear the word Truedeau, I think of fuddle-duddle, the ruination and de-unification of our Defence Force, Mick Jagger, and of course Margret's pantiless and hairy beaver being exposed in our faces in that infamous B&W pic! Crikey, I can never forget that pic ever  >:D .

Keep Trudeau's out of politics PLEASE - gag.

OWDU

I will not vote for the liberals, or the ndp, or the greens, or the tories......

I aupport the NL first party, but they are not in my riding, so I will probably spoil the ballot.

As much as I dont like harper, the tories are the only party that knows anything about defenc,e and who is willing to beef up the military, not put it into anorexia

Back