• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Polish Civilian and Military Leadership Killed in Crash

President of Poland Killed in Plane Crash in Russia

This article was reported by Nicholas Kulish, Ellen Barry and Michal Piotrowski, and written by Ms. Barry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/world/europe/11poland.html

WARSAW — A plane carrying the Polish president and dozens of the country’s top political and military leaders to the site of the Soviet massacre of Polish officers in World War II crashed in western Russia on Saturday, killing everyone on board.

President Lech Kaczynski’s plane tried to land in a thick fog, missing the runway and snagging treetops about half a mile from the airport in Smolensk, scattering chunks of flaming fuselage across a bare forest.

The crash came as a stunning blow to Poland, wiping out a large portion of the country’s leadership in one fiery explosion. And in a bizarre twist, it happened at the moment that Russia and Poland were beginning to come to terms with the killing of more than 20,000 members of Poland’s elite officer corps in the same place 70 years ago.

“It is a damned place,” former President Aleksander Kwasniewski told TVN24. “It sends shivers down my spine.”

“This is a wound which will be very difficult to heal,” he said.

A top Russian military official said air traffic controllers at the Smolensk airport had several times ordered the crew of the plane not to land, warned that it was descending below the glide path, and recommended it reroute to another airport.

“Nevertheless, the crew continued the descent,” said Lt. Gen. Aleksandr Alyoshin, the first deputy chief of the Russian Air Force Staff. “Unfortunately, the result was tragic.”

Russian emergency officials said 97 people were killed. They included Poland’s deputy foreign minister and a dozen members of Parliament, the chiefs of the army and the navy, and the president of the national bank. They included Anna Walentynowicz, 80, the former dock worker whose firing in 1980 set off the Solidarity strike that ultimately overthrew Polish Communism, as well as relatives of victims of the massacre that they were on their way to commemorate.

Poles united in their grief in a way that recalled the death of the Polish pope, John Paul II, five years ago. Thousands massed outside the Presidential Palace, laying flowers and lighting candles.

Magda Niemczyk, a 24-year-old student, held a single tulip. “I wanted to be together with the other Polish people,” she said.

“It’s a national tragedy,” said Ryszard Figurski, 70, a retired telecommunications worker. “Apart from their official positions, it is also simply the loss of so many lives.”

Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski, one of the highest-ranking Polish leaders not on board the plane, told Poland’s Radio Zet that he was the one to inform Prime Minister Donald Tusk, who “was in tears when he heard about the catastrophe.”

Devastating as the loss was, its connection with the 1940 massacre at Katyn shocked the nation. The crash happened days after Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin became the first Russian leader to join Polish officials in commemorating the massacre, a wound that has festered between the two countries for decades and to Poles symbolized Russian domination.

Former President Lech Walesa, who presided over Poland’s transition from Communism, called the crash “the second disaster after Katyn.”

“They wanted to cut off our head there, and here the flower of our nation has also perished,” he said.

The repercussions on Poland’s coming presidential elections were far from clear. The Law and Justice Party lost numerous important leaders in addition to the president, including its parliamentary leader. Mr. Kaczynski had been trailing far behind his opponent in the polls, but the outpouring of sympathy from the mourning public might benefit his party in the moved-up presidential election.

Under Poland’s Constitution, the leader of the lower house of Parliament, now acting president, has 14 days to announce new elections, which must then take place within 60 days.

While the crash is not likely to substantially change Poland’s relationships with other countries, including its plans to host part of an American missile defense system, it could agitate Poland’s relationship with Russia.

Mr. Kaczysnki, 60, who often put Poland on a collision course with Russia, was on his way to the Katyn forest, where 70 years ago members of the Soviet secret police executed more than 20,000 Polish officers captured after the Red Army invaded Poland in 1939.

On Wednesday, Mr. Putin of Russia took a major step to improve relations by becoming the first Russian or Soviet leader to join Polish officials in commemorating the anniversary. He was joined there by Mr. Tusk.

Mr. Kaczynski, seen by the Kremlin as less friendly to Russia, was not invited. Instead, he decided to attend a separate, Polish-organized event on Saturday.

Russia’s leaders, acutely aware of the potential political fallout of the crash, immediately reached out to Poland with condolences over the deaths. Mr. Putin left Moscow to meet his Polish counterpart, Mr. Tusk, at the site of the crash, and President Dmitri A. Medvedev recorded an address to the Polish people, saying, “All Russians share your sorrow and mourning.”

The plane was a 20-year-old Tupolev Tu-154, designed by the Soviets in the mid-1960s and operated by the Polish air force. Russia halted mass production of the jet about 20 years ago, and about 200 of them are still in service around the world, said Paul Hayes, director of accidents and insurance at Ascend, an aviation consultancy in London. He said the Polish presidential jet was one of the youngest of them.

Officials in Poland have repeatedly requested that the government’s aging air fleet be replaced. Former Prime Minister Leszek Miller, who survived a helicopter crash in 2003, told Polish news media he had long predicted such a disaster.

“I once said that we will one day meet in a funeral procession, and that is when we will take the decision to replace the aircraft fleet,” he said.

It was unclear whether the plane’s age was a factor in the crash. The crash site was cordoned off, but Russian news media reported that the airplane’s crew made several attempts to land before a wing hit the treetops and the plane crashed about half a mile from the runway. Correspondents at the scene said the plane’s explosion was so powerful that fragments of it were scattered as far as the outskirts of Smolensk, more than a mile from the crash site.

A spokesman for Poland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said 88 passengers were on the plane.

Among those on board the plane, the Polish government said, were Mr. Kaczynski; his wife, Maria; Ryszard Kaczorowski, who led a government in exile during the Communist era; the deputy speaker of Poland’s Parliament, Jerzy Szmajdzinski; the head of the president’s chancellery, Wladyslaw Stasiak; the head of the National Security Bureau, Aleksander Szczyglo; the deputy minister of foreign affairs, Andrzej Kremer; the chief of the general staff of the Polish Army, Franciszek Gagor; the president of Poland’s national bank, Slawomir Skrzypek; and the commissioner for civil rights protection, Janusz Kochanowski.

Mr. Kaczysnki, 60, was elected president in 2005 just as his identical twin brother, Jaroslaw, became head of the nationalist-conservative Law and Justice government. He forged close relationships with Ukraine and Georgia and pushed for their accession into NATO, arguing passionately that a stronger NATO would keep Russia from reasserting its influence over Eastern Europe.

He was a major supporter of plans for part of an American antiballistic missile defense system to be based in Poland, infuriating Russia. Although that proposal by President George W. Bush was scaled back by President Obama, Polish officials have said they still plan to host American surface-to-air missiles in northern Poland.

That plan is unlikely to be affected by the crash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/world/europe/11poland.html

This is absolutely tragic! My condolences go out to the country of Poland and all those effected.

I've been away all day so I didn't get to post earlier but after I state what a tragedy this is for the whole country.

[rant] What I can't believe was that on the way home from work this morning on 680 news is that this story came on after 5 minutes of friggin' "Tiger Woods" kife.[rant]

Just wanted to add this partial list of those who died on the flight to give some sense of the scope of the impact to the Polish senior government and military.

A full list of those who died in the plane crash has not been released as of this time, but some of the names have been confirmed.

Lech Kaczynski - President of Poland

Maria Kaczynski - President's Wife

Pawel Wypych - Presidential aide

Mariusz Handzlik - Presidential aide

Ryszard Kaczorowski - Between 1989 and 1990 he served as the last Polish President in exile

Aleksander Szczyglo - Head of National Security Office

Andrzej Kremer - Deputy Foreign Minister

Jerzy Szmajdzinski - Former Defense Minister

Andrzej Przewoznik - in Charge of WWII Memorials

Gen. Franciszek Gagor - Head of Army Chief of Staff

Janusz Kurtyka - Head of the National Remembrance Institute

Slawomir Skrzypek - Head of National Bank of Poland

Janusz Kochanowski - Civil Rights Commissioner

Bishop Tadeusz Ploski - Army Chaplain

Przemyslaw Gosiewski - Lawmaker

Zbigniew Wassermann - Lawmaker

Grzegorz Dolniak - Lawmaker

General Tadeusz Buk - Head of Land Forces in Poland

Leszek Deptula - Member of Parliament

Katarzyna Doraczynska - Chancellery for the President

Janina Fetlinska - Senator

General Franciszek Gagor - Chief of Staff

Grazyna Gesicka - Member of Parliament

Przemyslaw Gosiewski - Member of Parliament

Izabela Jaruga-Nowacka - Member of Parliament

Sebastian Karpiniuk - Member of Parliament

Admiral Andrzej Karweta - Head of Polish Navy 

Mariusz Kazana - Member of Foreign Ministry

Janusz Kochanowski, Poland's Ombudsman

Stanislaw Jerzy Komorowski - Deputy Defence Minister

Tomasz Merta - Deputy Culture Minister

Aleksandra Natalli-Swiat - Member of Parliament

Piotr Nurowski - Head of the Polish Olympics Committee

Krzysztof Putra - Deputy Speaker of Parliament

Arkadiusz Rybicki - Member of Parliament

Wladyslaw Stasiak - Head of Kaczynski's Chancellery

Jolanta Szymanek-Deresz - Member of Parliament

Izabela Tomaszewska - Chancellery for the President

Anna Walentynowicz - Former Solidarity Activist

Wieslaw Woda - Member of Parliament

Edward Wojtas - Member of Parliament

Stanislaw Zajac - Senator

Any thoughts on the fact that Vladimir Putin is heading the Russian side of the investigation? I'm sure that KGB training and FSB connections would come in handy -_-

I just dont see this as an act committed by the FSB, too clumsy. Unless there is evidence to the contrary this is going to be pilot error.

tomahawk6 said:
I just dont see this as an act committed by the FSB, too clumsy. Unless there is evidence to the contrary this is going to be pilot error.

Initial reports indicate that the airport was closed due to fog, but the pilot tried to land anyway. Made three unsuccessful attempts which should have told the pilot it was time to go somewhere else. Made a fourth attempt and the rest is history.  According to ARES the aircraft was made in 1990 and had just recently undergone an overhaul.

Polish Tu-154M Crash Update: Black Boxes Recovered, Aircraft Recently Overhauled
Posted by Robert Wall at 4/11/2010 10:38 AM CDT

More details are emerging about yesterday's crash of a Polish air force Tu-154Mthat killed the country's president and 95 others, including the extent to which Poland's military high command has been decimated as a result of the accident.
The Tu-154M was built in 1990 and is one of two operated by the Polish air force's 36th Special Air Transport Regiment in Warsaw. The aircraft had logged 5,141 flight hours, according the the Polish defense ministry.
The aircraft had recently completed its third major overhaul, work that wrapped up on December 21, 2009.
Meanwhile, the cockpit voice and flight data recorders have been recovered. Early reports suggest there was no technical fault, although that, at best, is a preliminary assessment.
There are reports from the region that air traffic controllers had advised the pilot not to attempt the landing at the Smolensk military air base owing to poor weather.
The crash is devastating not just to the country, but the military establishment. Along with the president, the chief of the general staff, head of the army, navy, air force and special forces are among the victims.

Russia makes arrests over Polish plane wreck theft
Tuesday, 8 June 2010 11:05 UK
Article Link

Russian security forces at scene of Polish president's plane crash Russian security forces secured the scene of the plane crash

At least three Russian security staff have been arrested on suspicion of using the credit cards of a passenger killed when the Polish president's plane crashed in Russia in April.

About 6,000 Polish zloty (£2,000) was withdrawn on the cards, Polish investigators said on Monday.

Russia initially denied both the theft and arrests had taken place.

Russia's defence ministry now says it will pay compensation if the suspects' guilt is confirmed.

There are conflicting reports by Russian state media of the number of security personnel detained.
'Already confessed'

The Russian Prosecutor's Investigations Office is quoted as saying that a criminal case had been opened against four Russian soldiers for "theft carried out by a group with premeditation".

They have already confessed, a spokesman was quoted by Itar-Tass and Ekho Moskvy as saying. The sum stolen totals more than 60,000 roubles (£1,300), according to Russian media.
More on link

Reviving necro thread with latest....
Polish Defence Minister Bogdan Klich resigned after a damning report into last year's air crash in Russia that killed president Lech Kaczynski, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Friday.

The report indicted the armed forces, saying the crew of Kaczynski's plane were ill-trained and ill-prepared.

"Defence Minister Bogdan Klich handed me his resignation yesterday and I accepted it today," Tusk told journalists following the publication of the report commissioned by the government.

He said he would nominate deputy interior minister Tomasz Siemoniak to take his place.

The report said the pilots of the jet made a series of errors as they approached Smolensk airport in fog in April last year with Kaczynski and scores of other top officials aboard.

"The aircraft commander, co-pilot, and navigator had been trained hastily, haphazardly, and in violation of the respective training regulations," it said.

The navigator's Russian was weak, and the meteorological information was incomplete, the inquiry commission said, while also pointing at faults on the Russian side ....
Source:  AFP, 29 Jul 11

I'm going to stir the pot a bit here.

and to make this clear i don't not support this idea and i don't not wish to offend anyone. This is not my point of view.

but hypothetically what is it was a planned attack. i found an interesting video and if you guys wish you and watch it go ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEx7HL4H5yk

P.S. Remember i just stumbled along this video don't destroy me for posting it

SixFishSticks said:
I'm going to stir the pot a bit here.

It is not conspiracy.
It is much more primitive than that ... just plain ignorance, profanity and negligence by Polish pilots coupled with all this stress and rush athmosphere created by Polish government officials including the president himself.

For all interested here is the investigation report.
It explains very clear the maddness that was happening aboard.

http://www.mak.ru/english/info/tu-154m_101.html

Back