• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Union spying on self ?

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I can't figure this one out ???

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/07/14/1684262-sun.html

Spy camera furor
Hidden cameras recently discovered at Toronto Police Association headquarters
By ALAN CAIRNS, TORONTO SUN

The Toronto Police Association's headquarters is located at 180 Yorkland Blvd. (Ernest Doroszuk/Sun)
Toronto police union staffers were left stunned last week after learning that tiny spy cameras were hidden in exit signs in union headquarters.

Three pinhole video cameras -- each focused on strategic areas on the second-floor of the Toronto Police Association's offices at 180 Yorkland Blvd. -- were removed from their exit sign housings when staff raised concerns, sources say.

It is believed the spy cameras were put in by a Toronto security company two years ago by order of a union director.

Staff were shocked when they first learned about the cameras two weeks ago, sources say.

GRIEVANCES FILED

Administrative staff and several union directors apparently did not have a clue that the cameras existed.

But union president Dave Wilson downplayed the cameras last night, saying they had been part of a typical security system that had been installed by the prior board and then maintained by him.

Several female staffers have filed union grievances which complain about the "surreptitious placement" of cameras in the workplace, the Toronto Sun has learned.

The grievances also question Wilson's ability to "view the cameras at offsite locations" through computerized Internet access.

Some female clerks told friends they worried they may have been caught on video when changing from business to casual clothing at the end of a work day.

The hidden cameras were quickly removed, but concerns linger that more spy cameras remain.

Sources say some directors want the headquarters swept for potential telephone and other bugging devices.

TIGHT-LIPPED

Union vice-president Al Olsen was tight-lipped when contacted by the Sun last night. "I can't say anything at this time ... I don't want to make any comment on that," Olsen said.

Olsen refused to say if an internal probe has been launched.

Wilson said the board was aware of the cameras all along. He said the cameras were installed at a time when the union was dealing with some "difficult situations."

Wilson said he is sure "members of the board were aware" the cameras were installed, but he could not immediately point to a full -- or even partial -- recorded decision of the nine-man board on the issue.

He said it would be "almost impossible" for one person to unilaterally order the installation of the cameras.

Wilson said board members made him aware of the cameras when he assumed the presidency in late 2004.

"I can assure you I wasn't the only one who knew about the cameras ... I was told by board members after my arrival that they existed ... I asked the questions I felt were necessary and I understand why the decision was made," Wilson said.

NEWS SPREAD QUICKLY

Union director Mike McCormack confirmed a grievance had been filed by the civilian staffers' union, but refused to give details, or comment on the cameras.

"I will wait until due process is followed and the facts are gathered ... any concerns I have will be taken up with the TPA board of directors," said McCormack, whose bid for the presidency is backed by a slate of candidates.

As word of the hidden cameras spread like wildfire through the service yesterday, one veteran union member said secret spy cameras are an "outrageous" breach of privacy.

First I would take the innuendos with a grain of salt. A lot of rhetoric is being spewed in the article, statements by themselves, probably out of context. To me it sounds like typical passageway, common area monitoring that the paper is trying to pump up, because the union has a grievance.

Very weird. It is claimed that these cameras were installed by the previous board and people knew about them, yet the current board claims not to know about them?

Public security cameras are usually mounted obtrusively so you know you are under surveillance, pinhole cameras concealed inside an exit sign are soemthing altogether different.

Can't wait to hear more about this.

Back