• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police seek Canadian Forces soldier in connection with explosion

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
Police seek Canadian Forces soldier in connection with explosion

Canadian Press
Published: Saturday, May 13, 2006
Article tools

QUEBEC (CP) - Police are looking for a Canadian Forces soldier after an explosion ripped apart an apartment earlier this weekend.

Officials say traces of military explosives were found in the building. Police believe the soldier was in the apartment at the time of the explosion, but he has not been seen since.

No one was injured in the Friday night blast, and the damage was contained to the one apartment in the building.

Police suspect the soldier was based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, located just outside of Quebec City.

CFB Valcartier says it will not comment on the incident until police complete their investigation.
© The Canadian Press 2006

hmm.... happened friday night and police are already blaming it on military explosives. I'm curious now, did they find wrappers or actual pieces of explosives  ???

I'm just hoping it's all a mistake. That the young man did not have any ordnance in his apartment, that it was a gas leak or something, and most of all, that he wasn't in the building, but is off somewhere recovering from a hangover, and just hasn't seen the news yet.

Yes, the facts gentlemen, just the facts...well like para says...
Let's wait and see.

HL

He probably just came off a two week ex with nothing but IMPs.  Sitting on porcelain for the first time in that period could cause a gas build up. :eek:

Another news article on this:
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings Copyright.....
From the Montreal Gazette:

Soldiers Sought After Blast In Apartment

Police are looking for at least two soldiers from the Canadian Forces Base Valcartier after an explosion rocked an apartment building in the provincial capital on Friday. Officials say traces of military explosives were found after the explosion near the Universite Laval campus. No one was injured and damage was contained to the one apartment. At least five people were in the apartment during the blast, Quebec City police Lt. Steve Baker said. Police are seeking other occupants, who may also be soldiers, to find out how the explosives came to be in the apartment and whether the explosion was accidental. A CFB Valcartier official said the soldiers could be brought before a military tribunal.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=482c6466-30a0-481e-b813-b126dca4349c

Soldiers questioned in Quebec City blast
Last Updated Mon, 15 May 2006 15:19:27 EDT
CBC News

Four Canadian Forces soldiers are being questioned in connection with an explosion Friday in a Quebec City apartment.

No one was injured in the blast but police recovered military training explosives from the apartment.

The four people being questioned are stationed at the Canadian Forces Base Valcartier near Quebec City.

Police say that while the four are believed to have been present at the time of the incident, no charges have been filed.

Valcartier spokesman Capt. Eric Chamberland says the origin of the explosives has yet to be determined.

However, he said there are strict security measures in place to prevent someone from smuggling ammunitions or weapons off a Canadian military base.

"The soldiers only have access to those for a specific point in time on the base for a specific exercise," Chamberland said. "So after the exercise, everything is picked up and locked in bunkers or a vault, and usually everything is accounted for before and after."

Police say anyone found responsible for Friday's incident could face serious charges, including possession and negligent storage of explosives.

Spanky said:
He probably just came off a two week ex with nothing but IMPs.  Sitting on porcelain for the first time in that period could cause a gas build up. :eek:
Its funny cause its true, and they dont ask you if you have and built up gas from IMPs during your declaration either. :dontpanic:

I hope the truth isn't what the media is portraying here...

I have to wonder if they are classifying arty sims, or grenade sims as "explosives". 

Blackhorse7 said:
I have to wonder if they are classifying arty sims, or grenade sims as "explosives". 

they are, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that an arty sim is equivalent to a 1/4 stick of dynamite.

I would think that they do, as they are explosive devices.

Thunderflashes, Arty Sims, etc.  An Arty Sim in a 12 x 12 room will kill.

George Wallace said:
An Arty Sim in a 12 x 12 room will kill.

Or f*#k you up big.  Was on the receiving end of exactly that at the old NST site in Petawawa in 1980.

Happens all the time 90%, of our EOD calls in Canada are to pick -up military ordance that dumb asses take home at the end of Ex.

Thunderflashes, Simulator Projectile Ground Burst (Arty Sim) are considered Pyrotechinc devices,

If anyone has items at home they "forgot" to return at the end of a Ex please deposit them in a amnesty box
or call you local police to arrange pick-up

Nothing worse then investigating a child hurt cause some dumb ass took some pyro, demo stores, or ammo home.

Ammogod

Second that about turning pyrotechniques in. Many years ago I had to comment on an investigation of an ammunition accident. In this case a woman had found a thunderflash in a yard and took it home. She admitted that she didn't read very well and was playing with it. She struck it and apparently figured it was a sparkler because of what was coming off the fuse. She was showing it to her toddler when it exploded, burning both of them and inflicting some major damage to the rooom they were in at the time.

Has anyone seen anything on the news/newspapers to confirm this?  I did not see one thing here in Halifax about this other than Army.ca

Mud

Reply # 6 has this link:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=482c6466-30a0-481e-b813-b126dca4349c

Thanks George,

I was wondering if there was anything "newer", did a Google but didn't get a hit.

MRM

"inflicting some major damage to the rooom they were in at the time."

- A Thunderflash does major damage to a room?  Where was this, Japan?

;D

Tom

...If there was significant damage done, I would think it would be more than a thunderflash... :-\

Back