• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police detonate explosive devices; cache of IEDs and Wpns - TIMMINS 17 Dec 2010

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
Police detonate explosive devices on Front Street after a cache of IEDs and weapons discovered.

http://www.timminstimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2895412

TIMMINS TIMES UPDATE: 7:00 p.m.. Friday December 17, 2010 --- Ontario Provincial Police bomb disposal experts set off at least three detonations on Front Street in Porcupine Friday evening near the house where a cache of explosives and firearms were found.

The three detonations were believed to be blasting caps attached to explosive devices found by police earlier in the day while executing "a public safety warrant." Ontario Provincial Police information officer Marc Depatie said police officers located a cache of "improvised explosive devices" (IED)as well as several firearms.

"For those reasons the scene was frozen and a100 metre perimeter was set up," Depatie explained.
Police were not revealing much about the nature of the explosives but at around 5:30 p.m. just as darkness was falling, police called for several fire trucks to be stationed around the Front Street neighbourhood. Officers were advised to "take cover" and move behind vehicles. The explosives officers then requested radio silence leading witnesses to believe that blasting caps were being used.

Several moments later, an OPP officer shouted "Firing, firing, firing," which was followed immediately by the sound of an explosive being set off.

One witness, a mine worker living on Front Street, said it sounded like blasting caps and certainly not "an explosion" of any substance. There was no obvious flash or any visible smoke immediately after the detonations.

The OPP explosives disposal unit from regional headquarters in North Bay arrived in the city around 4:35 p.m. The OPP crew went immediately into a meeting with local police officials. The meeting was held inside the new Timmins Police mobile command post.

In the meantime, Timmins Police have issued a news release saying the evacuated residents are being allowed to return to their homes. Police also thanked residents for their patience.

(Moderator edit to put location and date in thread title.)

Navalsnipr said:
One witness, a mine worker living on Front Street, said it sounded like blasting caps and certainly not "an explosion" of any substance. There was no obvious flash or any visible smoke immediately after the detonations.
Of course, a successful render-safe is not unlikely to sound like a tiny amount of explosives regardless of the actual size of the main charge.

Mining town with internatonal and mob connections. If I remember some one try-ed to blow up the police station a few years back.

my72jeep said:
Mining town with internatonal and mob connections. If I remember some one try-ed to blow up the police station a few years back.

Yup, he was a regular back then at my jail and a part-time WWE wrestler..........

Ah....the stupidity of youth.....way back when, as a young and dumb sprout, I worked in a copper mine, blasting hangups in raises and stoppes.............this led to a casual familiarity with bellite 85% and Amex Pellets, and of course those little thingies that make it all go bang.

Long story short....having brought some of those goodies back with me, we got liquored up and decided to blow up a railway bridge is a local suburban community. We had this little hotty hanging with us, but we were all too dumb to make the right moves, or she was too dumb to pick up on our leering. We convinced her, in our somewhat erratic drive to the bridge, that it was not safe to have blasting caps nestled in with the dynamite sticks. The safest place was a nice warm cushion or for want of a better place, inside her bra.

Of course we couldn't have blasting caps banging against each other, so we had to carefully and strategically place them within said bra so they wouldn't be jarred......

Ahem, the blasting caps made it, we didn't get anything other than a safe trip, and the bridge didn't get blown up, cause we were so drunk we couldn't climb the steep bank, so we just blew up a culvert...........

Sometimes, I wonder how I made it this far..... ::)

Old Sweat said:
What about the hotty?

Where are the pictures?

Back then you had to stay still for a couple of minutes, to get a good picture, and the camera equipment would take up most of the space in a good sized wagon.  ;)

Back