• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM Chretein did all right by us

[side story]

In the Lawrence Martin ghosted autobiograpghy of Jean Chretien, there's a story that perfectly encapsualtes the man.  In high school he hadn't studied for a test, and so faked a stomach ache to get out of the test.  He was convincing - they decided he must have appendicitis, and so prepared to operate.

Rather than admit to a lie, he went through with the surgery.

A man who lies then risks physical harm to prevent exposure of the lie is not a role model, to me at least...

[/side story]

Anyone remember how mush he stole from our pension fund to get them welfare out of debt?

He was an appeaser:

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

Winston Churchill

>The world would have been a different place if Donald Rumsfeld had not been a micromanaging kingdom builder.

The guy you should blame for mismanagement of the occupation is Paul Bremer, and secondarily the people who supported the decision to put him there.

Hmn.  How many lives has he risked by cancelling the EH-101?

Crantor said:

AS I recall soon after canceling the EH101, we lose a crew in a crash in Northern NB.  I would like to see how many died in old helicopters and a poorly run UN mission in FRY.  I wonder who killed more Canadian troops, the Taliban or Liberal decisions?  It would be a close run thing!

cypres78 said:
Chretien was the worst thing to ever happen to the military. Anyone else here remember screaming budget cut budget cut to simulate bullets on exercise?  :facepalm:

We screamed "Bang!" or "Militia round!".

Crantor said:
I can think of a Labrador crew that perished on a SAR misson, in an aircraft that would have already been replaced by the Merlin at the time of the rescue.  How's that.  I personally feel he has their blood on his hands as a result of his decision.  :rage:

fraserdw said:
AS I recall soon after canceling the EH101, we lose a crew in a crash in Northern NB.  I would like to see how many died in old helicopters and a poorly run UN mission in FRY.  I wonder who killed more Canadian troops, the Taliban or Liberal decisions?  It would be a close run thing!

You're really getting out there. Let's not start extraploting to extremes please.

The subject has gone enough off the track, let's not run it right into the ditch.

RangerRay said:
We screamed "Bang!" or "Militia round!".

I've had to do that at various times since the '60s, including in the Regs. You can't hang that one on a specific government.

recceguy said:
I've had to do that at various times since the '60s, including in the Regs. You can't hang that one on a specific government.

Wasn't that spec in the original requirements for the F35?  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Wasn't that spec in the original requirements for the F35?  ;D

Yeah. Like Rae demanding Harper step down over the F35 fiasco that was birthed and weened by the liberals  ::)

As long as Rae doesn't go: "I will take my pen and write zero F-35".

Where have I heard that one before ???

Oldgateboatdriver said:
...Where have I heard that one before ???

Right after "I'll get rid of da GST, and da free trade..."

;)

Remember the Yanks weren't asking us to provide much in the way of troops or support. If my memory serves me right all the wanted from Canada was a JTF-2 detachment, a couple squadrons of Coyote recce vehicles, a couple of Hercs and may be a warship or two. Not much considering what we later deployed to Afghanistan.

Retired AF Guy said:
Remember the Yanks weren't asking us to provide much in the way of troops or support. If my memory serves me right all the wanted from Canada was a JTF-2 detachment, a couple squadrons of Coyote recce vehicles, a couple of Hercs and may be a warship or two. Not much considering what we later deployed to Afghanistan.

Actually, by my reading, the Americans didn't care about us (or e.g. the Australians) and were indifferent to any contribution. They would have liked and been grateful for some moral support but that was the very last thing PM Chrétien was inclined to offer. By 2003 anti-Americanism was nearly rabid in Canada and Chrétien was inclined to fan the flames and exploit it for his own, partisan political purposes.

E.R. Campbell said:
Actually, by my reading, the Americans didn't care about us (or e.g. the Australians) and were indifferent to any contribution. They would have liked and been grateful for some moral support but that was the very last thing PM Chrétien was inclined to offer. By 2003 anti-Americanism was nearly rabid in Canada and Chrétien was inclined to fan the flames and exploit it for his own, partisan political purposes.

Quite correct, the Liberals made a habit of snapping at the ankles of our friends, Anti-Americanism, Anti-royalty, anti-free speech, anti private property.  Once Creeptan came to power I truly understood how Trudeau could fly his FLQ buddies off on a Cuban vacation for their murders, Liberals have nothing but Canadian blood on their hands.

Fraser,

Trudeau had many faults, but being a friend to the FLQ was not one of them.

fraserdw said:
Once Creeptan came to power I truly understood how Trudeau could fly his FLQ buddies off on a Cuban vacation for their murders, Liberals have nothing but Canadian blood on their hands.

SeaKingTacco said:
Fraser,

Trudeau had many faults, but being a friend to the FLQ was not one of them.

Apparently they stopped teaching about the October Crisis and Trudeau's invocation of the War Measures Act in schools since I was a kid. :facepalm:

It's definitely a Liberal cover-up at the highest levels. :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I'm still giggling over the fact that Chretien's name is spelled wrong in the thread title.  ;D

Back