• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Play video games for the US Army

garb811

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
A bit of a dated article but I saw something on U.S Army W.T.F! moments that made me go looking. Not being a hockey player, this is the type of "scholarship" that I would have gone for in my younger years... All is not lost for the fitness folks though, they are also putting together a CrossFit team.

Uncle Sam wants you — to play video games for the US Army
The Army is putting together a team of video gamers from within its ranks to try to reach young Americans in the digital worlds where they spend much of their time.

More than 15 years after launching “America’s Army,” a first-person shooter game aimed at enlisting real world soldiers, the Army is calling for active duty troops and reservists to compete in video gaming tournaments, or esports, in one of its latest recruiting efforts.

The move follows the Army’s failure this year, for the first time in more than a decade, to meet the fiscal year target for bringing in new soldiers as it seeks to expand its ranks to more than 500,000 in the next four years.

The Army is also creating a “functional fitness” team to compete in CrossFit athletic events and is reportedly looking to spruce up recruiting efforts with more bonuses, more recruiters, better furniture and a new slogan to replace “Army Strong.”

More at link.

Back