• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Plastic Bullets

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favourite weapon. Guaranteed to make grown men cry … even the Irish

Police defend right to use 'less-lethal' weapons

Canadian forces are increasingly using a variety of controversial weapons, including an anti-riot gun once used in Northern Ireland

Rick Anthony remembers a time in policing when there weren't many options available to officers faced with a life or death situation.

"Your gun was your distance weapon and your baton was your close-up weapon," said Mr. Anthony, a detective with the Victoria police. "Your mouth was both."

But now, many forces across the country use a variety of "less-lethal" weapons - that is, a weapon less lethal than a gun but still able to inflict fatal damage - in their arsenal.

One of those weapons, the taser, has generated controversy in high-profile instances such as the death of Robert Dziekanski, who died last fall after being tasered by RCMP at Vancouver International Airport. But another weapon, which has been in some police arsenals for more than a decade, has also had its fair share of publicity. And police have recently said that it is more reliable than the taser and can be used at a much greater distance.

Developed originally as a way for police to control crowds during unrest in Northern Ireland, the ARWEN, the acronym for Anti-riot Weapon ENfield, fires plastic bullets and is used by law enforcements agencies across the country, said Brian Kirkey, president of Police Ordnance, the company based in Markham, Ont., that manufactures and distributes the gun worldwide.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080816.wxweapon16/BNStory/National/home

They should give police Simunition. For those that don't know, its a bullet shaped paintball, within a regular bullet casing. But you have to buy a conversion kit for your weapon. The 5.56mm non-lethals are accurate to 100ft too.

http://www.simunition.com/index_en.php

adaminc said:
They should give police Simunition. For those that don't know, its a bullet shaped paintball, within a regular bullet casing. But you have to buy a conversion kit for your weapon. The 5.56mm non-lethals are accurate to 100ft too.

By the look of your profile, I'm guessing you've never been on the receiving end of a few rounds of simunition. Sure, it hurts like hell - but unless you take one to the head, neck or groin, it won't be too long before you're back on your feet. The system was developed as a training tool, not as a riot-control measure.

adaminc said:

No they shouldn't. It's not meant for any purpose other then training. It's not a less lethal tool in the sense that an ARWIN is. We know what Simunition is. We use it.

A plastic bullet vs. simmunition is like a wrecking ball vs. a bee sting.

Now, that doesn't mean you couldn't use simmunition to 'paint' an evil doer for future arrest... might work?

daftandbarmy said:
Now, that doesn't mean you couldn't use simmunition to 'paint' an evil doer for future arrest... might work?

Would that work? At least with the current simunition rounds in use, the paint splatter is about the size of a quarter - and is supposed to be washable.

daftandbarmy said:
A plastic bullet vs. simmunition is like a wrecking ball vs. a bee sting.

Naw, not unless the cartridge is filled with the same type of dye as used in the Dyewitness spray http://www.karajan.com/relax/index.html. I've seen this in action and it does NOT come off.

"So what does the suspect look like?"

"Well... they look GREEN"

;D

Could simunition then be used to disperse a crowd? I mean, if they hurt as much as say a frozen paintball, I bet people would start moving in the opposite direction. Load up a C6 and let'er rip.

Nope, simunition is a great training tool. Nothing more. I've been hit with simunition on more than one occasion, I wouldn't even compare it to a bee sting. Both sim guns I've fired (converted Sig and a converted C8) jammed way too much for my liking. I have fired an Arwen...lets just say I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end. Awesome effect.

The title and the story only talk about police forces use of less-than-lethal weapons. I am confused as to why the sub title is "Canadian forces are increasingly using a variety of controversial weapons, including an anti-riot gun once used in Northern Ireland". Does the CF actually use the ARWEN? Where? What other less-than-lethal weapon systems are being employed and in what capacity?

Last I checked we only had the single shot 38mm gas guns with a variety of ammunition, but no baton (rubber bullets) rounds. There are some other less-than-lethal types of ammunition (12 ga. and 40mm) that have been procured recently, but these are not authorized for use for other than training.

Just curious, where and who in the CF is using less-than-lethal weapons?

Back