• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PLAR & Advanced Degrees

brewski5000

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a DEO Pilot applicant who is about to undergo the interview and medical, with what I am told is an extremely competitive CFAT score. I have some questions about the Prior Learning Assessment Recognitions (PLAR) that are completed on some applicants. I have already searched through the fora for information that might pertain to my questions.

I hold an AA, BA (Hons.), MA, and all-but-dissertation status for a PhD, all in international relations.

1. Do Officer applicants with educations higher than the Bachelor level sometimes start at Lt. instead of 2Lt.?

2. I have heard a rumour elsewhere online that having a Master's degree can trigger a PLAR, and then enrolment at a pay increment higher than the basic level. Is this true / possible?

3. Would my file be likely to undergo a PLAR as a result of my qualifications? My education obviously doesn't apply to courses like PFT, but I've learned through searching here that some credentials can count towards courses at the CFC.

4. I've read on some other threads here that a PLAR can sometimes result in 'credit towards career progression'. What's meant by that? Does it refer to credit towards future potential promotions?

Thanks in advance your time and any information you can provide. I'm excited about potentially joining the CAF regardless of these questions.

A PLAR is normally only initiated, if you present academic or professional qualifications/experience "directly" associated with your chosen occupation.  So your Recruiting Detachment will review the documents you submit and determine whether or not a PLAR is required.

We cannot provide answers on the remainder of your questions beyond the recruiting process, as they fall well beyond the scope of this forum, so you would be better off asking them elsewhere.

This is not exactly within my realm of experience and expertise, but:

Any education beyond that required to meet the enrollment standard is unlikely to have any effect on anything for some time to come, if ever. That includes rank, as you would not be occupationally qualified.

"I have heard a rumour elsewhere online that having a Master's degree can trigger a PLAR, and then enrolment at a pay increment higher than the basic level. Is this true / possible"

As I used to work in the Offers Cell, I have the knowledge to reply to this part of your question.  I am answering purely based on my Experience/Knowledge from when I was the Offers Sergeant.

There is a document used by the staff that work in the Offers Cell to determine if your Pay Increment can be higher than Basic, depending on your education level - this is for Direct Officer Entry Plans.
They determine this based on the information entered in the Recruiting System by the staff at your CFRC, no PLAR is required for that part of the process.

The document that determines Pay Incentives upon Enrolment is reviewed and updated at least once a year, these particular changes came into effect 3 March 2015 (i.e. anyone enrolled prior to that date doesn't qualify for those Pay Incentives) and may change again in the 2016 document.

Back