• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipelines

I'm freaking glad I loaded up on O&G investments when the market tanked and everyone was jumping on the "oil is dead" bandwagon.

Demand is going to continue to climb and with little to no investment in infrastructure or exploration, the value of the existing assets is going up.

Couple this with energy companies transitioning from a "growth" model like they had in the 2000s to a "value for shareholders" model and I'm going to enjoy seeing the printer go brrrrrggghhh!

Music Video Money GIF

O&G, and all the other existing energy companies, are going to want to continue being energy companies. Investing in energy is approximately like investing in telecom at this point in human history. People do not want less of either.

O&G, and all the other existing energy companies, are going to want to continue being energy companies. Investing in energy is approximately like investing in telecom at this point in human history. People do not want less of either.
At the end of the day, they provide a service people want and also need. Government intervention and interference will just cause the the Energy Companies themselves to download costs to the customer.

People have shown time and again that they will continue to pay. As long as the demand is there, Energy Companies will continue to provide the product.

The thing that people don't understand about Energy Companies is they make money on every aspect of the process of bringing product to the market, especially those companies that are vertically integrated.

OPEC+ is going to milk this oil boom for a while to make up for the losses of the past year and a half. It is not in their strategic interest to see prices decline, eapecially when Saudi and others are making money @$10 a barrel of Brent.

As for Canadian Companies like Suncor, CNR,, they have enough existing capacity to last for the next 25 years on existing Reserves with no new exploration or development. Now is the time to reap the rewards of the hardwork of the previous development cycle.

At the end of the day, they provide a service people want and also need. Government intervention and interference will just cause the the Energy Companies themselves to download costs to the customer.

And they're the safest way to shift carbon products around:

Oil and Natural Gas Pipelines​

Pipelines are a critical part of Canada’s oil and natural gas infrastructure. Pipelines are the safest and most efficient way to move large volumes of oil and natural gas from development areas to refineries, petrochemical plants and even to our homes and businesses for use.
There are more than 840,000 kilometres (km) of pipelines cross Canada, and they are all regulated (source: Natural Resources Canada). The federal government regulates about 10% of Canada’s pipelines, or more than 73,000 km, which are primarily large transmission pipelines. The remaining pipelines are regulated provincially.

Pipelines are a critical part of Canada’s oil and natural gas infrastructure. Pipelines are the safest and most efficient way to move large volumes of oil and natural gas from development areas to refineries, petrochemical plants and even to our homes and businesses for use.
There are more than 840,000 kilometres (km) of pipelines cross Canada, and they are all regulated (source: Natural Resources Canada). The federal government regulates about 10% of Canada’s pipelines, or more than 73,000 km, which are primarily large transmission pipelines. The remaining pipelines are regulated provincially.

You would think that with exploding trains that people would have gotten the hint that pipelines are safer but I guess not. My guess is that it has less to do with safety and more to do with any oil and gas extraction.

You would think that with exploding trains that people would have gotten the hint that pipelines are safer but I guess not. My guess is that it has less to do with safety and more to do with any oil and gas extraction.
Unless they actually live in an area where there is gas extraction I doubt if they even think about where it comes from but they do listen to the news and spend hours on google. Pipelines are bad, the internet says so. Trains are Canadian and they are already there and visible. Nobody thinks about them except when they go off the rails and that is always due to Human error: nobody thinks about the pipelines being inherently safer it was just a mistake that the brakes didn't hold in Lac-Mégantic.

The problem is too many noisy voices want that infrastructure to end - now. I think is it fairly clear that its heyday as the default transportation fuel, particularly for light personal transportation, is passing. How fast ? Who knows. I may not own an EV but I am sure my kid will. As well, possibly as a grid power source. But anyone who thinks petroleum will end completely has not explored the vast array of products and systems that depend on it. Nor have they considered the social disruption. Without some significant scientific breakthroughs (I know, the next 'great battery breakthrough' is just around the corner), anyone who thinks we can continue anywhere close to our current economy without it is, in my opinion, delusional. We will all be living closer to the early 1800s.

anyone who thinks we can continue anywhere close to our current economy without it is, in my opinion, delusional. We will all be living closer to the early 1800s.
Except you will need a permit to cut down a tree to provide fuel for your fireplace that you will need because the electric heaters only work when the windmills are spinning. The Brits and the Germans have discovered that in the last few months. But it will take care of the population growth. I think that 45 was an old age back then.

Be a while before there is surplus power and stable grids capable of powering warfighting equipment.

There are proven designs available for the navy already. HMS Victory, Old Ironsides for two.

This is a gas pipeline crossing I reviewed and worked on. The original crossing had been buried, but a very strong freshet wiped out all the bank armouring the proponent had done the season before and exposed the gas pipeline and the two oil pipelines (one which had previously broke about 6 years previous a ways upstream) As the regulator I told them "Start fixing it now and we get the paperwork started" Luckily I was working with a proponent rep who I had a lot of trust in to do the right thing. The Gas pipeline was to big to do a HDD for, so they built this 400m pipeline bridge and the oil lines were done with HDD, for about 800m as I recall to avoid further exposure. HDD has come a very long way, to the point where almost every larger crossing is done that way as opposed to the two stage cofferdam method. Generally most pipeline failures happen at waterway crossings on the older pipes, due to bends, and bed movement/exposure. Ironically, opposing new pipelines means the old ones with higher risks stay in service. The goal should be to replace all of the major pipelines laid before the 1980's with new pipe, built and laid to modern standards.

a-natural-gas-and-an-oil-pipeline-owned-by-pembina-pipeline-inc-cross-the-pine-river.jpg

I don't see Line 5 being shut down. It is the line that brings propane to Michigan. Michigan is the #1 user state of propane. More homes are heated with it than anywhere else. There are also a number of court challenges surrounding the issue. After the last election the democrats are on extremely thin ice.
As well, not that it matters to most Americans, Line 5 supplies Chemical Valley in Sarnia. The majority of aviation fuel in Ontario is produced there from oil running in L5. L5 runs under the river bed between Michigan and Sarnia. L5 supplies about 4,700 miles of pipelines and around 60 pumping stations supplying refineries around the Great Lakes, the Midwest and Ontario. It is the main line supplying these areas.
L5 originates in Wisconsin and also carries crude from North Dakota.
Enbridge reversed L9 (now 9B) that used to flow from Montreal to Sarnia. It now carries crude east from Sarnia to Montreal to supply refineries there.

Line 5 carries approximately 540,000 barrels, or 22.7 million gallons, of oil and natural gas liquids per day. That's a lot of trucks.

All that to say that L5 is more important in jobs, businesses and votes than Whitmer's green dream of sticking it to the petroleum industry. She's messing with the strategic oil distribution.

Can you launch a missile from a wooden deck?
At least once!

The exhaust does a U and goes up, but probably bad for sails. Maybe do it like Master and Commander, where they had that tow behind decoy and use something like that as a launching platform? Huzzah!

Reminds me a bit like the Orc warships in Warcraft, where they run on faith and a few hamsters, with geometry that makes no sense (but looks cool). Our ships are also running on faith, but missing the cool paint jobs, occasional decorative spikes and garish paintjobs.

At least once!

The exhaust does a U and goes up, but probably bad for sails. Maybe do it like Master and Commander, where they had that tow behind decoy and use something like that as a launching platform? Huzzah!

Reminds me a bit like the Orc warships in Warcraft, where they run on faith and a few hamsters, with geometry that makes no sense (but looks cool). Our ships are also running on faith, but missing the cool paint jobs, occasional decorative spikes and garish paintjobs.

Don't we have a couple in Dazzle paintjobs?

I think that John Oliver is a bit of a twat but he did have a good bit on the need for electrical infrastructure.

The Power Grid: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)​

The biggest issue is that the green energy is best produced in areas where not many people are but needs to be transported to where the people are. I have a better idea, instead of putting massive solar and wind farms on top of productive farmland why don't we cover the dead zone suburbs with solar panels? They are eyesores anyway and we wouldn't have the massive power loss during the transportation phase.
Win win!!!

I think that John Oliver is a bit of a twat but he did have a good bit on the need for electrical infrastructure.

The Power Grid: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)​

The biggest issue is that the green energy is best produced in areas where not many people are but needs to be transported to where the people are. I have a better idea, instead of putting massive solar and wind farms on top of productive farmland why don't we cover the dead zone suburbs with solar panels? They are eyesores anyway and we wouldn't have the massive power loss during the transportation phase.
Win win!!!

Not a big alternate energy fan but this strikes me as doable

If nothing else it will keep the rain off.

Back