• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pilot vacation time and OJT

benny88 said:
  I said in my post I knew the letter of the law and why leave passes are used. I also said that not everything happens exactly by the book like I've been taught, and I was unsure if this was one of those things. I had/have reason to believe it's not, because, right or wrong, my ULO tells me I can travel outside of 50 km without one. So this spiel isn't really helpful or informative.
    If every single time you go outside of 50km you take a leave pass, fine. Like I said, I'm not looking to cut corners. But it's not a stupid question to ask when I have precedent to show that some ORs operate like that. Now here's the part where some of you will give me crap because "ROTP is not reflective of how things operate in the real CF" blah blah. And to that I say: Exactly. Which is why I'm asking the question in the first place. If my ULO is right out of it, I just want to know so I can adjust to the way things will be after I graduate. No need to throw the book at me.

You know if you only RTFP you would have seen the last line:

If you want the answers to your "Conditional" questions, it is best to visit your OR and find out what the current Unit policy is.

George Wallace said:
You know if you only RTFP you would have seen the last line:

If you want the answers to your "Conditional" questions, it is best to visit your OR and find out what the current Unit policy is.

The reason that's not applicable right now for me is because I haven't been posted yet, I should have said as much. I understand that the example MJP gave is not an overarching policy, I was just looking for some examples of what to expect. I have some now, so you can put away your big font.

The big font was just for you.

Leave Passes serve a purpose.  Unit Policies regarding their use will change from time to time and Unit to Unit. 

For instance: some Units have their members fill out a CF 100, leaving the Address and dates blank, and keep them on file to cover these short weekend sorties, and then keep them on file to safeguard their members.

However, should you be in an accident or such, outside your Unit Area, then some "Bean Counter" may stick by the Rules, Black and White/NO shades of Gray, and tell you that you ARE NOT entitled to any form of compensation or benefits.  That is why you are encouraged to have one.

That is why there is large font for you.  Other than saying that this does happen, we can not give you a conditional answer to your questions; only your supporting Unit can. 

We're going in circles. All I wanted to know is whether it EVER happens the way that MJP and now you have described, where the red tape is circumvented for things like local, weekend trips, not how it always happens. I understand and have never implied otherwise that it could and will be different from unit to unit, so we can stop rehashing that. And I don't need the purposes of a CF 100 explained to me, I understand its use and purpose, but I know enough to know that the way it's written is not always the way it's done, hence my original question.

I think we're on the same page now, thanks for the information. Understand that I'm floating in a limbo in my career because I know (or at least know how to find) much of the relevant information, but lack the experience to put it in context, which I think you're taking for granted.

Cheers

It depends on the Unit, as it has been said already.  From Cold Lake, we don't need week end leave passes to go to Edmonton (300+ km).

To echo previous posts, my last unit considered a pre-signed, blank address and date Leave Pass 'illegal', however at my current one I had to supply one of them to my CoC.  Now, instead of putting in a leave pass to go to NB, PEI, etc for a weekend, I just send my CoC an email letting them know where I will be and the phone number.

Also, in terms of 'being covered' by a Wknd Lve Pass, just last winter I was in NB (reside/posted to NS) and my starter went on me Sunday night when I went to drive back.  When I called my CoC to let them know, I sure was glad I had a leave pass authoring me to be out of province.  A copy of the repair bill from the VW dealer with the date/time stamp on it was all that was required to negate an AWOL charge.

Before you skim over and see OJT and scoff, please note this isn't another "Where should I go for OJT" post. I know where I'd like to go, just need some advice please!

My situation: Due to the flight training portion of my ROTP program, I am required to stay in London after the academic year is finished to finish off my PPL. This prevented me from doing the SLT I was slated for. Unfortunately, I cannot get a firm date of when I will be done due to weather, and shifting availability of aircraft and instructors. The best estimate I have gotten is late May- early June.

Originally I was told by my CoC that when I was nearing completion to inform them, and they would find me a trade related OJT. Now, however, I'm being told that it's my responsibility to set-up my own. I have a standing offer to return to the CFRC where I worked for a few weeks last summer, so I'll keep that in my back pocket, but I would like to do something more related to my trade. (I know I will be a coffee boy anywhere, but I'd rather do it around aircraft)

My question(s) is(are):

1) Is it even worth it to start trying to make calls about an OJT posting when I can't give a firm date on which I can start?

2) It was implied to me that because my OJT would be relatively short (from the estimated early June date until block leave starts on 10 Aug) it would be unlikely that a unit would bother to move me there for that short of a time. Can anyone comment on that?

3) And finally, who should I be attempting to contact? My ULO is new and appears to be swamped and unable to offer much assistance with this. I'm not looking for specific contacts, but rather general advice. I have almost no knowledge of the setup of a squadron or wing. I've found lots of phone numbers, but none that stand out as being the obvious choice to call. Who should I be asking for? If anyone WOULD like to offer specific contacts, please PM me. I'm most interested in Borden or Trenton.

I know none of you can give me all the answers, but some educated guesses are better than what I have now: bupkiss.

Thanks

benny88 said:
  1) Is it even worth it to start trying to make calls about an OJT posting when I can't give a firm date on which I can start?

IMHO only, its not worth it. You are just going to burden an operational unit that has (most likely) enough SLJOs kicking around to begin with. Adding another one with an uncertain arrival date is just a pain in the rear. But thats just in my experience. A better time would be when you have something more firm as far as dates.

it would be unlikely that a unit would bother to move me there for that short of a time. Can anyone comment on that?

No unit i have been around will pay to have a body moved over that is not operationaly employable. Again, thats just based on what i have seen over the years.

I'm most interested in Borden or Trenton.

Try contacting the Operations officer at the Sqn you are interested in.

Thanks for the post CDN Aviator, helpful.

CDN Aviator said:
No unit i have been around will pay to have a body moved over that is not operationaly employable. Again, thats just based on what i have seen over the years.

I didn't mean that they would pay for my move, sorry I was unclear about that. I'm living in Kitchener/London and wouldn't need anything I couldn't fit in my car, especially if remaining in Ontario and for this short length of time. Rather I meant would they make room for me in the BOQ or wherever.

Back