• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Timeline

AirCanuck

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a student in 4th Year Commercial Aviation Management in the University of Western Ontario, ROTP (completed BOTP).  As graduation approaches and I get ready to enter the 'real world' of the Air Force, I was wondering if anyone could let me know what to expect over the coming years in terms of time.  Specifically, I get 2Lt upon graduation but I am looking for how long (all generally, of course) it takes to get Lt, Capt.; how long of a waiting time until BFT after graduation (I skip PFT because I fly at school and graduate commercial multi-ifr) How long generally until I get on the next course after (ie on the Bell, hawk, or king air) and after that to actually gain my wings?  Basically I'm wondering how long in general I can expect to wait before I have my wings after graduation, and what the general timeline is for promotions (I understand that you can only provide very general answers as some people move through more quickly than others).

Future's coming up quick, and I'd like to have some idea of what it holds... and so would certain others around me.  I'm hoping for Griffons at this point, but it's still up in the air (no puns intended).

Thank you for your time!
cheers
AirCanuck

You get your wings when you graduate Phase 3.

As for timing - only your POC in Winnipeg will have those details.  You can probably expect up to 18 months wait for BFT followed by 3-9 months wait for AFT-ME/RW.

Promotion to Lt/Capt is based upon your commissioning date - when you should have been promoted if all training had been experienced without any CF induced delays.  You may very well never see the Lieutenant rank.

Expect to be on Wing's grad parade about three years after graduating University.  Any earlier is a bonus.

that was helpful, but I'd like a few clarifications;

I was looking more for estimations on HOW LONG as opposed to after what courses - I know wings come after phase 3, etc.  As for rank being based on time of commission, based how specifically?  ie How long?  I am getting my commission in April or May.  the 3 year mark is a useful one though.

AirCanuck said:
As for rank being based on time of commission, based how specifically?  ie How long?  I am getting my commission in April or May.  the 3 year mark is a useful one though.

You get your Capt rank 3 years after your commissioning date.  If you get your wings after that time, you bypass the rank of Lt and go straight to Capt.

There are changes coming to the pilot training, check this article:

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2008/06/13/air-force-short-250-pilots-but-getting-a-handle-on-retention.aspx

You can also check the Fall issue of Air Force CrewBrief for additional info on the various initiatives that are being taken. How this will translate into timeline changes for training? I guess only time will tell.

Zoomie said:
You get your wings when you graduate Phase 3.

As for timing - only your POC in Winnipeg will have those details.  You can probably expect up to 18 months wait for BFT followed by 3-9 months wait for AFT-ME/RW.

Promotion to Lt/Capt is based upon your commissioning date - when you should have been promoted if all training had been experienced without any CF induced delays.  You may very well never see the Lieutenant rank.

Expect to be on Wing's grad parade about three years after graduating University.  Any earlier is a bonus.

Thanks for this informative post Zoomie.  Could you clarify the timeline for me?
Im a army reserve-CFR heading to BOTP in march(2 months). I assume that after I will do 7 months of SLT and 1 year of OJT.  After that time I'm to head to PFT (timeline: 21-ish months).  After PFT there is an 18 month wait?  does a candidate return to their OJT at this point?

Thank you very much for your time.

FiorGoBasPLT said:
does a candidate return to their OJT at this point?

Yes.

PFT is a TD attach/posting. The course isn't very long and guys will go back to the unit they came from after the course.

FiorGoBasPLT said:
Thanks for this informative post Zoomie.  Could you clarify the timeline for me?
Im a army reserve-CFR heading to BOTP in march(2 months). I assume that after I will do 7 months of SLT and 1 year of OJT.  After that time I'm to head to PFT (timeline: 21-ish months).  After PFT there is an 18 month wait?  does a candidate return to their OJT at this point?

Thank you very much for your time.

Here's what it was for me (minus PFT, since I did it between 2 years at RMC)

Grad from RMC - May 06
OJT - May 06-Apr 07
Phase IIA - Apr 07-Oct 07
Phase IIB - Nov 07-Feb 08
Phase III - Feb 08-Jul 08 (Wings)
OJT - Aug 08-Sep 08
Phase IV - Sep 08-Now

I think the wait for Phase IIA is much longer that it used to be and is only going to be longer with the aircraft situation in Moose Jaw right now.  Plus, the course is longer for the same reason (a friend of mine started in May 08 and is now about 1/2 way through)

SupersonicMax said:
Here's what it was for me (minus PFT, since I did it between 2 years at RMC)

Grad from RMC - May 06
OJT - May 06-Apr 07
Phase IIA - Apr 07-Oct 07
Phase IIB - Nov 07-Feb 08
Phase III - Feb 08-Jul 08 (Wings)
OJT - Aug 08-Sep 08
Phase IV - Sep 08-Now

I think the wait for Phase IIA is much longer that it used to be and is only going to be longer with the aircraft situation in Moose Jaw right now.  Plus, the course is longer for the same reason (a friend of mine started in May 08 and is now about 1/2 way through)
What is the "aircraft situation in MJ right now"?

Maintenance issues on the Harvard II.  Very little aircraft available for training, compared to the normal serviceability rates.  They are way way way behind and are zero-loading courses (or has been anyways)

Interesting. Do you know if they were still loading larger courses, and could it be associated with that? Or is it just a case of bad timing?

We were pretty much the last course to be small (we were initially 7 on our course).  After that, all courses were 12-20 SPs.  I think the fact that they are behind is a combination of things, like bad weather, aircraft serviceability issues, course loading, etc.  Lots of effort has been done since Fall 2007 to increase the production, however, lots of bones have been thrown into the plans to do so, like it has been for years I imagine...  I have yet to see a whole BFT course graduate on time!!

SupersonicMax said:
I have yet to see a whole BFT course graduate on time!!

Thats not limited to BFT unfortunately. CFANS is the same as well as most OTUs.

As far as I can tell, they're putting in a fair effort to try to pump people through now, which is good, it's too bad they're running into so much trouble with it.  Hopefully they'll get everything running somewhat smoothly soon. 

SupersonicMax said:
Maintenance issues on the Harvard II.  Very little aircraft available for training, compared to the normal serviceability rates.  They are way way way behind and are zero-loading courses (or has been anyways)

I don't think they've been zero loading, 0901 02 03 are all going on time. They will be doing the entire ground school non stop and then just wait for their turn with the planes. The word is they are going to send all the way up to 05 and then possibly start zero loading, but that's just the rumour mill. Apparently one of the 08 courses has been on the flight line for 5 months without getting any flying in.

CDN Aviator said:
Thats not limited to BFT unfortunately. CFANS is the same as well as most OTUs.

CFANS is definitely suffering from weather and a/c issues.  What is supposed to be a 10-month course (BANC) is at a minimum 13 months since at least '07, with some serials going well into the 16-month period and double (even triple) grads not uncommon.

Weather's shyte this year, plain and simple.  I fly in the snow-belt in south-western ontario, I have 3 bookings a week (now 4, to catch up) and I didn't fly for all of November or December.  I tallied it up yesterday to get my medical renewed, and while in the last year I flew something like 78 hours, I have flown 3.4 in the last 3 months.

Sounds like the house of cards has finally begun to tumble, BFT 0903 is zero loaded. Can't wait to see what the extra wait time will turn out to be.

Back