• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Timeline

maniac779 said:
Yes.

PFT is a TD attach/posting. The course isn't very long and guys will go back to the unit they came from after the course.

With PFT as a TD posting away from your home unit, is BFT an actual posting, to include a full move at public expense? (IRP, etc.)

infamous_p said:
With PFT as a TD posting away from your home unit, is BFT an actual posting, to include a full move at public expense? (IRP, etc.)

Yes. I know all sorts of guys who have gotten full moves, HHT's, the works, for their posting out to BFT. I'd like to hear about how that PFT extended course is going too, although I can't fathom why anyone would pass up the Havard II or the "Officer Development" at MJ.

Phase 2 (Grob) has ramped up to full strength and is graduating students directly on to Phase 3 Helo or Multi.  On average these students wait the weekend for their next course - vice up to 9 months for those coming out of Moose Jaw.

It is still undergoing substantial growing pains - as is CWATC in its airspace management.  Overtime this program should prove to be an excellent flight training facility that is even today rivaling the sortie rate seen at Moose Jaw.

I’ve been trying to figure out the initial progression through the pilot occupation; at least until the end of Phase 3 where things start to diverge.  I’ve pulled bits and pieces together from the recruiters and forums but in some cases information was quite old or conflicting.  What I’ve tried to put together below, is a basic outline of rank/pay/promotion criteria.  Be forewarned I haven’t been commissioned yet so confirm any information that is really important to you and if the people who know better spot any errors please let me know:

Rank 1: During BMOQ , paid at rank of 2 Lt. with deduction of $566/$681 for rations (married/single).  Have to pay for your own towels ::)  $3,839/mo. for first year, $4,163/mo. for second year, $4,489 in third year and so on.  OJT #1, Phase 1 (PFT) as TD, OJT #2 then Phase 2 (BFT) and Phase III postings.  OJT periods may be occupied with other courses and details vary based on backlog.  PFT as TD (temporary duty) means accommodations and meals are taken care of.  Relocation of household expected for Phases 2 and 3 as they exceed 6 months.

Rank 2: Promotion to Lt. upon graduation from Phase 3 (i.e. get your wings).  Now paid $4,220/mo. for first year, $4,553/mo. for second year and so on.

Rank 3: Promotion to Captain on 4th anniversary of commissioning, i.e. 3 years of service, if you have your wings.  If you have not been winged by your third year, due to delays in the training system, once you receive wings you will automatically be promoted to Captain and paid retroactively.
A caveat, your pay cannot decrease with promotion so if you’re in the third increment of 2 Lt. you would start in the second increment of Lt. upon promotion. 

Cost of living adjustment will see pay rates increase by 2% in July 2014.
Hopefully this helps others, did I miss anything?

jdl902 said:
Rank 2: Promotion to 2 Lt. upon BMOQ graduation.  Paid $3,839/mo. for first year, $4,163/mo. for second year and $4,489 in third year and so on.  OJT #1, Phase 1 (PFT) as TD, OJT #2 then Phase 2 (BFT) and Phase III postings.  OJT periods may be occupied with other courses and details vary based on backlog.  PFT as TD (temporary duty) means accommodations and meals are taken care of.  Relocation of household expected for Phases 2 and 3 as they exceed 6 months.

It all depends on your entry plan. CEOTP does their own thing, but for everyone else OJT is usually a posting. Phase 1 is TD from OJT (and you return to OJT after course), Phase 2 and Phase 3 jet is a posting, Phase 3 multi and helo is TD.

Also of note, 2Lts are only entitled to two pay increases while on the BTL. If you end up taking 5+ years to be trained (like I did), your pay will not be increased beyond that.

jdl902 said:
Rank 3: Promotion to Lt. upon graduation from Phase 3 (i.e. get your wings).  Now paid $4,220/mo. for first year, $4,553/mo. for second year and so on.

Rank 4: Promotion to Captain on 4th anniversary of commissioning, i.e. 3 years of service, if you have your wings.  If you have not been winged by your third year, due to delays in the training system, once you receive wings you will automatically be promoted to Captain and paid retroactively.
A caveat, your pay cannot decrease with promotion so if you’re in the third increment of 2 Lt. you would start in the second increment of Lt. upon promotion. 

Latest I've heard is promotion to Lt will start happening after phase 2. I don't believe they've started doing it yet though.

Captain backpay no longer exists, you only get Lt backpay now which is much less. This only affects people who waited a long time for training, which is less of an issue these days.

Back