• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Timeline

AirCanuck said:
forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is zero loaded

Zero (people) Loaded.  No One is Loaded.  The Course will not take place.  No resources will be tasked.  No Person Years will be utilized. 

I just got the email saying that is zero loaded. I was supposed to be on that course also, but alas it looks like we will be on 0905 or 0906.

Believe me Dudes...

You'd much rather be at your respective OJT locations sitting on your hands than here (Moose Jaw) REALLY sitting on your hands...

maniac779 said:
Believe me Dudes...

You'd much rather be at your respective OJT locations sitting on your hands than here (Moose Jaw) REALLY sitting on your hands...
Well, truth be told, given the option I'd much rather have a reasonable wait for MJ... But I guess that's not really much of an option anymore. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Welshy said:
I take it your speaking from experience.  ;D

I've finished IIA, but I am watching course mates and other guys in the flight progress at a snail's pace.

And so, the pileup begins... I'm assuming this will ripple through all following courses?

As has been said, courses in Moose Jaw don't finish on time.

Changes have been made even in just the last year to try and increase production in Moose Jaw (more weekend flying, new syllabus, sim skipping, etc.), but the school has also been plagued with a number of aircraft maintenance issues this past year too numerous to discuss here, with the latest one rumoured to be reducing the number of Harvards on the line to 25% of the school's normal daily number (which I can barely remember what that number looked like) next week.

Take the particularly cold December/January and the ice filled November, and we've lost our fair share of ex's to weather as well.

If it's true that the incoming student tap has shut off, it's probably about time. Guy's are languishing here waiting to get on the line, not to mention the first half of the 08 series of courses still struggling to finish.

My next guess is Portage may well end up begging Moose Jaw for students as they will have their own slots to fill on PhIII courses.

If it's true that the incoming student tap has shut off, it's probably about time

What do you mean by this exactly? They are not taking any more new pilots, or not many are applying ?

Corey Darling said:
What do you mean by this exactly? They are not taking any more new pilots, or not many are applying ?

Rumour has it they have stopped loading guys waiting for Phase IIA on the Harvard. ("Zero Loaded" a couple of courses) That just translates into guys who are currently waiting for the course waiting longer.

I am curious to know the status of the PFT extended course. Anyone have gen on this programme?

For those waiting to go to the Big 2, it could be worse, you could be in Moose Jaw (and in Bandit) in February. ;)

I know many of you are chomping at the bit. Don't worry, MJ will come- then you wonder where all your spare time went. Take this time to finish your OPMEs, do the dive course, organize some adventure training for your unit. Stay busy, and time will fly.

Cheers,

PFT(E) FT is complete - they are running their first FOC course as I type.  On average we get two students per PH3 course from E flight.  The latest course has approx six students on it now.

I spoke with a recruiter today and he showed me the DEO numbers for pilot and acso: both were zero.  He said things might open up with the beginning of the fiscal year again, but from what many of you have said, things are so backed up that there may be no point in admitting numbers of any consequence.  Is my assessment reasonable to you people?

The job of the dudes at the recruiting center is to procure pilot candidates understanding the fact that we will need them 2-3 years down the road from the time they sign on the dotted line.

Pilot is a pretty popular and heavily applied to trade. It's not uncommon for there to be no slots left this time of year.

My guess is there will probably be more pilot slots open in the new FY. We are still below the PML. We may get closer to closing that gap due to lack of attrition this year as people probably aren't going to be as keen to jump ship into to the civilian market as it stands now, but that fact alone is not going to solve the problem completely.

Don't worry, the fact that we can't get pilots out the door in Moose Jaw probably won't affect how many we take in at the recruiting center.

That's just my guess...

Astrodog said:
What do you mean 'you people'??
By 'you people', I mean you, the people of this message board, whom many of which probably have legitimate insight into the system.

Wow, just got that.  Never saw the movie, but it's pretty obvious isn't it?

Bograt said:
I am curious to know the status of the PFT extended course. Anyone have gen on this programme?

We just got a guy up in Yellowknife that finished the Ext Course.  Hopefully he can provide some real feedback on it.

Back