• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Shortage Solutions - Enlisted Female RPAS Pilots

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The bigger issue here is that of the USAF accepting enlisted pilots of anything.

https://www.ksat.com/news/air-force-welcomes-first-enlisted-female-pilot-in-history

Air Force welcomes first enlisted female pilot in history
Courtney Farley one of dozen airmen selected for enlisted pilot initial class

Posted: 10:11 PM, August 04, 2017
Updated: 10:42 PM, August 04, 2017

SAN ANTONIO - The Air Force has officially welcomed its first enlisted female pilot in history.

Technical Sgt. Courtney Farley graduated from undergraduate remotely piloted aircraft training at Randolph Air Force Base on Friday afternoon.

She is one of a dozen airmen selected for the enlisted pilot initial class, and the only woman. She said she is very proud, humbled and excited to continue forward.

"Being a pilot isn't about what gender we are, what rank we are, so I'm excited to join the pilot aviation community and be the best pilot I can be regardless of any titles that someone wants to give me," Farley said.

Farley will continue training at Beale Air Force Base in California.

Chris Pook said:
The bigger issue here is that of the USAF accepting enlisted pilots of anything.

https://www.ksat.com/news/air-force-welcomes-first-enlisted-female-pilot-in-history

The first class of enlisted RPAS Pilots finished about 6 months ago and is in the Global Hawk training pipeline.  I understand the PR/Public Affairs aspect of highlighting the first female enlisted Pilot, but wouldn't it be a bit premature to publish this until she gets type-qualified?  If she doesn't pass Global Hawk training, I don't think there are any enlisted RPAS Pilots in the other fleets...so where does she (or anyone who fails training) go?

Dimsum said:
. . .  If she doesn't pass Global Hawk training, I don't think there are any enlisted RPAS Pilots in the other fleets...so where does she (or anyone who fails training) go?

Back to her old AFSC and continues on her previous USAF enlisted career track . . . though failing anything in the US military creates a massive stumbling block for a successful career.

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1106708/enlisted-rpa-pilot-board-selects-30-airmen-for-pilot-training/
The historic enlisted RPA pilot selection board convened at the Air Force Personnel Center Feb. 6-8 and selected two senior master sergeants, five master sergeants, nine technical sergeants, 14 staff sergeants and five alternates from about 200 active duty enlisted applicants from various Air Force Specialty Codes. These 30 Airmen join the Enlisted RPA Pilot program along with the 12 other Airmen from the Enlisted Pilot Initial Class , four of whom started training in October 2016. The Air Force plans for the number of enlisted RPA pilots to grow to 100 within four years.

To be considered for the selection board, Airmen had to hold a rank from staff sergeant through senior master sergeant and have six years of retainability from course graduation date. They were also required to complete the application, an Air Force initial flying class II physical examination plus a pilot qualification test, which is key in measuring aptitude for success in RPA pilot training.

Though, one question that should be asked is why the pilot's full name was given when the policy was:
http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/996754/first-two-enlisted-pilots-complete-solo-flights/
(Editor’s note: Only first names were given because the Air Force limits disclosure of identifying information to first names for all RPA pilots and sensor operators throughout their careers. One of the first four EPIC students was released from training for medical reasons.)

dapaterson said:
Don't all failed pilots become ACSOs?

:p

Enlisted ACSOs?  By George, that can never happen!  Oh wait.

pl-16891.jpg

Back