• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot error on Sunwing flight caused CF-18 fighter jets to scramble

Sythen

Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the right forum, so move if required.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pilot-error-on-sunwing-flight-caused-cf-18-fighter-jets-to-scramble-1.1173510

OTTAWA -- Pilot error was the reason two Canadian CF-18 Hornet fighter jets scrambled to intercept a Sunwing Airlines flight near Quebec City, after the Toronto-bound aircraft lost contact with air traffic control for more than an hour, a CTV News investigation has learned.

The jets were under the command of NORAD, the military command responsible for the defence of North American airspace.

Until now, little was known about the July 16, 2012, potential air threat. NORAD has maintained that security reasons prevented them from disclosing even the airline involved or how long the aircraft was unresponsive to radio communications.

More on link.

The part of this that really annoyed me is:

Department of National Defence figures say the total cost per flying hour for the CF-18 Hornets is $44,493. The mission involving the two jets lasted just over an hour, costing taxpayers about $90,000.

Is it now SOP for the Left leaning news outlets to include misleading info like this? That may be the cost per flying hour (I will trust them not to outright lie) but they make it seem like this particular instance cost the tax payer $90k. It obviously would have cost something as they use the fuel, etc.. And I know its preaching to the choir here and that most know the majority of those costs are spent regardless of whether the plane is responding to a threat or not, its still really annoys me that they are trying to mislead the public at large.

Media typically includes maintenance and salaries in their bogus calculations - costs that would have been incurred regardless if the F18's had been scrambled or not

So while the 45K per hour is somewhat true as far as absolute operating costs go, the marginal cost was probably no more than a tank of gas and a few quarts of oil, and maybe a boxed lunch for the pilots :)

Typical CTV or CBC left leaning article. I am amazed that they didnt give a carbon count on the fuel burned by the jets also.

Meh, I don't mind reporters reporting the total operating cost, as long as they put it in context with the estimated incremental cost.

I am curious: what would a fair estimate of the incremental hourly cost of operating a CF-18?

Reporters nowadays are looking for the 5 Ws as well as How and How Much.

SF2 said:
So while the 45K per hour is somewhat true as far as absolute operating costs go, the marginal cost was probably no more than a tank of gas and a few quarts of oil, and maybe a boxed lunch for the pilots :)

Actually the cost of the meals is already included in the cost since NORAD pilots spend a full 24 hours on shift, sitting by the aircraft.  Really, it didn't cost that much.  Just provided the pilots with a bit of excitement in an otherwise very boring day.  NORAD aircraft normally fly, so even the fuel would not have been more than usual....

Back