• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot- arts applicants vs science

ballz said:
I'm gonna recommend you don't get your PPL until after the aircrew selection course. That way if you fail, you'll simply need a couple more hours before you can redo it. If you get your PPL beforehand and fail, you'll have to get your CPL to redo it.
wow I had no idea it was possible to redo ASC if you end up failing it. I haven't heard of that before, where did you see that?

Smitty1690 said:
wow I had no idea it was possible to redo ASC if you end up failing it. I haven't heard of that before, where did you see that?

Search some ASC threads. It's possible to be granted another shot at Aircrew, but usually (if not always) they require you to get the next stage of license, (IE no license-->PPL,  PPL--->CPL) AND also wait a year, I believe.

Ballz made a very good point, not getting your license (fly the hours, just don't write the test) before you go is a good idea.

Yes smitty it's true, ask anyone who has not passed CAPPS, (like myself) I can redo if I get my PPL. They also told us that, when we were there. They (the staff) also told us about 1 guy who failed, then got PPL and passed, and about another guy who failed, got PPL failed again, then got CPL, then passed! So it's true! Not sure if I would spend all that money, (like guy 2) on CPL just to "relearn" how to fly from a military instructor! I think if you have a CPl you should at minimum get a CAPPS bypass (for sim, not medical).

Rowshambow said:
I think if you have a CPl you should at minimum get a CAPPS bypass (for sim, not medical).

I'm an Aviation College graduate and was given a CAPSS bypass when I went thru in 2003..  Not sure if that has changed or not.  Thought I heard from one of our baby pilots that they stopped doing that.  Maybe one of you wannabe's can confirm or deny it!

From what I've learned on here, they no longer let anybody skip the ACS. If you have your CPL, I don't think you have to do PFT.

As for the talk of the Arts vs Science degree, no one is saying that Science degrees make you a smarter person. That being said, it can help define what kind of thinker you are. Obviously you would expect somebody in a field of engineerings or phyics of chemistry or math to have a brain that is geared in a different away than someone with an arts degree or english or journalism or whatever, the writing courses (minus business. thats an exception)....

I would think a flying a plane would have you thinking in a very mechanical/physics type of way, meaning that someone who is a math-type person would probably be able to learn the necessary stuff a lot easier and faster and more efficiently.

ballz said:
From what I've learned on here, they no longer let anybody skip the ACS.

True

ballz said:
If you have your CPL, I don't think you have to do PFT.

False. The only way to a PFT bypass these days is the Commercial Aviation Management Program at UWO, and only for ROTP that I'm sure of. I'm not sure what would happen if someone came out of this program and joined as a DEO.

False. The only way to a PFT bypass these days is the Commercial Aviation Management Program at UWO, and only for ROTP that I'm sure of. I'm not sure what would happen if someone came out of this program and joined as a DEO.

There are some OJT guys I work with going directly to MJ (PFT bypass) based on aviation college programs (Confed/Chicoutimi/Sault etc.).  They're definitely not ROTP. 

C1Dirty said:
There are some OJT guys I work with going directly to MJ (PFT bypass) based on aviation college programs (Confed/Chicoutimi/Sault etc.).  They're definitely not ROTP. 

Hm. It must be quite recent. As Hippie said, it happened to him in 2003, so not that long ago. I don't think college programs get you the bypass anymore. Did these guys get a degree, then their aviation college program (or vice-versa) then join DEO?

benny88 said:
  True

Has that policy changed as well??  Again, when I went thru, anybody that had gone to a DND approved aviation college program (of which there are / were 12 I believe), you would skip PFT and ACS (not the medical part obviously).  I was one of them, and I certainly didn't go to UWO.  From my basic trg platoon, about 10 out of 20 or so pilots skipped PFT all together, mostof which were CEOTP (one went to UWO).   Benny88, maybe since you're working at a CFRC, you're more privy to this kind of info.  Are you absolutely sure about your information?  I would hate to think that prospective applicants here are being lead astray by bad info.

Just a reminder to all, don't take everything you read on these forums as gospel.  There's lots of good info on here, but naturally not everything will be correct.

Cheers,
Hippie

Hippie said:
  Benny88, maybe since you're working at a CFRC, you're more privy to this kind of info.  Are you absolutely sure about your information?

No, I don't work at a CFRC, sarcasm? To be honest, I was quite sure about the PFT thing, but C1Dirty said otherwise and I have no document and can't even remember who told me, so I will defer to him and say it IS possible to bypass with a college program.
  To the best of my knowledge, NOONE bypasses ACS though.

Check out this post my Maniac in an ASC thread:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63367/post-678996.html#msg678996

I was wrong about PFT looks like, but right about ASC. A look at Maniac's profile shows he DOES work in a CFRC, so I would call that a fairly firm answer.
    Sorry for the confusion and my error. Hippie is right, remember not to take anything as gospel on these forums.
    Anyways, we're off topic, and this is all covered in that forum I quoted. Back to Science vs. Religion, or whatever... ;D

benny88 said:

No, I don't work at a CFRC, sarcasm?

Ha!  I appears I miss-read your profile.  How the hell did I mix up ASU and CFRC.  Probably too much St. Patricks Day holy water cloudin the brain still.  >:D

Hippie said:
Ha!  I appears I miss-read your profile.  How the hell did I mix up ASU and CFRC.  Probably too much St. Patricks Day holy water cloudin the brain still.   >:D

Haha no worries. As penance I sentence you to buying me a holy water in a few decades when I finally get to a squadron.

Back