• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot- arts applicants vs science

Smitty1690

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,
I would really like to become a pilot with the CF (ROTP), and was wondering if your program type effects your chances. i.e Arts or Sciences. I've done some research, and know that someone persuing an arts degree can become a pilot, but do the science/engineering applicants have a better edge?
Smitty  :salute:

Doesn't make a bit of difference.

Smitty1690 said:
Hey,
I would really like to become a pilot with the CF (ROTP), and was wondering if your program type effects your chances. i.e Arts or Sciences. I've done some research, and know that someone persuing an arts degree can become a pilot, but do the science/engineering applicants have a better edge?

There are no degree requirements for becoming a Pilot. You just have to have a degree to become an Officer, and you need to be an Officer to become a pilot.

Why do you assume that someone with a science/engineering degree would have a better edge? Are you assuming those with an Arts degree (or in pursuant of one) are not as smart as science/engineer types? Some engineers are know are dumb as door knobs, some artsmen I know are the most enlightened people I've ever met. Maybe you think they arn't as capable? I know some engineer who can do math that has impressed the professors, but who on course couldn't learn figure out to set there god damn hoochies (tent...sort of...) up. You pick a degree partly because of what you actually enjoy, not because one is for 'smart' people and the other isn't.

Ignore rant if I assumed incorrect.

Are you and BrianBB one and the same?  Pilot wannabe's.  Over use of saluting smilies.  Makes me wonder.

Smitty1690 said:
Hey,

Nope, having (or working towards) a Science degree as opposed to having (or working towards) an Arts degree does not give you 'an edge' over other applicants who are applying for pilot as well. However, that being said, there <b>are</b> areas of study <b>within</b> both degree programmes respectively that are "preferred" with respect to the pilot trade over other areas of study.

Reference my attached image. When you download it rotate it twice clockwise to see it right-side up (and zoom in a few times), and my apologies for it being cut off near the top, however what is up there does not really matter. If you locate the pilot trade on the very left hand side and move rightwards, you will see a number either '1' or '2' corresponding with a specialization listed above.

You will notice that there are specializations within ALL fields (Engineering, Science, Arts) that are preferred, having the number '1' beneath that specific specialization (reference the Legend at the bottom left of the graph). You will notice that, for example, Chemistry is a "preferred" specialization (being a Science program), while International Studies or Political Science (being Arts programs) are ALSO preferred specializations. There are also a great deal of Engineering programs that are deemed "preferable" - General Engineering, Aeronautical, Aerospace, Computer, and Electrical Engineering.

That does not mean that these specific programs are your only options if you hope to get an offer for pilot. The MAJORITY of degree programs listed on that sheet (either within Engineering, Science, or Arts) are listed with a '2' - meaning "acceptable" for that specific trade.

That being said, say you have a degree in Political Science (Arts), and your competitor has a degree in Physics (Science) - you will be more "competitive" over this other guy, simply because you hold a "preferred" degree over an "acceptable" degree, regardless of your individual degree programmes, regardless of the fact that he holds a Science degree and you hold an Arts degree. However, say you hold a degree in Geology (Science), and your competitor holds a degree in International Studies (Arts) - HE will be more competitive simply because, again, he holds a "preferred" degree.

Therefore, it is irrelevant what field you are in (Science as opposed to Arts), as there are preferred degree programs in both (and of course, within the Engineering field as well).

Lumber said:
Why do you assume that someone with a science/engineering degree would have a better edge? Are you assuming those with an Arts degree (or in pursuant of one) are not as smart as science/engineer types? Some engineers are know are dumb as door knobs, some artsmen I know are the most enlightened people I've ever met. Maybe you think they arn't as capable? I know some engineer who can do math that has impressed the professors, but who on course couldn't learn figure out to set there god damn hoochies (tent...sort of...) up. You pick a degree partly because of what you actually enjoy, not because one is for 'smart' people and the other isn't.

We already had this argument - please, let's not get into it again...

Lumber said:
There are no degree requirements for becoming a Pilot. You just have to have a degree to become an Officer, and you need to be an Officer to become a pilot.

Ignore rant if I assumed incorrect.

It seemed like a simple straight-forward question to me.

By the way, Smitty1690, I have a high school diploma, and no degree. When I went through degrees were only required for doctors, lawyers, engineers etcetera. I saw no need to spend three years doing something completely irrelevant.

Degrees don't make better pilots. In fact, more DEOs (with degrees) than OCTPs (without degrees) failed on my courses. I suspect that that was due to lack of motivation, as they had something to fall back on and therefore put less effort into flying training.

infamous_p said:
We already had this argument - let's not get into it again...

We did? Can you link me the thread so I can read it over?

Lumber said:
We did? Can you link me the thread so I can read it over?

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/71410/post-681729.html#msg681729

Thanks for your replies, that was pretty fast. I'll assume that there isn't any difference what program you're in... I only ask because military airplanes are sophisticated pieces of technology, so it only made sense to me that recruiters would be looking more for people with a science sortof background, but luckily for me that's not necessarily true ;D

George Wallace said:
Are you and BrianBB one and the same?  Pilot wannabe's.  Over use of saluting smilies.  Makes me wonder.
No sir :salute:

Smitty1690 said:
Thanks for your replies, that was pretty fast. I'll assume that there isn't any difference what program you're in... I only ask because military airplanes are sophisticated pieces of technology, so it only made sense to me that recruiters would be looking more for people with a science sortof background, but luckily for me that's not necessarily true ;D

Well... Science is a very broad discipline.

Also, although your primary function will be to fly, you will not be spending every hour of every day in the cockpit of an airframe. You must remember that being an Officer will come with a sea of other duties that come with being just that - an Officer.

For example like I referenced before - a degree in International Studies. As an Officer in the CF you will be establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals from different countries in a broad range of circumstances. You may also be sent on operations in differing parts of the world, thus it being helpful to have a great deal of knowledge about countries and cultures abroad.

Good luck.

infamous_p said:
Also, although your primary function will be to fly, you will not be spending every hour of every day in the cockpit of an airframe. You must remember that being an Officer will come with a sea of other duties that come with being just that - an Officer.

For example like I referenced before - a degree in International Studies. As an Officer in the CF you will be establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals from different countries in a broad range of circumstances. You may also be sent on operations in differing parts of the world, thus it being helpful to have a great deal of knowledge about countries and cultures abroad.

Good luck.

Very true, and thanks.

Smitty,

If you're looking for an edge, I recommend taking some flying lessons. I don't think it "officially" helps, but it shows you're interested in the trade, which you can say during your interview, and at least gives you some sort of idea of what you're getting yourself into. Plus it's fun! Be wary though, you will get hooked on flying, and it can get very, very expensive.
    Also, if you're looking into "pilot-relevant" programs, check out this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/71815/post-687699.html#msg687699

Cheers

infamous_p  that chart doesn't seem to be that accurate in portraying what trades are available to what degree you have.  Biggest thing I noticed was the Cbt Arms trade being not acceptable to certain degrees, which seems kind of odd.  Just wondering, where did you find this chart.

mhawk said:
infamous_p  that chart doesn't seem to be that accurate in portraying what trades are available to what degree you have.  Biggest thing I noticed was the Cbt Arms trade being not acceptable to certain degrees, which seems kind of odd.  Just wondering, where did you find this chart.

Really, I mean, what's the difference between a degree in English and a degree in Journalism in terms of how it will affect an Infranty Officer's performance?

mhawk said:

That chart doesn't tell you that certain degrees are plain and simple not acceptable for certain trades, i.e. Cbt Arms. The chart is not saying "if you have such and such degree, we're sorry, but you cannot be an Armoured Officer." That chart is simply an outline for someone hoping to get education sponsorship through ROTP.

If you want to get a Physics Oceanography degree on your own dime, then all the power to you - you should not have any problems applying to the CF as an Officer with that degree. It will be perfectly acceptable.

However, if you expect to attain an education on the Queen's dime through the ROTP entry plan, you are not going to be sponsored under (for example) the Physics Oceanography or Earth Observational Science degree programmes if your choice for ROTP is any of the Cbt Arms trades. Notice the title of the chart: <i>"Occupations and Course Patterns for ROTP Subsidized Education at a Civilian University".</i> If your choice is Cbt Arms for ROTP, why would the government sponsor your education in the discipline(s) of Physics Oceanography or Earth Observational Science? Your skills in those degree programmes will likely be better utilized elsewhere - perhaps in other MOCs.

The chart was provided by CFRC/D Toronto.

That's pretty much the reason behind the charts. For example, a Journalism Degree is better suited for a PAFO position as that is the best use of your degree and the CF's dime. Just like you'll never get an M.D. On the CF's dime unless you want to be a Military Physician :)

benny88 said:
If you're looking for an edge, I recommend taking some flying lessons. I don't think it "officially" helps, but it shows you're interested in the trade, which you can say during your interview, and at least gives you some sort of idea of what you're getting yourself into. Plus it's fun! Be wary though, you will get hooked on flying, and it can get very, very expensive.
    Also, if you're looking into "pilot-relevant" programs, check out this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/71815/post-687699.html#msg687699

Cheers

I've finished ground school and am about 25 hours into my flight training. (PPL) I'm already hooked ;D my poor wallet...

Smitty1690 said:
I've finished ground school and am about 25 hours into my flight training. (PPL) I'm already hooked ;D my poor wallet...

Oh good! Well if you're not dead-set on RMC, check out that link, in that program you have the chance to get PPL, CPL, and multi-engine IFR on the Queen's shilling.

Smitty1690 said:

I'm gonna recommend you don't get your PPL until after the aircrew selection course. That way if you fail, you'll simply need a couple more hours before you can redo it. If you get your PPL beforehand and fail, you'll have to get your CPL to redo it.

Mind you, take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to amount to something in the military like yourself. I'm don't know the ins and outs of it all thats for sure.

Back