• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics - The Armourers of Australia's AASAM 2005 (weapons and related cool things)

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, got in late last night after another 13 hrs on the road to get home, and I thought I would begin to load some intersting pics.

After 32 days away with less than one afternoon off, its sure good to be home! Went for a swim last night, and I don't have to be back at work until Monday, so call it a long weekend if you wish.

Firstly, here is a pic of me (left) and CFN Paul Hocroft, taken on a cool day last week. I will post some intereting pics, including the US M249 Minimi, and the rare and new prototype of the Indonesian SS2 V.1. This rifle is not even on the INet (a pic anyways) yet, and only mentiones it on there, so you seen it first on here.

Like the goanna? Thats the second largest dragon, next to the Komodo one, and it can be vicious. We were bored and caught one, and Paul only suffered a few scratches. He was not a happy lizzie, hizzing quite loud, and his fork tongue continually moving in and out of his well toothed mouth... and talk about bad breath! We let him go in a nearby creekbed, and he quickly scrurried off into the bushland.

The last couple of pics in this post are of the new GMV (General Maintenance Vehicle) we were loaned from 5 CSSB in Sydney. 4x4, but we got bogged in the mud upo to the axles, so not the greatest thing off road, but it sure is a good mobile workshop, and it had air conditioning in the cab.

Enjoy the pics.

Cheers,

Wes

UK Small Arms: A Royal Marines Commando checks out his L85A2 rifle, and a series of other UK pics.

Your truck looks like one of those the food venders drive on the US bases...

Nice pics

yes Kev, AKA, the pie wagon.

Now some more pics   8)

Unbreeching of an A2. The rifle was under breeched, and a new breech-ring had to be placed in. Long story, but different sized rings, etc. Anyways in no time at all, the rifle was happily barking away on the range.

The Indonesian SS1 V.1, a licensed copy of the FNC made by Pindad in Indonesia.

The next 2 pics are of the SS2 V.2, which is basically a FNC lower with a new developed upper and bbl. Notice the gas block design. I wonder where they got that idea? Note the improved folding stock with cheek pad.

Indonesia's Minimi.

Note the ADI (Australian) bbl, and MAG58 flash suppressor, and a unique Indoneisan designed rear sight, resembling the .30 browning's. off teh shelf FNH recievers.

SS2 V1 with a broken stud on the op rod. if you have ever seen a M60, or a Lewis, you'll understand. The stud snapped off, and we welded it back on for the Indonesian Army. After it was done, filed and fitted, the rifle worked and cycled properly, and the team carried on shooting throughout the event.

SGT Kenny Bain, USMC holds the SS2 V1.

FAMAS in 5.56 with the unique French rail system

East Timorese 'issued' Colt M4 carbine

New Zealand's Steyr 'Marksman'. This version is found in the Inf section with 1 or 2 soldiers having it. The rest have the generic 1st gen housings with fixed optics. This is the 1st one have seen.

The USA's M249 SAW.

What a bewt this is, compared to any Minimi I have ever seen and used, This is the most robust and well built style I have ever seen.

Its made by FN in South Carolina, and the finish was a nice phosphated grey. Additional welds on the cocking handle rail, improved cocking handle stop, one piece Picitinny rail machined on to the feed cover, and a unique hand guard on the bbl, which is QD.

Oil filled buffer, and unique 'direct gas system' which elliminates the gas reg and its settings. Notice the folding carrying handle too.

Good on the US for upgrading this weapon!

Stand easy! More pics to follow shortly. Time for breakfast!

Here is Paul with the new US Army ACU, and the old Woodland types.

Note the DPDU (Desert AUSCAM) shirt on the workbench.

Cheers,

Wes

Nice pics Wes - looks like you were kept busy.

What is the honest, from the ground assessment on the L85A2?  I've heard so many conflicting reports and have seen how poor the A1 performed that I don't know what to believe.  ???

I spoke to many of the British, both Army, Royal Marines, and Royal Navy, from PTE to MAJ, and all openly confess that the early SA80, or A1 as we'll call it, had some serious issues (and was CRAP as one put it), and ALL these issues have been resolved with HK's A2 upgrade.

Winning the confidence of the men (and some women - being PC here   ;)) was not an easy effort, but with new mags (these are the best), new springs, new cocking handle, and modified gas parts, plus other things, the rifle has been re-born. However it should be noted that some Forces in the UK are infact using Diemaco (now Colt Canada) manufactured M16 FOWs.

Many I spoke to had been to Iraq, some twice, and others are rotating in soon, and all are confident in the new A2, and love it completly.

Not one of them had one bad comment against the rifle, including their armourer.

Cheers,

Wes

Some more pics....

The UK's L7 w/SUSAT mounted

An FN manufactured M16A4 lower;  and

A RN officer examines a French FAMAS

FAMAS G2 markings

Sinapore SAR21 markings

Paul with the SAR 21

H&R Viet Nam vintage M16A1 upgraded to M16A2 from the US Army Team

I wonder how that A1/A2 felt about being back in the neighbourhood...  ;)

The H&R lower has had the 'AUTO' milled off, and is re-engraved with 'BURST'.

Two US M249, with two different gas blocks.

Paul, test firing the SS2 V1 - firing from the hip, wearing safety glasses, and hoping of no catastrophic failure. the hip fire was to prevent any 'shrapnel' (if it blew) from blowing into his face, instead blowing into his hip :warstory:  It worked fine.

A PNG issued CIS (ST Kinetics) Ultimax SAW

Too right Kevin! I have seen Colts, GM's and FNs, and I was always told that the H&Rs were rare, and now especially with this mod. A good find.

More pics.

Some Ultimax pics......

On the last pic, USMC, US Army, RFMF, and Indonesians watch as we disect a Ultimax.

Back