• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness

H

haplo6

I‘m new to this forum so forgive me if I missed the boat on some of these comments. Here‘s a fresh perspective:

I think Polkovnik is right, physical fitness standards in the CF are very low. I have been in for 4 years now and I know it doesn‘t seem that long but you‘d think I would have been subject to some sort of fitness review in that time. I have never had to pass a 13km ruck march, we did one on QL3 in 99 but it wasn‘t a requirement and a good thing too because 7 of us finished out of 28, instructors included. It is a problem when people can no longer fulfill their roles due to poor fitness standards. If there was some sort of yearly test like the ones they used to have (not sure of any details on that) then soldiers, especially reservists would have the motivation to go out and due it on their own. It doesn‘t take much. Give the common soldier a goal, not just one too get in, but one to maintain and the average person will due their utmost to acheive that goal. Possibly incentives or rewards? Competition is what the world thrives on and it breeds better soldiers, troops, units, armies, companies etc. Anyone can pass a test one time but could you pass it 3 days later, or a week, a year. The sad truth is that in this army there are a lot of "soldiers" who can‘t.

Commenting on the 7min/mile thing...we‘re Canadian so that doesn‘t apply to us but the 7min/mile pace is equivalent to a 22min 5km run which everyone, regardless of shape of size, should be able to do.

For your information: Donovan Bailey ran the 100m in 9.84s to win the 96 Atlanta Olympics. Maurice Green (that American) beat it by running 9.79. Last year another American, Tim Montgomery bettered it to 9.78.

Based on my experience in my QL3 in 93, fitness was relatively easy. We did all the tests, but not enough time was allocated to PT on a regular basis. It was kinda all over the place. Needless to say, nobody dropped out of our 13 km ruck march, however. Have fitness standards decreased since I was there? I don‘t know. I guess i will know in a month as I will be doing it all over again.

I think maybe a bigger problem is the fact that no time is allocated for PT. The first four weeks of my BMQ we did PT, then it just vanished for the rest of the course. I for one was not happy at this, as my distance running was getting better.

It‘s one thing to run with the group, with your instructers around you and another to train by yourself.The motivation to go on is so much greater when your with your peers.

Back