• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Phoenix Pay System - Shit's Horrible

dapaterson said:
Well, someone got an award instead of jail time.  Flashback to five years ago, when this was a success...

https://o.canada.com/uncategorized/public-servant-gets-top-award-for-overhaul-of-pay-pension-systems

Thanks dataperson...belly full of hate now.

This line from that though made me chuckle sardonically.

“This kind of work almost never makes it to the headlines but it sure has made it to the bottom line,” said Harper.

Remius said:
Thanks dataperson...belly full of hate now.

This line from that though made me chuckle sardonically.

“This kind of work almost never makes it to the headlines but it sure has made it to the bottom line,” said Harper.

Six phases of a big project

The six phases of a big project is a cynical take on the outcome of large projects, with an unspoken assumption about their seemingly inherent tendency towards chaos. The list is reprinted in slightly different variations in any number of project management books as a cautionary tale. One such example gives the phases as:

1.Enthusiasm,
2.Disillusionment,
3.Panic and hysteria,
4.Hunt for the guilty,
5.Punishment of the innocent, and
6.Reward for the uninvolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_phases_of_a_big_project

Guess not everyone is waiting for the new super solution...

Senate set to ditch Phoenix in January
While the federal government is pumping another half-billion dollars into trying to right the Phoenix payroll-system ship, the Senate will be in its own life raft by next year.

On March 21, the Senate’s Internal Economy, Budgets, and Administration Committee, which handles legal and financial affairs for the Upper Chamber, approved a Jan. 1, 2020 launch date for its new payroll system, provided by ADP Canada.

The Toronto-based company was selected last spring to provide the Senate’s new pay system, winning a five-year $902,250 contract.

More from The Hill Times at link.

I was told today, in writing, that I will be receiving my missing acting superintendent's pay from almost three years on May 1st.  So, if I disappear from Army.ca in May it's because the fix failed and the hydro and internet ain't getting paid no more.

Haggis said:
I was told today, in writing, that I will be receiving my missing acting superintendent's pay from almost three years on May 1st.  So, if I disappear from Army.ca in May it's because the fix failed and the hydro and internet ain't getting paid no more.

But did they say May 1st of which year?

#Loopholes

I don't know how you guys do it everyday, honestly.

I would have quit long ago and gone elsewhere.  Phoenix is an absolutely unacceptable debacle. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
I don't know how you guys do it everyday, honestly.

I would have quit long ago and gone elsewhere.  Phoenix is an absolutely unacceptable debacle.

:ditto: times a thousand.

I can only assume the unions have something in the works, because I'm utterly flabbergasted there aren't massive walk outs every single day. I'm sorry, I'm not being paid, I don't work. You want to fire me for not showing up to work? I'll take it to arbitration... good luck explaining to a judge that you fired me because I didn't want to work for negative money.

Haggis said:

Wait...you haven't been paid in 3 years?  Am I reading that right?!

Haggis said:

Scre#ed around on May Day. Marx would recommend a revolution....

Dimsum said:
Wait...you haven't been paid in 3 years?  Am I reading that right?!

Nope, I'm not that unlucky.  Three years ago I was an acting superintendent for a couple of months.  I was paid my regular rate but never received my acting pay.  This transaction is for my acting regular hours only.  It may be months yet before I see the OT claimed during that period as well.

dapaterson said:
But did they say May 1st of which year?

#Loopholes

The e-mail did say 2019. it also said I can "expect to see" the hoped for transaction.  No guarantees, apparently.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/phoenix-overpay-numbers-workers-1.5091809

3 in 4 public servants overpaid by Phoenix

More than 223K federal workers have received too much pay, latest numbers show

CBC News · Posted: Apr 10, 2019 11:46 AM ET

Nearly three-quarters of federal public servants have received too much money on at least one paycheque issued by the Phoenix pay system.

As of January, of the approximately 300,000 workers paid through Phoenix, 223,173, or about 74.4 per cent, had been overpaid at least once between April 2016 and January 2019, according to Gatineau MP Steven MacKinnon, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of Public Services and Procurement.

<snip>

"The crisis is bigger than we thought," said Greg McGillis, executive vice-president of the National Capital Region for the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

<snip>

How many underpayments were there in the same time?  What was the value of the overpayments vs the underpayments?

I know in my case, the value of the half dozen or so overpayments is dwarfed by the over two dozen underpayments in that timeframe... to say nothing of the other amounts still owed to me.

I have no more of an idea regarding that than I have of the accuracy of my own pay, which, as a Casual, is simpler (I think) and should, therefore, perhaps be a little more accurate.

We'll all know in another ten or twenty years.

I don't know anyone who got an overpayment, I do know lots who have been underpaid or not paid.

For some reason, the article focussed more on the "nearly three-quarters of federal public servants (who) have received too much money on at least one paycheque issued by the Phoenix pay system" than those unfortunates who have been underpaid.

It does say later on that "there had been $246 million in overpayments and $369 million in underpayments by Phoenix as of March 31, 2018", or half as much again underpaid than overpaid.

An awful mess, either way, let alone both ways.

So, just looked at the latest dashboard.  The backlog (20 March 2019) is down to 248,000!  #KermitTheFrog Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!  (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/services-paye-pay-services/centre-presse-media-centre/tableau-dashboard/tableau-03-2019-dashboard-eng.html)

Let's see how we're doing... ok, the earliest archived report is from 28 June 2017 when there were... 246,000 in the backlog. (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/services-paye-pay-services/centre-presse-media-centre/tableau-dashboard/tableau-06-2017-dashboard-eng.html)

So, after the last twenty one months of work, the backlog has grown by 2,000 cases.

dapaterson said:
So, just looked at the latest dashboard.  The backlog (20 March 2019) is down to 248,000!  #KermitTheFrog Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!  (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/services-paye-pay-services/centre-presse-media-centre/tableau-dashboard/tableau-03-2019-dashboard-eng.html)

Let's see how we're doing... ok, the earliest archived report is from 28 June 2017 when there were... 246,000 in the backlog. (https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/services-paye-pay-services/centre-presse-media-centre/tableau-dashboard/tableau-06-2017-dashboard-eng.html)

So, after the last twenty one months of work, the backlog has grown by 2,000 cases.

But the growth rate has slowed, right? #glasshalffull :)

To me it looks like they should just cut the program. Figure out how much everyone makes, and pay them in cheque with a nice printed paystub explaining it as clearly there system isn't working.

Since everyone would then be paid correctly at the moment, you then go audit everyones pay, one by one, and either pay out what is owed to them or regain what was over paid. Then after that point, fix the program if they want, or get another one. The fact this is still growing is absolutely disgusting and is honestly a national embarrassment. How can you expect our government to run the country effectively if they can't even properly pay there employees?

I don't understand what can be so hard about this as realistically a payment system should be relatively basic and its not like there isn't dozens of reliable options out there to pick from.

I started 4 weeks ago with the PS - 21 Mar. 

This week is my first 'pay' week - since apparently they withhold the first 2 weeks of pay. 

I logged in yesterday morning, I have a 'paycheque' visible in Phoenix - I'm actually able to login, which puts me ahead of my co-worker who started on the same day as I did.  In looking at the paycheque, and comparing with others, I'm only missing the healthcare plan, and the dental plan, which apparently will start at some point in the first 3 months...so it looks like (fingers crossed) I might actually get paid tomorrow...because the direct deposit information looked accurate as well.

That said, there are 3 other people in my section who's pay is messed up - one guy for almost 3 years.  Another guy who was actually getting paper paycheques for almost 2 years...I'm feeling a bit bad if my pay is working correctly, and theirs isn't.  It's kind of a good/bad feeling - I really want my pay to be right, but I feel bad that my co-works pay is wrong.

NS

Back