• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peter MacKay leaving politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kilo_302 said:
The rats are fleeing the ship. Peter Mackay is one the more despicable member of Parliament.

He's 49, been in politics for 18 years, has a new wife and new child, and has another child on the way. His dad was in politics and Peter rarely got to see him. Is it so despicable to think that he might want to be with his family and watch his kids grow up?

I hope you know there is more to the whole story that meets the eye? Same goes for John Baird who since stepping down March 16 this year, he has been racking up positions in the private sector.

Mining giant Barrick Gold appointed him to its international advisory board. Canadian Pacific Railway named him to its board of directors.

He is also advising Hong Kong billionaire Richard Li, the son of one of the wealthiest man in Asia, on international matters.

JS2218 said:
He's 49, been in politics for 18 years, has a new wife and new child, and has another child on the way. His dad was in politics and Peter rarely got to see him. Is it so despicable to think that he might want to be with his family and watch his kids grow up?

I wonder who they'll offer me as a replacement candidate for the next election... I think they'll get their ass handed to them.

Kilo_302 said:
The rats are fleeing the ship. Peter Mackay is one the more despicable member of Parliament.

Have you ever met the man? If not, I will tell you I have on several occasions.

He's remarkably intelligent, and far from being a "rat".

I read one article that speculated his leaving now opens the door to returning as a saviour should Conservatives do less than stellar in the coming election.

opcougar said:
I hope you know there is more to the whole story that meets the eye? Same goes for John Baird who since stepping down March 16 this year, he has been racking up positions in the private sector.

Mining giant Barrick Gold appointed him to its international advisory board. Canadian Pacific Railway named him to its board of directors.

He is also advising Hong Kong billionaire Richard Li, the son of one of the wealthiest man in Asia, on international matters.

::)

Really?  Have you actually kept much track as to where our former leaders have gone, not only political, but from the military?  They all get hired on somewhere by some large corporation or major Education Institution.  So what is your point?

opcougar said:

Good for them.  They are both pretty intelligent, smart, capable guys, regardless of their politics. They are probably only now getting paid what they are worth - political office would never have given them that kind of renumeration, in a financial sense.  They can have their lives back now.  I applaud each of them for their service and respect their decisions. 

Further to what others have said, MacKay would be a much more lucrative get for any law firm / private corporation because of the multiple portfolios he had during his career in Ottawa.

Every law firm in Canada would dream of getting a former justice minister on the letterhead. His stint at Foreign Affairs makes him desirable to the boards of NGO's and businesses doing work overseas. And the Defense industry will be tripping all overthemselves with offers.

Essentially MacKay can write his own ticket from here on in.

Point of disclosure, I met Peter MacKay several times back in his Dal Law School days and when he was with the Prosecution Service in NS through a former girlfriend of mine who was a classmate of his. I liked the guy, he was intelligent and personable. And nothing during his political career in Ottawa has changed that opinion.

I am sorry to see him go.  He is for me, the only MND that I had any use for since I first put on the uniform in 1980.

Same point as the poster who seems to really think the main reason McKay has quit, is truly because he wants to spend more time with the family. Going to roll your eyes and ask the other poster how he knows this for a fact?

George Wallace said:

Really?  Have you actually kept much track as to where our former leaders have gone, not only political, but from the military?  They all get hired on somewhere by some large corporation or major Education Institution. So what is your point?

opcougar said:
Same point as the poster who seems to really think the main reason McKay has quit, is truly because he wants to spend more time with the family. Going to roll your eyes and ask the other poster how he knows this for a fact?

Maybe it's your perception that's a problem. Have you ever met him? I have and I have to say I like him.
Not all politicians are sleaze balls.

For MacKay, his political career had come to a standstill. By making a deal with Harper to bring the PC Party into the Reform fold, he ensured his position as a power broker within the party and caucus. But it also limited his opportunities to become Leader and PM. That would only have happened if the CPC suffered a significant electoral defeat, or a internal party coup took place. With the former, the party wouldn't recover and he would not get to sit as PM. And with the latter, Harper's tight grip on the reins and micromanaging every aspect of the government apparatus, a regime change was not likely to happen.

I believe that MacKay does want to step back from public life for at least the near future. Even Solomon makes a good point about MacKay's own experience as a child of a political power broker:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/timing-of-peter-mackay-s-departure-politically-damaging-1.3093969

MacKay has a young family and he and his wife are expecting a daughter in the fall, so his explanation that he wants to spend time with his young family is understandable. His own parents divorced when he was young, and his father Elmer, a minister in the Mulroney cabinet, was often absent as MacKay grew up. It is an experience he has publicly said he does not want to repeat for his own children.

But what raises a big question is the timing of the decision, not so much because it throws the election strategy into chaos, but rather MacKay filed the nomination papers, and told the press in February that he was ready for the upcoming campaign. And with the departure of other high profile members, Harper made it clear that anyone who was planning on not running this fall had to make their intentions known so plans could be made, and the announcements managed.

What changed in the interceding 3 months?

And as some of the pundits have pointed out, do not rule out an eventual return to political life.

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

opcougar said:

George Wallace said:

Really? Have you actually kept much track as to where our former leaders have gone, not only political, but from the military?  They all get hired on somewhere by some large corporation or major Education Institution. So what is your point?

Wrong answer.

If you can't answer a simple question, then why continue to post?

Have you actually kept track of where our former leaders, political and military, have found highly placed jobs?  Have you?

That is MY POINT.  You are complaining of one person in your "Harper/Conserveative Hater" rhetoric, when almost every former leader in this country, no matter their political stripe, have been snapped up by big business, industry, universities, legal firms, etc.  Guess this flies right over your head as you focus solely on your agenda.   

Funny you should mention "interpretation"...ironic ain't it as it applies to discussions on here and responses? YES I have met McKay on more than one occasion in and out of uniform, and sat down at a table with him. He actually still owes me a towel (cos he / his people forgot to pack a towel for his trip).

I realize not all politicians are "sleaze balls", just like not every bloggins driving a Ford F-whatever / Dodge Ram is an a-hole overcompensating for something else.

Hamish Seggie said:
Maybe it's your perception that's a problem. Have you ever met him? I have and I have to say I like him.
Not all politicians are sleaze balls.

The CPC is getting stale and long in the tooth for a government, after they fall, Harper will likely move on, McKay will have distance and a good rep, likely making a good candidate to take over the party. Also does leaving now not keep him under the old pension rules?

Colin P said:
The CPC is getting stale and long in the tooth for a government, .....

No more so than any of the long sitting Liberal governments of the past.

George Wallace said:
No more so than any of the long sitting Liberal governments of the past.

Quite true, George, but that's (mostly) why we tossed them out ... 1957, 1979, 2006. Liberals get old and stale, so do Conservatives.

The "long sitting Liberals" were, of course, Mackenzie King and St Laurent who had back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back majorities (six in all) from 1935 to 1957. Typically, since then, parties have held on to back-to-back majorities for eight (Mulroney) to eleven (Pearson/Trudeau) to thirteen (Chretien/Martin) years. Stephen Harper has been prime minister for nine years now ...

Often the result of a long sitting government is the will of the people for stability in times of trouble.  The Liberals took us through WW II and Korea in those years 1935 to 1957.  It is more likely a result of prosperity and stable world politics that drives the population to want, or want to experiment with, a change.  I am not sure we are in quite that situation at the moment, and have no real alternatives in the other parties to replace the current one.  The departure of MacKay and others could be the instrument of a change, before it is due, by creating an atmosphere where strong delegates in other parties will win over Conservatives in those Ridings, which could in turn bring in a weak Prime Minister.  This election should prove interesting. 

[Edit to add]  I wonder what kind of successor Peter MacKay has in his Riding (as with all the other retiring MPs) to fill his void in the Party?

George Wallace said:
I wonder what kind of successor Peter MacKay has in his Riding (as with all the other retiring MPs) to fill his void in the Party?
According to CBC, at the riding level anyway ....
CBC News has learned Fred DeLorey, Conservative dir. of pol. operations, will seek party nom(ination) in Peter #MacKay's riding of Central Nova.
He appears to be from Nova Scotia, and has advised the PM about the area, so an interesting choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back