• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peter MacKay leaving politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
873
Points
860
More at link.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peter-mackay-justice-minister-to-leave-federal-politics-1.3092480

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/justice-minister-peter-mackay-won-t-seek-re-election-1.2396996

Interesting...
 

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
268
Points
910
Peter MacKay leaves with a mixed record ... some of his ministerial judgements have led many Conservatives to question his fitness to lead, but he will always be acknowledged as a leader with vision and foresight for his decision to join Stephen Harper in "uniting the right."

He was never popular with the hard right wing of the CPC, especially those with deep roots in the Reform Party, many of whom felt (still feel) that the old Progressive Conservatives were 99% wishy-washy pinko progressive and only 1% true blue conservative. But he did lead almost the whole PC 'family' into the CPC, including e.g. Scott Brison who later crossed the floor to become a Liberal, and that made him a power within the CPC and guaranteed that Prime Minister Harper would always give him a senior cabinet post.

 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,809
Points
890
Jim Prentice.

John Baird.

Peter MacKay.

Seems as if potential future leaders are leaving before the next election.  I'd love to be reading the Tories' internal polling... are they afraid of sharing space with Elsie Wayne?
 

Kilo_302

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The rats are fleeing the ship. Peter Mackay is one the more despicable member of Parliament.
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
873
Points
860
Kilo_302 said:
The rats are fleeing the ship. Peter Mackay is one the more despicable member of Parliament.

Actually the progressive conservatives seem to be fleeing the ship.  This should have conservatives worried about a potential fracturing of the coalition that keeps them united.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
569
Points
1,060
Kilo_302 said:
The rats are fleeing the ship. Peter Mackay is one the more despicable member of Parliament.
Tell us more about what the Liberal party thinks about this.
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,699
Points
890
dapaterson said:
Jim Prentice.

John Baird.

Peter MacKay.

Seems as if potential future leaders are leaving before the next election.  I'd love to be reading the Tories' internal polling... are they afraid of sharing space with Elsie Wayne?

Wow, no kidding. Let's also not forget the death of Jim Flaherty who was also of a rather high profile within the party.
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
873
Points
860
Brihard said:
Wow, no kidding. Let's also not forget the death of Jim Flaherty who was also of a rather high profile within the party.

More importantly he resigned from cabinet before his death.

*Corrected for accuracy
 

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
3
Points
430
Stephen Harper’s task more difficult without Peter MacKay: Hébert

With the loss of Peter MacKay, Stephen Harper’s task of leading his party to a fourth mandate this fall has become more daunting.

By: Chantal Hébert National Affairs,  Published on Fri May 29 2015

If it were not for Peter MacKay, Stephen Harper would never have become prime minister and it is an open question whether he can secure another majority mandate or, for that matter, another election victory, without him.


What is certain is that, in the absence at his side of the man who led the Progressive Conservatives to his tent a bit more than decade ago, Harper’s task of leading his party to a fourth mandate this fall has become more daunting... and a bit more lonely.


If you believe, as I do, that the moderate conservative voters who gave Harper a majority in 2011 stand to decide the outcome of the upcoming campaign, then the loss of MacKay as a candidate is a grievous one.


Preventing red Tory voters from turning into blue Liberals (or taking on a shade of NPD orange) will be harder in his absence.

Rest of article at link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/29/stephen-harpers-task-more-difficult-without-peter-mackay-hbert.html
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,699
Points
890
Crantor said:
More importantly he resigned from cabinet before his death.

*Corrected for accuracy

Oh, I'm well aware. Though it was all over the span of only a few weeks- I would suspect that in his case it was pretty much completely related to his medical condition. I mentioned him only to add to the list of significant players who are no longer in play.

I'm quite curious as to what MacKay will do, and I wish him well. Though it won't stop me from enjoying the odd giggle at his expense.

Mackay.jpg
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
873
Points
860
Brihard said:
Oh, I'm well aware. Though it was all over the span of only a few weeks- I would suspect that in his case it was pretty much completely related to his medical condition. I mentioned him only to add to the list of significant players who are no longer in play.

I'm quite curious as to what MacKay will do, and I wish him well. Though it won't stop me from enjoying the odd giggle at his expense.

Mackay.jpg

Possibly despite his assertion to the contrary about his health being the reason.  I suspect that his opposition to income splitting was the real reason...

I'm sure Mr. MacKay will find some "rewarding" work, not unlike Mr. Baird.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,809
Points
890
Brihard said:
Saw that; didn't really recognize the name. Has she been a player of any significance in recent years? There's always a spate of 'I'm outs' as an election approaches, normal retirements etc...

Twenty two years and age 66 means she can retire to an immediate pension.
 

Ostrozac

Sr. Member
Reaction score
139
Points
430
Brihard said:
Saw that; didn't really recognize the name. Has she been a player of any significance in recent years? There's always a spate of 'I'm outs' as an election approaches, normal retirements etc...

To be fair, it's not like she's suddenly noticed the election coming up, as she already did announce her retirement in July 2013.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lebreton-ablonczy-step-aside-as-cabinet-shuffle-looms-1.1334908

Is this a re-announcement? Or did nobody really notice her quitting when she put her release in last time?
 

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
E.R. Campbell said:
Peter MacKay leaves with a mixed record ... some of his ministerial judgements have led many Conservatives to question his fitness to lead, but he will always be acknowledged as a leader with vision and foresight for his decision to join Stephen Harper in "uniting the right."

He was never popular with the hard right wing of the CPC, especially those with deep roots in the Reform Party, many of whom felt (still feel) that the old Progressive Conservatives were 99% wishy-washy pinko progressive and only 1% true blue conservative. But he did lead almost the whole PC 'family' into the CPC, including e.g. Scott Brison who later crossed the floor to become a Liberal, and that made him a power within the CPC and guaranteed that Prime Minister Harper would always give him a senior cabinet post.

But how much of the questionable ministerial decisions were really of his own making, and how many did he play the scapegoat on? Harper's history of micromanagement and keeping a tight rein of his caucus seems to point more of the latter than the former. Nothing ever gets done without Harper's approval. As long as you are willing to wear bus tracks on your back if things go wrong, it's your ball.

I think MacKay's potential in Canadian politics was stunted with the deal to bring the PC's into the Reform fold and create the CPC. Harper definitely owed his own success to MacKay, and repaid him with prominent positions within cabinet, but I suspect there was also an air of suspicion a la Caesar vs Brutus that coloured the relationship between Harper and MacKay.
 

opcougar

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
dapaterson said:
Jim Prentice.

John Baird.

Peter MacKay.

Seems as if potential future leaders are leaving before the next election.  I'd love to be reading the Tories' internal polling... are they afraid of sharing space with Elsie Wayne?

If any of them waited until after the next election to resign then they have to wait until the age of 65 to collect their big fat government pension. If they retire now the can collect it at age 55.

Cartoons Galore

j5lqbez2.jpg

“The world's most influential diplomat and Ottawa's most eligible bachelor seem to be hitting it off. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay enjoyed a chummy – and unusual – visit to MacKay’s Nova Scotia riding yesterday.” (9/15/2006)

jbkexwz2-0.jpg

“We’re here to look at all the good work that’s being done,” he told reporters gathered on the tarmac at this international military base in southern Afghanistan, amid brisk winds and wintry temperatures. “I think there has been a lot of progress made in five years.” (1/9/2007)

jpctpyz2.jpg

“Prime Minister Stephen Harper was forced to defend his chief of defence staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, after a televised report suggested the Conservative government was dissatisfied with the charismatic general and wants to replace him.” (10/4/2007)

See more
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/29/8-editorial-cartoons-featuring-peter-mackay.html
 

JS2218

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Crantor said:
More at link.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peter-mackay-justice-minister-to-leave-federal-politics-1.3092480

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/justice-minister-peter-mackay-won-t-seek-re-election-1.2396996

Interesting...

Very sad to see him leave. He was an outstanding Defence Minister, Justice Minister, family man, and one of the two men who should be credited for uniting the right and taking down the corrupt Liberals in 2006.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top