• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peter Jackson documentary on WW1: They shall not grow old

NavyShooter said:
I heard a snippet about the troops in the ditch when they did some text recovery on history channel a few years ago - if I recall, that's the video of the 'sunken lane' and the Lancashire Fusiliers?  The person doing the translation noted that there were two separate groups of troops - one of them being the LF's, the other being a trench-mortar group, and the TM troops were the ones joking about - the LF's were, obviously, somewhat more grim.

OK, found video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sb7urnjEaE

And here, starting at about minute 13 is the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSVF32QJeVo

And at minute 40:45 the lady does lip on the troops and what they're saying.

NS

Navy Shooter, thanks for the youtube link to the Filming of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel and the Somme.  I had never seen it before and really enjoyed the investigative aspects of the documentary. Very good use of the forensic lip reader to bring the words to life.  I enjoyed that in the Peter Jackson film as well.  Cheers.

Aerobicrunner said:
Navy Shooter, thanks for the youtube link to the Filming of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel and the Somme.  I had never seen it before and really enjoyed the investigative aspects of the documentary. Very good use of the forensic lip reader to bring the words to life.  I enjoyed that in the Peter Jackson film as well.  Cheers.

I was doing some research into Beaumont Hamel as there is family blood left behind there......

Excerpt of a letter written home on 20 May 1916 by Lance Corporal Norman Wheatley Strong #1522 Little Bay Islands, Twillingate,.........

"I might as well begin by wishing you many happy returns on your birthday. I don't know where I'll be spending my birthday this year. I guess t'will be in the trenches..."

He died a little over a month later on that "Day"......1 July 1916.....they never found his body..........

To put the numbers in perspective, the modern day equivalent would be an attack where 110,000 Canadian soldiers were killed or wounded in half an hour....a slaughter of almost unimaginable magnitude for a tiny Dominion of 250,000 people.

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:
I was doing some research into Beaumont Hamel as there is family blood left behind there......

To put the numbers in perspective, the modern day equivalent would be an attack where 110,000 Canadian soldiers were killed or wounded in half an hour....a slaughter of almost unimaginable magnitude for a tiny Dominion of 250,000 people.

Cheers
Larry

Here is a link to his service files.
https://www.therooms.ca/sites/default/files/strong_norman_wheatley_1522_0.pdf
Another to his whereabouts during the war.
https://www.therooms.ca/sites/default/files/strong_norman_wheatley_1522.pdf

Finally saw the movie, fantastic and moving all at the same time.

There are hundreds of hours of documentary footage out there, so expect to see other aspects of the war eventually covered not that this technology has been perfected. There are plenty of hints of what is available just in Jackson's thirty minute documentary after the credits.

As an aside, not one person left my theater after the credits, the documentary alone was well worth the ticket price.

Thucydides said:
As an aside, not one person left my theater after the credits, the documentary alone was well worth the ticket price.
I saw it twice.  Same both times.  And both times, the cinemas were to capacity. And it's the first time in many years that I saw people applauding after the film ended.

The movie with documentary has been released in the UK in Blue-Ray and DVD format. Region 1, (North America)is pending.

https://www.amazon.com/They-Shall-Not-Grow-Old/dp/B07KK42BTV

From the reviews it appears the Blue-Ray is Region "free".

Rifleman62 said:
The movie with documentary has been released in the UK in Blue-Ray and DVD format. Region 1, (North America)is pending.

https://www.amazon.com/They-Shall-Not-Grow-Old/dp/B07KK42BTV

From the reviews it appears the Blue-Ray is Region "free".

I picked up a number of movies, TV series and documentaries at an HMV in London years ago. All of the Blu-rays were region free, unlike the DVDs. Apparently many Blu-rays are released without region coding.

They Shall Not Grow Old has received a new release date

US  and Canada:

DVD : May 7, 2019
Blu-ray : May 7, 2019
VOD : May 7, 2019

Saw it for the first time last night. Reminded me of my grand-father. He lived a long life, and I got to know him pretty well. My father had his dog tags. Now I have them. I'll pass them to my son, when the time comes.

Grandpa was in No. 1 Construction Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force ( C.E.F ). Joined at Sudbury, Ontario 27 July, 1916. The unit embarked from Halifax on the S.S. Northland on 12 Sept., 1916.

Wounded at Passchendaele. That was the end of the war for him. Not totally disabled, he worked until age 65 for the CNR. But, he received a lifetime pension from Veteran's Affairs. Some years ago I received a copy of his service record. The wound was more severe than I was aware of.

All in all, I think they were a pretty tough generation.

It`s currently running on Netflix. Excellent documentary.

:cheers:

FJAG said:

I noticed that, its missing the making of the move though that was shown in the theaters.

FJAG said:

It is?  I'll have to watch it again.

mariomike said:
Saw it for the first time last night. Reminded me of my grand-father. He lived a long life, and I got to know him pretty well. My father had his dog tags. Now I have them. I'll pass them to my son, when the time comes.

Grandpa was in No. 1 Construction Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force ( C.E.F ). Joined at Sudbury, Ontario 27 July, 1916. The unit embarked from Halifax on the S.S. Northland on 12 Sept., 1916.

Wounded at Passchendaele. That was the end of the war for him. Not totally disabled, he worked until age 65 for the CNR. But, he received a lifetime pension from Veteran's Affairs. Some years ago I received a copy of his service record. The wound was more severe than I was aware of.

All in all, I think they were a pretty tough generation.

Straight up truth right there.

Back