• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

Approx. three hours from your place in Kingston.

Arnprior to Camp Petawawa can range anywhere from 1.5 hours or longer, depending on Traffic and weather.  If you push the speed you can make it in less, but be warned the Renfrew OPP usually have Quota's to fill.  ;D

Arnprior is an hour and change drive from the base. I know of a couple people who live on the far side of Pembroke (Cobden and Renfrew areas) who drive in. There are also a couple guys who live in Ottawa and have rooms in the shacks (which they pay for).

Whooo!   Hooo!

Now that I am unlikely to ever go there again.........seems to be a trend in my military career........Leave Gagetown and Fredericton has some large scale development go in and a new highway. .........Leave Pet and the businesses start moving in along with all those other neat amenities.......

George Wallace said:
Whooo!  Hooo!

Now that I am unlikely to ever go there again.........seems to be a trend in my military career........Leave Gagetown and Fredericton has some large scale development go in and a new highway. .........Leave Pet and the businesses start moving in along with all those other neat amenities.......

Geroge, how long have you been out of Pet? From what I can see....I see a mass exodus from Pet. It may be that the current business owners are just getting to that age...but there are many busniesses listed for sale, and many more that are for sale, but not "on the system".  New businesses?? Other than KFC and Kelsey's....hardley offset the ones that are closing/leaving or have already left.

I may be looking at it on a much too narrow basis, but....hey, I could be wrong.

Quagmire said:
I think one of the members brothers on this board is going over.

If there is, good luck to them.

xrme said:
From what I can see....I see a mass exodus from Pet. It may be that the current business owners are just getting to that age...but there are many businesses listed for sale, and many more that are for sale, but not "on the system".  New businesses?? Other than KFC and Kelsey's....hardley offset the ones that are closing/leaving or have already left.

I may be looking at it on a much too narrow basis, but....hey, I could be wrong.
That may be, but with bigger and better shopping options in Pembroke and along Petawawa Blvd, I believe that it is not simply a Petawawa problem as Pembroke's main drag is consistently losing businesses as well. I also think it may have something to do with grossly overpriced property values here in Pet as well.

Read this a few days ago but i guess it has some relevance to the way this discussion has swerved,

Commander to address community: Lt.-Col. wants to discuss growth at CFB Petawawa
Anthony Dixon
Local News - Friday, May 12, 2006 @ 19:00

CFB PETAWAWA - The commanding officer of CFB Petawawa wants to have a word with the region's business community.
Lt.-Col. Dave Rundle has extended written and verbal invitations to members of the local business community to attend a business lunch next Tuesday, where he will speak about anticipated growth at Base Petawawa, upcoming operations and the resulting economic impact.
The business lunch is slated for May 16 at the Normandy Officers' Mess.
In a phone interview this week, Lt.-Col. Rundle said he did not want to reveal the exact details of what he will say previous to his briefing on Tuesday. However, he did say that one of the biggest impacts anticipated is the deployment of approximately 1,500 troops from CFB Petawawa this August to Afghanistan.

Lt.-Col. Rundle said that will be followed by a second, though smaller, deployment of Petawawa troops in February 2007.
"The future operations troops are involved in always impacts on local businesses, so this will allow business leaders to do some future planning," Lt.-Col. Rundle said.
Another topic he will discuss is the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment being formed at the base.

The unit is expected to reach its 'initial operating capability' by the fall but won't reach full capacity for a few years.
The Canadian Forces is also placing a renewed emphasis on recruiting.
With some units at the base currently not at full strength, Lt.-Col. Rundle anticipates about 1,500 new troops coming to Petawawa within the next five years, depending on the success of recruiting efforts.

Lt.-Col. Rundle said the 2 Area Support Group headquarters, currently based in Toronto, will also be moving to Base Petawawa, bringing with it an additional 40 personnel.
"Given all the growth taking place, moving here will provide better visibility to oversee and influence decision support," Lt.-Col. Rundle said.
During this address to business leaders, Lt.-Col. Rundle will also be talking about anticipated changes to the command team at the base this summer.

In the interview, Rundle would only say that a number of new commanding officers are being posted in.
He will also provide an update on the project to clear unexploded ordnance from the shores of the Ottawa River.
Advanced registration for the business luncheon is required.

On the day of the event, welcoming takes place at 11:45 a.m., lunch at 12:15 p.m. and Lt.-Col. Rundle's address at 1 p.m.
On June 1, Lt.-Col. Rundle will host a town hall meeting for both the military and civilian population of CFB Petawawa at the base theatre beginning at 6:30 p.m.

"This will give members (of the Canadian Forces) and family members, folks in general, an opportunity to articulate any concerns or issues that they may have regarding the services provided to the base community," he said.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=40042&catname=Local+News

Army....

Armymedic said:
That may be, but with bigger and better shopping options in Pembroke and along Petawawa Blvd, I believe that it is not simply a Petawawa problem as Pembroke's main drag is consistently losing businesses as well. I also think it may have something to do with grossly overpriced property values here in Pet as well.

Granted, Pembroke has the upper hand when it comes to retail stores and shopping. And I do agree 100%...the downtown core of Pembroke is fading fast. However, when you make reference to better and bigger shopping options along Petawawa Blvd, you lose me. Apart from Kelsey's and KFC...I think one would be hard pressed to find anything new of grand importance between the main gates of CFB Petawawa and Drive-In Road....Canadian Tire has a nice new store, so does HomeHardware...there's WalMart, and now HomeDepot, a new Shoppers DrugMart just opened...but apart from that....??? ...in Petawawa, our GM dealer is gone, as is our Ford dealer...Petawawa Toyota moved down the street into Pembroke...a dozen or more business listings for sale..... As for Costco coming to the area....I wouldn't bet on it...I've been told that Costco requires a "draw" of 3.2 million consumers...Pembroke could only come up with 2 million.

I am even further lost when you mention the grossly overpriced property values here in Pet. With the national average preoperty value increasing 12% last year (Mar`05-Mar-06), and Ontario averaging an increase of over 8%, and Petawawa averaging an increase of about 10%, I'd say the prices in Petawawa, given the economic growth in the area (including but not limited to the increase in numbers announced for CFB Petawawa) is right in line with the rest of the country. Low interest rates have contibuted to the increase in people buying houses in the area, along with the increase in available funds for a downpayment (thanks in large part to the generous benefits attributed to an overseas deployment) Put all that together with the basic pay increases from a few years ago...more and more CF members can afford a house. Supply and demand...the more demand for a commodity, while the supply stays steady or advances slower than the demand, the higher the price that can be achieved....speaking of which.....what do you pay at the pump now?

Bruce...I'm looking forward to going...already got my invitation at the office. Should be an informative luncheon. I wonder if, going back to the original topic of this thread, if he will talk about the future of the Tim Hortons on base?

xrme said:
Geroge, how long have you been out of Pet? From what I can see....I see a mass exodus from Pet. It may be that the current business owners are just getting to that age...but there are many busniesses listed for sale, and many more that are for sale, but not "on the system".  New businesses?? Other than KFC and Kelsey's....hardley offset the ones that are closing/leaving or have already left.

Now that we are way off topic...I wonder where you have been.

New Strip Mall behind the New KFC in the same parking lot as the New Moncion Grocery and Drug Store.  New things like Kelsey's.  Just before that a relatively new McDonald's (just 10 years old).  Across from the 'new' McDonald's another Strip mall with a Pharma Plus, Magic Cuts, and video store.  New Car Dealer moved into Michael Motors location and hopefully better service.  How about Crazylogic?  Subway.  Yogi's.  The Warehouse.  Petawawa Inn.  New TD Bank.  Lots of new things in Pet.......were you around when there was only the Legion off Base, everything else was in Pembroke......Tim Horton's in Pet is probably one of the busiest in Canada since it opened less than ten years ago.......the one on Base has the fastest service in Canada.......forget service in the Timmies in CFB Kingston.....15 minutes to serve three is ridiculous...........

I do not see the change of businesses the same way as you, xrme. A few less car dealerships in Petawawa proper, great. I see alot of new business with greater variety now then we had 10 yrs ago. In fact now, one does not have to drive to Pembroke to get to a decent grocery, drug, or knick-knack store.

As for the housing prices, that was a lob ball to your area of expertise...nice homer.  ;)

Seeing as now the topic is now on Petawawa properties....

I know of at least 3 houses (2 bedroom "shacks") that were bought 5 years ago for approx $85 k and have just sold for $160 - $175k.

Very modest work was done to the houses and the properties are very small.

A wee bit more than the 10%.

I have a relative in the area who is posted and is selling his house, bought approx $115 (4years ago)....sold it for $169k

I was posted to Pet around the same time and was amazed at the outrageous prices here compared to NB where 4 acres and a 3 bedroom home under 20yrs old was going for approx $105 - $115k....in Pet they were asking for $180k and 1/2 acre.

The market in Pet and the surrounding area is artificially inflated...period. Everyone knows it but are stuck with it.

I'm not going to buy a house until I get posted out.....it's worth the wait in my case anyway.

Regards

I just got posted to Petawawa also.  My experience with the base is limited to my QL3 Infantry (in '93) and my CLC (in '98).  Don't know much more about life off and around the base.  My life was on the Mattawa Plains back when we lived in tent city, and the leadership building.  All I needed to know how to do was get to the mess.
I found out that the prices in Petawawa have become RIDICULOUS. (Oh haven't you heard XX Unit is moving to Pet, raise the prices!)
I bought a house in Beachburg.  It's 30 minutes to work in the summer, 5 minutes to the Ottawa River put-in (if you're into WW Kayaking) and an hour to Ottawa.  The town is very small and friendly, and I paid a very reasonable price.
Looking forward to givin' er again!

I have been attending University in North Bay for the last 3 years now. I can tell you that since I moved to Petawawa back in 1999, Petawawa has grown in terms of houses and some stores in town. Everytime I come home for the summer, there is something new.

In the paper last week, the town approved the plan for the first phase of 300(?) houses between Petawawa Blvd and Laurentian, by the Beerstore. I can see Petawawa mainly staying a bedroom community with all the stores on the east side of Pembroke, because that is what happens when a Wal-mart moves into an area, all the business develops around it.

I was thinking maybe a post-secondary institution would help bring things to this side of Pembroke (ie something the size of Algonquin College in Pembroke).

George Wallace said:
Now that we are way off topic...I wonder where you have been.

George, obviously my interpretation of what is new differs from yours. I will PM you with my thoughts.

Armymedic said:
I do not see the change of businesses the same way as you, xrme. A few less car dealerships in Petawawa proper, great. I see alot of new business with greater variety now then we had 10 yrs ago. In fact now, one does not have to drive to Pembroke to get to a decent grocery, drug, or knick-knack store.

As for the housing prices, that was a lob ball to your area of expertise...nice homer.  ;)

Same thing, opinions are like hemeroids, sooner or later, every arse has one, and no body likes em. A few less car dealers? How about we lose some fast food places instead!?  :p  I can't speak for 10 years ago, only 8. Same grocer, renamed, and relocated. Same PharmaPlus, new location...knickknacks...that's what we need. Not a competitor grocer. Not a hardware store...more knickknacks and fast food spots. As for the hanging fast-ball...thanks. But, I do feel I know you.... ::)

Recce By Death said:
I know of at least 3 houses (2 bedroom "shacks") that were bought 5 years ago for approx $85 k and have just sold for $160 - $175k.
Very modest work was done to the houses and the properties are very small.
A wee bit more than the 10%.
I have a relative in the area who is posted and is selling his house, bought approx $115 (4years ago)....sold it for $169k
I was posted to Pet around the same time and was amazed at the outrageous prices here compared to NB where 4 acres and a 3 bedroom home under 20yrs old was going for approx $105 - $115k....in Pet they were asking for $180k and 1/2 acre.
The market in Pet and the surrounding area is artificially inflated...period. Everyone knows it but are stuck with it.
I'm not going to buy a house until I get posted out.....it's worth the wait in my case anyway.

.Average. Grab a dictionary RbD, and look up the word. Then look up the average increase in, say Edmonton...almost 17%...then look at Victoria...almost 30%.
..How can you compare a house in NB to a house in Pet? I can find you a 3 bedroom house on 4 acres in Ontario, for $110K...probably not right in Petawawa.
...And "artificially inflated"?? What's artificial about it? It is the market.

shadow said:
I bought a house in Beachburg.  It's 30 minutes to work in the summer, 5 minutes to the Ottawa River put-in (if you're into WW Kayaking) and an hour to Ottawa.  The town is very small and friendly, and I paid a very reasonable price.

Beachburg is a nice place. For myself, that's alot of driving. An hour a day, in the summer. Obviously more in the winter. Again, for myself, alot of driving, and at a $1 a litre...for my average vehicle, about $8 a day, $40 a week (5 day week), $200 a month...again, Beachburg is a nice place... so is Deep River...and they have a Timmies!! :p

Most days in the summer (i.e. days that are not raining) the motorcycle from Beachburg makes things a LOT cheaper.  The drive gives me about 30 minutes in the morning to wake up and plan my day, and 30 minutes in the afternoon to decompress from a day of running around at 2 Svc Bn!  I am also looking for people to carpool with, but there aren't a lot of military here.  Other than that, I love it here so far.

Something I noticed:
The town sign for Pembroke says "population 13,500"
The town sign for Petawawa says "Population 15,500

The only reason I can think that Pet's pop is higher than Pembroke's is because of all the military.  It must be because of all the people that live on the base (i.e. in single quarters)?  Anyone know of another reason?  And if Pet has a higher population, then why don't we have a new Home Depot?!?

Spent 19 yrs in Pet and now going back. The family loved it. Kids enjoyed it better than Gage.

xrme said:
Average. Grab a dictionary RbD, and look up the word. Then look up the average increase in, say Edmonton...almost 17%...then look at Victoria...almost 30%.
..How can you compare a house in NB to a house in Pet? I can find you a 3 bedroom house on 4 acres in Ontario, for $110K...probably not right in Petawawa.
...And "artificially inflated"?? What's artificial about it? It is the market.

How can I compare a shack in NB to one in Ontario that is more run down and they're asking more? Easy enough.

Any houses in the Pembroke / Petawawa area are much higher than outside the area due to the base and other major industries in the local area. Everyone that works on base wants a house near it, within reason. The sellers know it and the prices are jacked up accordingly.

It's a solid market with solid retail....posting season is great for sellers, not so great for buyers. Everyone in the area knows that. Averages in this area compared to outside are way higher than the rest.

Remember when there were rumours abound about the base being relocated? Everyone was damn near crapping in their pants...because they knew they were about to lose any resale value in their homes.

Who would buy a house in a dead town?

As for your quip remarks about grabing a dictionary.....save it.

Okay, point by point, I'll go slow, so I don't lose you.... ;)
Recce By Death said:
How can I compare a shack in NB to one in Ontario that is more run down and they're asking more? Easy enough.

Your original post was: I was posted to Pet around the same time and was amazed at the outrageous prices here compared to NB ...my point was Petawawa is a town, NewBrunswick is a province...hardly a comparison. Two totally different markets.

Recce By Death said:
Any houses in the Pembroke / Petawawa area are much higher than outside the area due to the base and other major industries in the local area. Everyone that works on base wants a house near it, within reason. The sellers know it and the prices are jacked up accordingly.
It's a solid market with solid retail....posting season is great for sellers, not so great for buyers. Everyone in the area knows that.

Is this your interpretation of "artificially inflated?

Recce By Death said:
Averages in this area compared to outside are way higher than the rest.

Actually, they're not. I thought I demonstrated that already. The national average is right about 12% Petawawa, about 10%...slightly less than the national average. <on> So you know a guy that was married to a gal, whose brother's nephew's cousin's uncle's daughter in law's husband sold a house for a wee bit more than 10% increase after cleaning the eavestroughs....wow! For that very sale, I'll bet my next pension cheque that there was one that sold for a wee bit less than 10%, thereby averaging the increase in this area to about 10%! <sarcasm mode off> My point was that on average, the increase in property value in Petawawa is less than the national average. Some properties in Petawawa will sell for more than the average, some will sell for less than the average.

Shadow...good points. Still too long on the road for this guy.  :)

I compared the drive  to my trip to work in Ottawa.
Anyone living in Kanata can expect a 45 + minute ride to work via car OR bus.
:)  It doesn't feel so bad when I look at it that way... just the gas thing.  Maybe I should buy a holding tank and pump and store my own gas.
I sound all optimistic now, but I haven't enjoyed a winter drive into work yet.  I am thinking I will keep a crash-bag in my car just in case.  I foresee myself spending some weeknights with friends on the base ;-)

A few years ago, I had a friend that lived in Beachburg, in the old house right beside the tracks on the east end of town...vistied him quite often. Very nice town, very friendly, as you have mentioned. He drove a Ford Aerostar. Mind you, this was 7 years ago...he said the gas and extra maint was almost the difference in mortgage payments between here and there...again, 7 years ago....today....the median price of the 12 houses that sold this year in Beachburg is $103000...with a low of less than $60K and a high of more than $260K. The prices of the 167 houses that have sold in Petawawa this year range from less than $50K to slightly more than $315K , with a median of $177500. A difference of $74500. A monthly mortgage payment difference of $497. Save the motorcycle....this is almost the cost of additional maintenance and fuel to feed an average mid sized sedan from Beachburg to Petawawa 5 days a week. Again, very nice town..quiet and friendly, and very dependant on the type of person living there. The house you did buy...how long was it for sale before you bought it?

It was on the market for 7 days when I looked at it.  14 days by the time our negotiations were finished.  I really lucked out, the house has been completely remodeled inside - it's like living in a brand new house, with huge property and in a really friendly town.  Being posted to Pet I imagine I will be driving in, then going on ex for weeks at a time, so I don't anticipate the gas being too much of an issue.
I guess the difference between mortgage payments and car maintenance/gas also depends on what the bank says you can afford!
Gas/maintenance aren't fixed costs in the eyes of the bank, so it's easier to spend it on vehicle as needed than get approved for a mortgage for that amount. 
I'm going to grow to love that motorcycle though.  Might even have to switch from a sport-bike to a cruiser!
Cheers!
Shadow

Back