• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pet Unpeeves

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
We all have our pet peeves.  Not knowing the antonym for "peeve", I'm calling the opposite of peeves, in a great Russian tradition, "unpeeves".
A few of mine:

• Prime Ministers who bring their families to National Events and sing not only O Canada, but also the Royal Anthem: God Save the Queen.
  • Prime Ministers who stay with the Silver Cross Mother after she collapses, expressing genuine concern while letting others comfort her and/or care for her.
  • People of all stripes who brave the elements and show respect for those who gave all.
  • Commentators from certain national non-governmental run Media who refrain from "commentating" during live broadcasts of National Events.
  • Commentators from certain national non-governmental run Media who interrupt their "commentating" during live broadcasts of National Events when Silver Cross Mothers collapse during said National Events.
  • My daughter for using 'trickery' to get me to go to a certain Remembrance Day event where her class was putting on a recital of "In Flanders' Fields", so that she could surprise me (We were going to go to town "x", but she asked if we could go to town "y" because friends of hers from school would be there)
  • My Friend who rescued me from my annual "green tie search" that was both frustrating and fruitless
  • Warm Beds
  • People who will leave behind their families and personal safety in order to whatever is necessary to make our world a better place.  This includes soldiers, sailors, airmen, airwomen, police, firefighters, missionaries and many many others.
  • Certain "contraversial" commentators from a certain government funded network that broadcasts weekly games from our national sport who devotes his weekly 3 minutes of fame to recall those who not only served, but are serving today
In the words of Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

OK, so I lied.  One more to add:
Canadians who spontaneously flock to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and cover it with their poppies.

Dissident said:
-People who cheer marching troops.

We can't all be Heroes
Somebody has to sit on the curb
and applaud as they go by.

Will Rogers (Date unknown)

Drummy

People who thank me for my choice of joining the military.
People who thank me for my grandfather who faught in WW2.
People who sing O Canada at the top of their lungs.
People who respect our vets.
People who want to wear a poppy year round.
People who know that we are not in A-Stan for its oil.

Compassion - I've always remembered the couple in Toronto who were putting a blanket on a homeless girl and giving her warm coffee or hot chocolate during the onset of winter. We have lost something to leave so many behind.

People who respect the military and what it does

A 103 yr old Silver Cross Mother who has attended every Remembrance day service in Bonneyville AB for the last 60 years.
:salute:

- Young children who recognize elderly veterans.
- People who speak in respect to the dead. ( no foul talking )
- Identifying the need for finesse, it may be the proper venue for appeal.
- Patronage. Even if it's purpose is that of a lost or impossible cause.
- 96' big body Cadillacs

- People who respect other peoples beliefs, wether they agree with them or not

- People who listen to other peoples views without prejudice

- People who help other people in their time of need

- People who volunteer their time for kids

- People who give respect, even when it is not due

-Journalists who actually spend time with the troops then write a very pro-military column depicting the sacrifice and dedication it takes to become a soldier and be a member of the Canadian {Armed} Forces.  :salute:
-Seeing flags around town on people's houses and businessses at half mast this week.  :cdnsalute:

-Coming across a gentleman. A man that still opens doors for you, treats you with respect and doesnt talk to you like he does his buddies.
- seeing a teenager help an elderly person or pregnant woman with something.
- some who actually pulls over to help a broke down car with out of province plates.
- anyone who takes a second to consider other peoples feelings, instead of their own.
- people who still believe that hard work and honesty will get you somewhere.

People who change thier attitude and dimeanor when see a mother out at a restaurant with her children and then overhear the family's conversation about Daddy being in Afghanistan.

When the restaurant bill gets paid or dissapears and reappears as an extra glass of wine.

My kids for being so well behaved when eating at a restaurant because Mommy "just didn't feel like doing more dishes tonight."

Friends who help my hubby buy Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and "Just Because I Love You" gifts while he is away and do it annonymously. (I will figure it out eventually)

People who serve their country and think nothing of the sacrifices they make, saying "I'm just doing my job, ma'am."

Hearing "I learned it from the BEST MOM EVER!" as my kid rides his bike for the first time without training wheels.

-- Honesty, compassion, random acts of kindness
-- Positive people (they are often the ones in the midst of adversity as opposed to their negative counterparts)
-- People who support our troops whether they understand our mission in Afganistan or not
-- All our Veterans, the ones that are still with us and the departed
-- The courageous members of the Canadian Forces here and abroad as well as their families and all who support them
-- This amazing country of ours

Ok,

You guys are inspiring me over here, especially CSA your post about the children. Reflecting to some moments of my own :)

That first bumper car ride, you take your child on at the fair. You're both strapped in, and waiting for the ride to start. She sits, cuddled close into my arm and her exciting laughter... makes me laugh just as loud. You are wrapped up in that moment feeling just as young at heart. Those are definately moments, that you will remember forever. Very happy times.

~Rebecca

The look on his face the first time your son lands a fish "all on his own".    The pride in his Mom's eyes when he brings it back to the campsite, cleans it ("all on his own"), and fries it up ("all on his own") for her breakfast.  Priceless.

The first time one of your sons builds you something without your help.  Using all the tools PROPERLY, and SAFELY, just like you taught him.  I've still got (and use) some pretty crooked tool totes, and wobbly stools that I wouldn't trade anyone for a million dollars.

Gawd I'm looking forward to Grandfatherhood (SOME day - no rush).

Roy

As a Young Man so far.

- The Pride In my Father and Grandfaths Eyes when I graduated BMQ/SQ Last Summer
- The Satisfaction that Comes from Helping someone out who truly needs that extra hand
- The simple joy of waking up each day and being able to coninue my service to my country
- Having a Supportive Family

In no particular order:

-Walking my daughter down the aisle on her wedding day.
-Watching my only son graduate from BMQ and SQ.
-Hearing the crack of the round by your head and realizing the ******* missed.
-The sound of a cold beer opening on a really hot day.
-Standing on a mountaintop, on my 20th anniversary, with my wife, gazing out at a big piece of Canada.
-First parachute descent.
-A quarter mile in 11 seconds.
-Having an immigrant family stop me on the street to say "Thank you Mister Soldier."

Back