• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pervasive Weaponized Misinformation

beirnini

Inactive
Reaction score
Since I've been blocked from the thread that inspired this topic (for admittedly boorish behaviour, mea culpa) a new thread will have to do.

But first, an apology to everyone for being a dick. This is a forum that tries to inform if not educate, and I clearly let everyone down. I'm sorry.

However, in my perhaps meager defense we really should acknowledge that we are now fully in an era of pervasive weaponized misinformation, and that it really does not matter who believes who is wielding it. These are not the flame wars that arose during the Bush administrations: Whatever the utility to democracy those oftentimes heated exchanges had each side could be reasonably certain that the opinions expressed or derived from were those of a fellow citizen, or of a close ally. That reasonable certainty is gone, so the farther we refer from primary sources the greater the chance we are to literally picking up our enemies weapon and using it against our fellow countrymen and women.

This does not excuse my tone and delivery in the aforementioned thread, but I hope it goes some way to explaining my intent.

beirnini said:
Since I've been blocked from the thread that inspired this topic (for admittedly boorish behaviour, mea culpa) a new thread will have to do.

But first, an apology to everyone for being a dick. This is a forum that tries to inform if not educate, and I clearly let everyone down. I'm sorry.

However, in my perhaps meager defense we really should acknowledge that we are now fully in an era of pervasive weaponized misinformation, and that it really does not matter who believes who is wielding it. These are not the flame wars that arose during the Bush administrations: Whatever the utility to democracy those oftentimes heated exchanges had each side could be reasonably certain that the opinions expressed or derived from were those of a fellow citizen, or of a close ally. That reasonable certainty is gone, so the farther we refer from primary sources the greater the chance we are to literally picking up our enemies weapon and using it against our fellow countrymen and women.

This does not excuse my tone and delivery in the aforementioned thread, but I hope it goes some way to explaining my intent.

Which thread are you apparently blocked from? I'm curious and would like to review as DS does not block and/or ban users from a specific thread. Ever. If action is needed, a user will be banned from posting altogether, yet can still view the site, or a full ban will be applied which prevents a user from accessing the site in full. I assure you, you have not been blocked from accessing a specific thread.

The thread about Mueller flipping the third Trump aide. I tried to take a look and give my apology but I got an error screen.

*Edit: Weird, now it's fine. If it's preferred this thread can be merged with the Mueller one.

What is "pervasive weaponized misinformation" - that sounds like gooblygook.

http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

Back