• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Personal addons to the standard issued tac vest.

Schafer

Inactive
Reaction score
So I don't have the budget to go out and buy a tac vest and mod it like I want it. But I do have the budget to get some addons for my issued tac vest. I had in mind in getting the "wimp" and the 3L hydration harness. Does anyone on here have these items ? If you do what are some pro's and con's about them?

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=627  <-Hydration harness

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=162  <- "Wimp"

I have a WIMP on either side, but obviously the two mags on the right side are not in the greatest location. I have used the one on the left side on the range and it worked fairly well.

I have the regular CP Gear Camelbak carrier zapstrapped onto the back of my vest. The Camelbak will slip into/out of fairly easily to transfer between vest and ruck. The harness is new and I haven't seen it, so I cannot comment.

I've also added a lobster trap dump pouch, zapstrapped onto the D-rings on the forward left side of the vest, and one of the MOLLE panels with an IFAK on the left.

Thanks for replying Loachman, May I ask since you have the camelbak do you feel the need to still have your canteen attached ?

I have a C9 pouch on the right hand side, so I can put a 2 qt water bottle with drinking straw in that if I wish. I am not likely to need both simultaneously, but it gives me flexibility.

I have the 3L camelback like the one your interested in and it works great.

I did my 13km ruck march BFT with my ruck over top of the 3L camelback and it still worked great. It allows drinking on the fly while doing section attacks and stuff, works really great and my hasn't broken yet and its been through some rough times in the field ^_^

I usually keep my issued canteen with me as backup.

The inspiration for my set-up regarding the Camelbak came from Phil B. I have not tried my rucksack over the Camelbak, but I cannot imagine that it is as comfortable and the pressure will put the bladder at risk of rupturing eventually.

This could, I suppose, vary with the rucksack and how it is set up.. I have a C2 (now known for some reason as a 64 Pattern) frame with various aftermarket straps and pads.

I just picked up a TAG dump pouch and have it mounted on my left hand side. I havn't used it yet under field conditions, but I have a feeling it will come in handy.

Wonderbread said:
I just picked up a TAG dump pouch and have it mounted on my left hand side. I havn't used it yet under field conditions, but I have a feeling it will come in handy.

I used a TAG dump pouch on my Chest Rig overseas, and it did come in handy... a lot... 

But, a platoon mate swiped it when I got pulled out.  When I got my gear back, I found an "I.O.U." note in my Rig.

I have since replaced it (the guy who snagged the old one left the forces), and have it hanging from the D-rings on my TV. 

I haven't used it in the field (trg) on my TV yet, but judging by how useful it was overseas, I'm sure it'll be just as useful here.

Anyone have a Berry pouch or MOLLE panel?  Also, has anyone tried putting a berry pouch or MOLLE panel over the WIMP?
Or stack a few of them with the issued pouch? eg. Berry pouch, WIMP and C9 pouch on same panel...  Would probably be bulky, but I figure if I thought of it, someone else may have tried it already. 

Either way, I wouldn't mind getting some ideas and examples of how others have improved their TVs...  My only method for improvement was replacement with COTs rigs, but no can do in the PRes world. 

Yes, but after reading my first post I realize that I wasn't very clear. I have a WIMP, with a MOLLE panel over it, and an IFAK on top of that on the left hand side. I haven't really had an opportunity to try it out properly in that configuration, but it seems to work.

I got the berry pouch with just the C9 pouch over it and i never have had a problem. Used it on ranges and a few exercises and it seemed very versatile. I took to just stuffing my spare mag in the berry pouch on top of the little notepad and pen i got in there. Also empty it fits two mags pretty well. Came in handy when moving on the fly. I think I definatley gotta invest in dump pouch however before i deploy this July. Several guys in my platoon have made the trek to CP Gear and buying a berry pouch after seeing mine and like it quite well.

No real issues with the side pouches being considerably bulkier but I imagine it would start to get a little bulky if you tossed a berry pouch onto a wimp then a C9 Pouch ontop of the the berry pouch.

For in Canada, I have a WIMP on the left side behind the c9 pouch, and on the right a Berry pouch, also behind the c9 pouch.

I have a feeling that a WIMP and a berry stacked to each other behind a c9 pouch would be a bit much, as if you had the velcro straps too tight, you wouldn't be able to wedge the mags into the wimp easily, and if you had it too loose...well, bad things happen when things are loose.

As far as overseas, I'm hoping to use my custom ICE tac vest

So overall the "wimp" would be a good investment ? then. As well on the topic of personal add ons does any one on here own a TAG Rifle Butt Pouch ? If you do whats your input and would you recommend it ?

I use the rifle butt pouch issued in theatre (dunno what brand, similar to the TAG), however I place it on my handguard facing towards me on the left side (I'm a right handed shot). I find it easier to extract the mag, especially if you don't use the full extension on your stock.

I use the rifle butt pouch issued in theatre (dunno what brand, similar to the TAG), however I place it on my handguard facing towards me on the left side (I'm a right handed shot). I find it easier to extract the mag, especially if you don't use the full extension on your stock.

As well, sometimes those rifle butt mag pouches interfere with the charging handle.  Inside KAF its no big deal - you're just doing it to make the Camp SM happy. Outside the wire though, I wouldn't use one.

dan005e said:
Several guys in my platoon have made the trek to CP Gear...

I wouldn't exactly call Gagetown to Fredericton a 'trek' per se... ;)

My rifle butt bouch thingy is still in its bag.. never used it..

I'm using a Berry pouch on the "admin" side of my Tac Vest, works great for my DAGR and aide memoires. I'm think of getting another one for the other side too, but I'm not sure how that's going to work with the 2 qt canteen I have in that C-9 pouch.

In addition to the Berry Pouch and the WIMP, we've got 3 new tac-vest 'add-ons' coming out shortly (2 of which will be online by Friday).  Stay tuned for more details.

Matt_Fisher said:
In addition to the Berry Pouch and the WIMP, we've got 3 new tac-vest 'add-ons' coming out shortly (2 of which will be online by Friday).  Stay tuned for more details.

Matt, can you give us a sneak peak ???

And darn you, caus I am probably going to end up buying at least 1 of them  ::) Just because my purchased rig is not UNIFORM  ::)

Back