• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2018-current

CountDC said:
a PERX which when merited for promotion does not count as high as a PER. 

It counts as a *0* effectively;  the other PERs are averaged. 

Sounds like a member who was grounded for X months with X months of sick leave and also with 5 months of 'fit flying';  didn't the unit gainfully employ the mbr after the extended grounding?  A new/modified initial PER should have been raised if there was significant changes to the mbr's critical tasks/expected outcomes...

I'm assuming the mbr wasn't on 7 months of sick leave (excused duties, at home, posted to IPSU, etc).

While we are on the topic of PERX.

My situation is a little odd, a year ago I came back from a deployment. Upon returning to my unit I was selected for an OUTCAN posting and was not given a function; literally was told to just take care of my admin. So from March to August that's what I did, volunteered for whatever I could. Once I got to my new posting I've been having accounts issues, due to the nature of my work I wasn't able to take any responsibilities or have any assigned to me. Now my CoC is pushing to write me a PER but been told ahead that it wasn't going to be a good one because I did so little this year. My last two PER (new in trade) were O/I but not enough at this time to push me within the promotion threshold but really close. Worth mentioning; already got a degree, language profile,  specializations etc.

From your experience/opinion do I have any recourse?

Edit: Forgot to mention, on top of the above, my CM doesn't have my Theater PER and the boards already sat. Someone somewhere really f***ed up. Again just seeking some wisdom. Love my job but couldn't care less about the CF anymore.

Have you been issued a PDR part 1 to detail what is expected of you in your current position. Have you been given any follow on PDRs to substantiate what they plan on giving for a bubble score. Do you have anything to substantiate what score you think you should have.

I'm pushing for a PERX, since I was never assigned any tasks although I have a pretty generic PDR PART 1. The opportunity to be evaluated in my field of work has not been available and due to the restrictions imposed by events outside of my CoC control (and out of my control as well) there were little to no other areas to be evaluated by.

That is one route to go if you can argue the observation period was insufficient.

The interesting aspect in this is not the reporting period, it's about the substance of what to report on. When a MWO tells you for the first 6 month of the year to just hang tight, do your personal admin and the rest of the years you don't have the accounts required to perform your function, in a foreign country. The CFPAS manual is not very clear for cases like this one. My perception is that the "intent" of the PERX applies here since an accurate and fair evaluation cannot be performed.

That's why, imo, it mentions the observation period. If it wasn't possible to observe you doing your expected job (accounts and such problem) then a PERX may be appropriate and worth looking into.

In regard to the missing Theater PER at the CM level, would a grievance be the best course of action? Board have already sat so it would need to be a supplementary board.

That said since the error is very obvious (PER didn't get transmitted) the solution should be simple; send a copy to CM and he/she should on their own accord convene a supplementary board.

Damien248 said:
In regard to the missing Theater PER at the CM level, would a grievance be the best course of action? Board have already sat so it would need to be a supplementary board.

That said since the error is very obvious (PER didn't get transmitted) the solution should be simple; send a copy to CM and he/she should on their own accord convene a supplementary board.

Instead of grieving it first have you even broached the topic?  If you have tried and are not getting any answers then yes grievance or at the very least NOI to Grieve would be appropriate.  Low level is always best.

Damien248 said:
The interesting aspect in this is not the reporting period, it's about the substance of what to report on. When a MWO tells you for the first 6 month of the year to just hang tight, do your personal admin and the rest of the years you don't have the accounts required to perform your function, in a foreign country. The CFPAS manual is not very clear for cases like this one. My perception is that the "intent" of the PERX applies here since an accurate and fair evaluation cannot be performed.

It may be the best route especially if you already have a tour PER in the FY as well as.  In essence your tour PER becomes your "score" for the boards for that year.  However that does not sound like you have a tour PER for this FY so three things to take into consideration based on the policy, your posts and profile:

1) a PERX keeps your score neutral in terms of board cut offs.  That can be good or bad but just keep in mind no PER means no increase in score relative to your peers/cohort when it comes to being seen at the board.

2) While you didn't work "in trade (or the job you are OUTCAN for)" there are many people that work out of trade and get PERs that count.  Further your profile says LS and at the end of the day it isn't hard to write a PER for a LS (or anyone really) that still meets the intent of giving the institution an idea if a person should be considered for the next rank.  One doesn't have to be doing in trade work to be appropriately assessed.  That goes both ways if your CoC is saying that then they are as wrong as your assumption that you need a PERX because of the not working in trade.

3) It isn't your choice to have a PERX or not but the CoC's in consultation with career folks.  While you might think it is the right choice and they should listen to your reasoning, at the end of the day it is their choice to move forward with issuing a PER or PDR as they see fit.

1) a PERX keeps your score neutral in terms of board cut offs.  That can be good or bad but just keep in mind no PER means no increase in score relative to your peers/cohort when it comes to being seen at the board.

The objective is not necessarily to get a better score but rather the integrity of an accurate evaluation or in this case the acknowledgement that the quantity of .

2) While you didn't work "in trade (or the job you are OUTCAN for)" there are many people that work out of trade and get PERs that count.  Further your profile says LS and at the end of the day it isn't hard to write a PER for a LS (or anyone really) that still meets the intent of giving the institution an idea if a person should be considered for the next rank.  One doesn't have to be doing in trade work to be appropriately assessed.  That goes both ways if your CoC is saying that then they are as wrong as your assumption that you need a PERX because of the not working in trade.

If I had the opportunity to work in an out-of-trade fashion I wouldn't be posting here, not to be snarky but when I say that I was told to just take care of my admin and on the second half not having the ability to do anything I am not exaggerating the end goal of that wait was definitely worth it. The circumstances are frustrating but no one in the CAF area of influence is at fault.

On the LS front, I want to keep this fairly anonymous, we can chat in private if anyone cares, that said; I have close to 20 years of services, did an OT not too long ago as I was getting very specialized in an area and the OT permitted me to get even more specialized (not through the CAF). My field of work is very niche and at this point rank is the last thing I care for but I do value the ability of the CAF institution to do the right thing an use the various mechanism that implemented to address the range of situation its members are facing or be flexible when new one arises.

It sounds like you have the right idea, understand the institutional side and know what you are looking for.  CFPAS and other policies are vague enough to allow for the interpretations/flexibility you are looking for.  Worst thing your CoC can do is say no and even then you have mechanisms at your disposal to pursue a final answer definitive answer.  Which based on your post you will likely have to enact.

Good luck!

I hope this doesn't mean rewriting PERs

Canadian Armed Forces requires all personnel to stop using gendered pronouns (on PERs)
“Based on a recent CAF cultural and normative shift to promote gender diversity and associated inclusiveness, CFPAS [Canadian Forces Personnel Appraisal System] writing policy and guide will also reflect this new reality where sex, gender identity, and gender expression are prohibited grounds of discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act. Forthwith the use of gender pronouns such as quote he/his and she/her unquote are not to be used when drafting pers. Members will be referred to by rank and name or by using gender-neutral pronouns such as they/their.”
https://www.thepostmillennial.com/canadian-armed-forces-requires-all-personnel-to-stop-using-gendered-pronouns

That was communicated after the PER directives were issued.  It should have been communicated through your CoC.  In any case, it should only really affect section 6.

The less inquisitive side of the right wing online commentariat is already starting to foam at the mouth over this one.

It makes sense to me. Still plenty of dinosaurs around, including on merit boards. If a PER reading 'MCpl Bloggins' instead of 'she' results in MCpl Bloggins getting more of a fair shake at courses and promitions because you don't get someone consciously or unconsciously pushing down females' PERs, I'm good with it.

It's sad to think our senior leadership for both NCOs and officers are singling out women to keep them down. Not very professional of us.

Is it really believable that members sitting on a merit board won't know someone's gender? When I seen files prepped for merit boards for a unit they included course reports and letters of reference, both with pronouns. Do national level merit boards work different?

Jarnhamar said:
It's sad to think our senior leadership for both NCOs and officers are singling out women to keep them down. Not very professional of us.
I think it would have to do more with someone filing a grievance saying that they didn't get the promotion because "I'm a guy/girl/something else. Had it been gender neutral your Honour, I would have gotten it."

Back