• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
Don't like your PER? Redress of Grievance. I've had a supervisor redress his PER and win. It took a year, but he won because he had the documentation to back it up. Promoted with backpay. Yes, people with supervisors who don't care will always right justify excrement pumps. Easiest way to not get spun up is to just do the best job you can do and not worry about everyone else's PERs.

Tried the redress route and lost despite my documentation. How can I not get spun up if I see crappy "dummies" getting promotions cause they planned a class A party and are awarded as the god of a Naval Reserve Division. Or see full time member supervisors who are well hated by all but continue to get promoted despite the fact that they have no real leadership skills and promote the release of many members. I have done the best job possible (maybe ever) when I backed a PO1 position as a senior OJT instructor in 2006 when I was the supervisor of the largest department for that summer. Also my people got the best training out of all sections by quite a bit. Unfortunitly for me, I ran into some of "NAVRES finest" who don't give a crap about nothing but themselves or pleasing their supervisors who have low expectations and leadership skills.

Any other MS or MCpl who was thrown into a PO1 / WO position with only four months in rank who had to supervise 33 people at one time and was responsible for 50 people want to respond to my thread.

Oh wait there is not another MS/MCpl who had to do that.

My initiative, intelligence and ingenuity ensured that my trade was the highest trained trade with the highest percentage of completed packages.

I accomplished great things but was stuck with an intelligence officer ( ??? :-[ :-X :boring: :rage:) who did not care for myself or another member who was the the mess president of a mess of 100 people. We both received PERs below our capabilities.

jewalsh said:
Any other MS or MCpl who was thrown into a PO1 / WO position with only four months in rank who had to supervise 33 people at one time and was responsible for 50 people want to respond to my thread.

You think you are the only one who's ever had to do a job that is much higher than his/her rank and experience ?

wow.

jewalsh,

"Any other MS or MCpl who was thrown into a PO1 / WO position with only four months in rank who had to supervise 33 people at one time and was responsible for 50 people want to respond to my thread.

"

Been there, done that (MCpl doing WO job), as have many others!

Assumptions like that are not helping you here, nor will they in your career. life in general.

Appologies to all re the quote, the quote function is not working for me right now...

Davionn

(modified to reflect that I was not aware jewalsh was retired on my original post)

jewalsh said:

My initiative, intelligence and ingenuity ensured that my trade was the highest trained trade with the highest percentage of completed packages.

I accomplished great things but was stuck with an intelligence officer ( ??? :-[ :-X :boring: :rage:) who did not care for myself or another member who was the the mess president of a mess of 100 people. We both received PERs below our capabilities.

Sorry to pop your ego bubble, but I retired as a Cpl 8 years ago.  In my 23 year career I did almost every  job an NCM can do in an Engineer Squadron, including Sqn Sgt Maj for 72 or so pretty crazy hours.  I hated the PER system, but it's what you've got.  Why wait till you're retired to bring this up?  It's not going to do you any good now.

All I hear was been there done that but no evidence that you had to endure a situation greater than mine. What I have done was unparalled in the NAVRES by an Nautical Mile and 98% of you never expereinced such intensity as a MS/MCpl. I feel happy that your supervisor was not a complete douchbag.

Ummmm, NAVRES, got it.  Try getting ahead in a Combat Engineer Regiment of 400 plus with more than it's fair share of nozzles in charge with sharp pens and long memories.  I have PLENTY I could be bitter over, but it's past now, and being angry all the time is just too damn tiring.  Build a bridge and get over yourself, your situation isn't unique, just the frequency of the high pitched whine.

Folks, I agree with Kat.

Most all of us have done things above our pay grade but we are not going to convince jewalsh that her's wasn't the mostest...........so, if possible, lets concentrate on her original diatribe.

Thanks,
Bruce

Holy fuck you're dense.  I now suspect the real reason you aren't CDS by now.  I don't like country music, yellow beer, or small cars, either.  Better get me a trip to the Museum of Tollerance, stat.  Talking to you is like trying to talk to my autistic son when he's got his mind set on something;  frustrating and pointless.

jewalsh said:
All I hear was been there done that but no evidence that you had to endure a situation greater than mine.

So, where's yours?

jewalsh said:

Ok, maybe I had a little more than a few months (not much more) but how is 117 personnel? And my next question is, who cares? I can say with certainty that not one person cares whether I managed that many prople for any length of time. I did it, it got mentioned on my PER and I moved on and got back to my job.

jewalsh said:

...Oh, I dunno.  Seems to me you're making one heck of an assumption that you're alone in that position.  How about being thrown into a WO position as successively both a Cpl and a MCpl?

Methinks thine assessment of thine own skills and accomplishments are furiously inflated.

jewalsh: I would leave the ego at the door; it may very well have something to do with your situation. You are not getting any sympathy here, as apparently you did not get from your supervisors; must be a case of "you're the only one in step".

I don't know how things are in NAVRES, but what you describe is very common in Army units, and we have our fair share of intelligent, competent and dedicated people; you are not unique.

But just in case you really think you are, check this out:

unique.jpg

Good luck with whatever you are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't hold my breath... I know a guy who did a similar thing after releasing a few years ago, and he is bitter, depressed and burned out since. It wasn't worth it, especially considering he was not nearly half as good as he thought he was.

jewalsh said:
I accomplished great things

According to no one but you.  I'm sorry if that comes as a shock to you, but there's reality for you...

We both received PERs below our capabilities.

You know, I think we may have hit the nail on the head here.  One doesn't get PERs to match one's capabilities.  One gets PERs that reflect one's performance.

Any chance that you were a bitter, cranky, and perhaps a bit dense, JNCO who didn't perform as well as he could because he was too busy projecting his faults onto his supervisors?

jewalsh said:
All I hear was been there done that but no evidence that you had to endure a situation greater than mine. What I have done was unparalled in the NAVRES by an Nautical Mile and 98% of you never expereinced such intensity as a MS/MCpl. I feel happy that your supervisor was not a complete douchbag.

The "I'm more special than everyone else" line is over there - and several Statute Miles long.  Most of the people on this board have had to deal with things well above their rank, pay and trade levels, and some under considerably more extreme and adverse conditions than you.  Get over yourself and reign in the hystrionics.  You have a beef, redress it; if your AO sucks, fire them; if you don't like the answers you're getting in the process, push it higher; if you're still not hearing what you want to hear either from the process OR from here, well, and I know I might be going out on a limb here, but the lowest common denominator is probably something that everyone but you can see.

And BTW, I've been employed in positions that were pay grades and trade levels well above what I was at the time.

MM

jewalsh said:
GDA.jpg

At the risk of sounding "high-school-ish"... that was ....... PRICELESS.!!    :salute:

jewalsh said:

I have a LS supervising 40 people that might be interested in sharing some words with you. In NAVRES.

The problem you identify isn't one with CFPAS (after all, you were actually given very good PERs judging by your scores - especially for your first and second year as MS). The problem is that the establishment is smaller than our talent pool, meaning people stay longer at ranks beneath which they're capable of performing at. You've just freed up an MS billet by releasing, and a LS NCIOP somewhere is cheering. 360 evaluations won't change that.

Enjoy your retirement. If you want to pursue your thesis you might consider graduate-level study in organizational behaviour or management, but you'll be required to substantiate your assertions with facts and data.

jewalsh said:
All I hear was been there done that but no evidence that you had to endure a situation greater than mine. What I have done was unparalleled in the NAVRES by an Nautical Mile and 98% of you never experienced such intensity as a MS/MCpl. I feel happy that your supervisor was not a complete douchbag.

Have you actually read ALL of the replies within this thread?  Have you realized that there is a reply from a former member of Navres? I will assume that you have and you have classified me within the 2% that may have experienced something similar to you.  But I can tell you right now that I had the privilege to work with many personnel that were in a similar position. 

What type of evidence do you want?  Do you want us to post copies of our PERs and MPRRs?  Would you like signed affidavits from our peers and supervisors? Reading peoples profiles here on line, until someone gives me reason NOT to believe them, I will believe what they say.  Therefore, their word saying that yes, they have been there done that is good enough for me.  How come it isn't for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back