• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I am posting this message in the right place or not. I apologize if I am. (I know some forums are sensitive about this.)

Tis the season for PER's. I have started them but ran into a computer issue.
My question is; is there a program for MAC OS that will recognize the CFPAS program? My PC laptop monitor has packed it in and it needs to be replaced. It costs just as much to get a newer laptop than to replace the monitor. If I am going to do this, I am going to purchase an IMAC notebook.
In addition, my desktop is also a MAC. I have searched everywhere and cannot find a program that will allow CFPAS to open on the MAC.
I need to ensure that the program is compatible on both MAC and PC as I need to transfer some information from the PC computers at the workplace.
Thanks in advance for the help. :salute:

CFPAS is PC only.  You can look at apps like Parallels for the Mac that will let you run a virtual PC on your mac.

Alternatively, open the old PERs on a PC and cut and paste what you need, saving in a text file.

I heard horror stories about parallels, but if it works, it may be my only option. How well does it work? Can I edit and email to my Forces.gc account?
Thanks for the help.

Dice said:
I heard horror stories about parallels, but if it works, it may be my only option. How well does it work? Can I edit and email to my Forces.gc account?
Thanks for the help.

As a Windows XP/ Win7/ Linux user, I'm afraid I have no hands on experience.  One previous subordinate is a member of the Cult of the Mac, but he had an old windows laptop he used for PERs.

What you may want to do is write the narratives using any text editor, save in RTF , DOC or TXT format, then paste them in to CFPAS when you're on a DND machine. Not the best solution, but not the worst, either.

Dice said:
Not sure if I am posting this message in the right place or not. I apologize if I am. (I know some forums are sensitive about this.)

Tis the season for PER's. I have started them but ran into a computer issue.
My question is; is there a program for MAC OS that will recognize the CFPAS program? My PC laptop monitor has packed it in and it needs to be replaced. It costs just as much to get a newer laptop than to replace the monitor. If I am going to do this, I am going to purchase an IMAC notebook.
In addition, my desktop is also a MAC. I have searched everywhere and cannot find a program that will allow CFPAS to open on the MAC.
I need to ensure that the program is compatible on both MAC and PC as I need to transfer some information from the PC computers at the workplace.
Thanks in advance for the help. :salute:

Or....you could snag an old style monitor, not the flat screen type (this is simply to save $$) and just plug it into the laptop...that will work for doing up pers.....

Thanks for the help guys.
As of now, I have the laptop running into my 50 inch flat screen T.V. It works awesome, but not the best for privacy, and very inconvenient when the wife wants to watch her Desperate Housewives...lol.
I will experiment with the parallels program, however I heard the latest MAC OS is supposed to run any windows program. If I do get an IMAC, I will make sure I have the lastest OS.
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers.

Dice said:
Thanks for the help.

Edit and e-mail what to your forces.gc account?  Certainly not narrative from someone's PER, I hope.

Mac has a program called Boot Camp.  It will let you run a windows partition on a mac.  You require an intel based processor( all the MacBooks use intel processors, and you need a copy of windows.  Do a wikipedia search to find out more.

BootCamp Parallels or VMware will work.

On your Mac or Linux you can open the files in a plain text editor; the narrative and description are all in plain text. If you modify only the plain text part and not the unprintable elements, you should be able to load the updated PER back into CFPAS, finish and print.

and yes, you are not supposed to email those files around...

cheers,
Frank

Occam said:
Edit and e-mail what to your forces.gc account?  Certainly not narrative from someone's PER, I hope.

LOL.. Absolutely not. I tried to email a the cfpas program (empty of course) to my home from work so I could do PER's and PDR's from home. The attachment would not open on my MAC. I also tried to email some Office based docs and though I have Office for MAC, some files still would not open such as ACCESS and Power Point.

Thanks for all the help.
Cheers.

Dice said:
LOL.. Absolutely not. I tried to email a the cfpas program to my home from work so I could do PER's and PDR's from home. The attachment would not open on my MAC.
I am going to try the parallels program for now. Hopefully it works.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers.

Normally, you'd be able to download CFPAS from a static URL, but someone hasn't updated the CFPAS internet site to the latest CLF flavour of the week, so the link is broken.  That URL is www.forces.gc.ca/CFPAS.

If you wanted to download it via the internet at this time, the URL to use would be http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfpas-sepfc/ps/download-telechar-eng.asp.

Good luck with getting it to run on a virtual machine.  ;D

Thanks OCCAM.
Good to know. I have a blank one on my laptop. I just need to get it to work on the MAC somehow. I may have to just get a new PC laptop if I can't figure it out.
You have all been real helpful. I am new to the site and I have to say, I will be visiting often. Thanks for everything. :salute:

Dice said:
Thanks OCCAM.
Good to know. I have a blank one on my laptop. I just need to get it to work on the MAC somehow. I may have to just get a new PC laptop if I can't figure it out.
You have all been real helpful. I am new to the site and I have to say, I will be visiting often. Thanks for everything. :salute:

Knowing where you are, I can also assure you that if you visit your friendly neighbourhood TIS personnel, you'll be able to sign out a DWAN laptop on temporary loan, complete with CFPAS and DVPNI (for using the internet to access the DWAN).  They have a pool of laptops specifically for that very purpose.  ;)

Does anyone know how to fix that annoying issue with CFPAS when you are filling in the text say section 5a on a PDR and if you go on to a line already typed and hit space bar it overwrites that line? Not sure if anyone has had  this problem but I do remember a while ago and cant for the life of me remember what to do. My only other way is to type text out on word and paste it.
Thanks

Click the "Insert" button on your keyboard, it will change the cursor from typeover to insert (or vice versa).

By the way, that's a Windows thing, not a CFPAS thing.

Or you can do all your writing and editing in Word then cut and paste it into the narrative sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back