• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)

RTaylor said:
So students in Kingston doing POET get March Break?

:D

I didn't say that.  Contact CFSCE for the best information.  Did you get joining instructions as it might tell you in there?

Or, if you prefer your information from anonymous posters online, rather than actually contacting the school......

Yes, the Base and Schools do close for March Break. During that time, however, the students continue being employed making toys for the red-suited overlord.

Glad I could help  ;)

Remember the days when if students didn't have enough leave to cover the school closure period they worked in the kitchen (or elsewhere)?  >:D

Im here in Kingston now taking POET. WoW what a course, fast and intense with all the C.O.C.K. trimmings the army has to offer.

Only advice I have to give is don't join AVS thinking it's a free ride to a spec pay job.

And March Break was awesome!

I'm sure theres several people that have taken POET and could likely answer most of your questions.  Chances are outstanding you're not the first person to ask.  Unless its something weird and personal, in which case - yes, large antique trunks full of bondage gear and pictures of kittens are acceptable as long as they fit under your bed.  Enjoy BMQ.  Out of curiosity, how come you have to do it over again?

Take it from someone who didn't make POET and was able to come back to his original trade...I flubbed out at syncro-servo and then amps in the second round.

Study-study...learn-learn...don't piss of the DS! 
Oh, make sure you have a knack for electronics..... ^-^

Its also constantly changing.  Not sure when you did poet, but its gone over about 3 revamps lately.  Each time shortening, and lessening the load on students (IMO).

Also, Syncro-Servo doesn't even exist anymore according to my 'man on the inside' :)

It's just sort of a generic couple of days of EMD theory.

POET seems to be more of a mixed bag depending on overall atmosphere more than individual aptitude.  While at times there are people who bombed out, the same people would more likely have been "taught" a little more with different instructors at different POs.  I mean, I had a mid to high 90s average the whole time and STILL managed to get on academic mandatory study group occasionally.  Whereas some people flunked, got their 24 hours, then flunked again with little tutorship. 

Also, bag drive DS made it a lot harder for some than others who had relaxed staff.  As with everything though, the 2 former examples of each scenario are happening less and less.  You are more likely to have relaxed staff and intense tutoring than ever.  The trade can't afford to lose you. 

I apologize in advance if this is in location or if it has already been asked.  I did attempt a search for well over an hour, but couldn't get a clear answer.

I was wondering if there is a Graduation Parade or anything of the sort upon completing the POET course?

Thanks.  :nod:

You bet... and when I was there, you're either on one or spectating one about every 2-3 weeks or so for all the other poet courses.  This usually entails 2 morning drill practices, then the real deal. 

PARADE oriented Electronics Training.  :)

Hi there,
I am a currently doing an occupational transfer from infantry to AVS.  I know its a huge leap but I find I am good in the electronic world and would like to pursue a career in it.  Anyways I have three months before my course starts in borden and since I have been out of the school game for quite a bit I was wondering if anybody could recomend and books or maybe subjects to focus on to help prepare me for this course.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

First you are going to want to brush up on math, there can be quite a bit involved when dealing with all of the theory. If you get into AM and FM you will want to have an idea of how trigonometry works especially with respect to sine waves and their characteristics. You may also want to get books on electronic and electric theory. You will have modules for DC, AC, Oscillators, and many other pieces of core knowledge.  I had taken POET out of high school with limited electronic knowledge and the pace of the information is fast but doable. Unfortunately all of the books I have are from when I took an Electronic Engineering Technology diploma program.

Brush up on math, lots of math.
Read everything you can on electronics theory, AC/DC (not the band!) AM/FM, syncro-servo, AMPLIFIERS~~~that seems to be the wall.
Take it from me who was unsuccessful in completing the course twice.  Usually, if you can get thru Amps, the rest is downhill.
Oh, and if you're still working on base, visit or get some OJT at WTIS or the COMM Sqdn, or hanger....talk to any Jimmy about POET...it's a 2 year college course squeezed into a six month time frame complete with military inspections and parades!!!
Have fun and good luck with that...probably see you over here in 10 hanger <<if it still stands>>
:blotto:

BYT Driver said:
talk to any Jimmy about POET...it's a 2 year college course squeezed into a six month time frame complete with military inspections and parades!!!

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  There is an awful lot of material that a C.Tech does during their two year college program that POET doesn't even touch, or doesn't cover in the same amount of depth.  It's still a difficult course, though, requiring a lot of effort.

Thanks for the correction Occam, I know there is a ton of info to cram into little heads in little time.  My favourite saying was >>"welcome to PO 40?, Syncro-servo...we are 2 days behind schedule!!! so listen up" 
How can you compete with that type of intelligence???  And scheduling???
Regards, BYTD

IMO I would concentrate on math, specifically Trig. Maybe dabble a bit in boolean algebra (It is difficult to grasp for some <me>) so the learning curve will not be as sharp. Math will be involved in every PO from POET to the completion of your QL3.

As for reading electronics ahead of time I would not "study" it but use it as general info to peak your own interest. The material changes from PO to PO and so does it's depth so trying to figure out what will be required will be difficult ahead of time. But math is guaranteed.

I would concentrate on the sonnets.  also get a good understanding of iambic pentameter, along with rhythm and rhyme.  At least a basic familiarity of haiku structure is adviseable.

Back