• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)

I was wondering if anyone here would know if it is possible to find out what courses/subjects, and possibly get course/subject outlines, are taken when doing POET? I already have a diploma in Electronics so I will be skipping it, but I would like to know what I am skipping because there might be a subject that I do not know enough about, or maybe I should brush up on.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

IIRC, POET is a highly condenced version of what you took in college or university or trade school...just time compressed to 6 months.  And a very high failure rate...  :-[  From what I've heard from techs, they haven't really used POET stuff since..  :blotto:
Hope this answered your question.    ::)

BYT Driver said:
IIRC, POET is a highly condenced version of what you took in college or university or trade school...just time compressed to 6 months.  And a very high failure rate...  :-[   From what I've heard from techs, they haven't really used POET stuff since..  :blotto:

POET is not anywhere remotely equivalent to what is offered in college.  It's not just time condensed, it's content condensed as well - which is why POET isn't recognized by any of the provincial licensing bodies as sufficient training for certification as a Certified Electronics Engineering Technician (CTech).

In a nutshell, POET is basic electronics theory, AC/DC fundamentals, semiconductors, servos and synchros, etc.  If you're already certified (or able to be certified) by one of the provincial licensing bodies for CTech/CET, then there's absolutely nothing that you've missed by bypassing POET.

BYT Driver said:
IIRC, POET is a highly condenced version of what you took in college or university or trade school...just time compressed to 6 months.  And a very high failure rate...  :-[   From what I've heard from techs, they haven't really used POET stuff since..  :blotto:
Don't know what trade of techs you are referring. The techs I know and work with in the EO world use it alot more than you'd think. Mostly Ohms law, and some solid state and digital theory.

Ok, from the CFSCE (Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics) Intranet/DIN site for the POET Course:

PO 001 - Perform Electronic Workshop Practices. This PO focuses on connecting electrical wires and cables; installing components on terminal boards; removing components on terminal boards; performing user maintenance on soldering equipment; maintaining a safe working environment; performing user maintenance on personal tools/tool kits, basic workshop tools, and equipment; and operating Personal Computers (PCs) to access publications, manuals, and references.

PO 002 - Verify the Operation of Direct Current (DC) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on multi-meters; analyzing electronic DC components and circuits; and testing electronic DC components and circuits.

PO 003 - Verify the Operation of Alternating Current (AC) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on oscilloscopes and signal generators; analyzing electronic AC components and circuits; and testing electronic AC components and circuits.

PO 004 - Isolate Faults in Electro-Mechanical Devices. This PO focuses on isolating faults on electrical motors; isolating faults in synchro systems; and isolating faults in servo systems.

PO 005 - Verify the Operation of Solid State Devices. This PO focuses on analyzing the following solid state devices: diodes, transistors, U nijunction Transistors (UJTs), thyristors, Field Effect Transistors (FETs), Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCRs), transducers, thermistors, photoresistors, Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs), and photo-transistors; and testing the following solid state devices: diodes, transistors, U nijunction Transistors (UJTs), thyristors, Field Effect Transistors (FETs), Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCRs).

PO 006 - Isolate Faults in Power Supply Circuits. This PO focuses on analyzing and testing the following power supply circuits: converters, rectifiers, filters, regulators and transformers.

PO 007 - Isolate Faults in Amplifier Circuits. This PO focuses on analyzing and testing multistage amplifiers: common emitter, common collector, and common base; and analyzing and testing amplifier circuits: phase splitters, push pull amplifiers, complementary power amplifiers, Darlington Pairs, FET amplifiers, and Operational Amplifiers (Op Amp).

PO 008 - Isolate Faults in Oscillator Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on frequency counters and pulse generators; analyzing and testing oscillators: Series Fed Hartley, Shunt Fed Colpits Fet, Wein-Bridge, Crystal and Voltage Controlled; and analyzing and testing multi-vibrator circuits: bi-stable, mono-stable, astable, Schmitt trigger and 555 timer.

PO 009 - Isolate Faults in Multistage Electronic Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on wattmeters; analyzing multistage electronic circuits; and testing multistage electronic circuits.

PO 010 - Isolate Faults in Digital Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on logic probes and logic analyzers; analyzing digital gates; analyzing digital circuits; and testing digital circuits.

PO 011 - Isolate Faults in Amplitude Modulation (AM) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on spectrum analyzer and dummy load; analyzing AM, SSB circuits, and transmission medium; and testing AM and SSB circuits.

PO 012 - Isolate Faults in Frequency Modulation (FM) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on deviation meter; analyzing Fm circuits and transmission media; and testing FM circuits.

Length of Course: 119 Training days.

*for the most part, the POs are taught over a 2 week period, 1 subject at a time.

Thank you Eye In The Sky, I think I am more than proficient in all those subjects. But this at least will give me an idea on some things I can read up on if I ever feel the need.

adaminc said:
Thank you Eye In The Sky, I think I am more than proficient in all those subjects. But this at least will give me an idea on some things I can read up on if I ever feel the need.

I'm just a messenger....good luck with your career!  I hope you like the equipment course and the C & E life... :)

...Have a Greeaat CFSCE Day!!!        8)
That's all I remember these days...luckily I got back into my old trade! 
driving.gif

:salute:

combatbuddha said:
Don't know what trade of techs you are referring. The techs I know and work with in the EO world use it alot more than you'd think. Mostly Ohms law, and some solid state and digital theory.

Buddha,

POET isn't a trade. It's  Performance Orientated Electronics Training. When they first started it, IIRC, depending on how you did, you were shuffled into one of the (at that time) many C & E Tech trades (Rad Tech, Tel Tech, TE Tech, etc). Now, alot of different trades use it as a stepping stone prior to going on QL3 (ATIS, LCIS, EGS, etc).

211RadOp said:
Buddha,

POET isn't a trade. It's  Performance Orientated Electronics Training. When they first started it, IIRC, depending on how you did, you were shuffled into one of the (at that time) many C & E Tech trades (Rad Tech, Tel Tech, TE Tech, etc). Now, alot of different trades use it as a stepping stone prior to going on QL3 (ATIS, LCIS, EGS, etc).

Duh. I took it, and the reply was to the other fella who stated that techs who took POET hadn't used it much since they completed the course.
Thank-you Mr non POET taking Rad Op, but you are also incorrect. To my knowledge EGS does not take POET. (EO used to be FCS takes POET)
I took Poet back when tubes was still being taught, when LCIS where actually Radio Techs (not parts changers), the airforce had 4 elelctronics trades (IE, IS, CRS and AWS) and the first trade you joined for FCS (now EO) was ELM.
I use my poet knowledge in my job daily. Some days I use it more than others.
Thank-you for the input, you can go back to sleep now.

I stand corrected. I miss read your response. The way I read it was that you thought POET was a trade. My mistake.

I will be starting my POET course in kingston on nov 27. Just wondering how this course is. I have heard that it is the hardest part of the AVS course. Any input? Also how are they about the rooms, it is pretty good a CFSATE PAT platoon, I have a nice tv and computer. Just wondring if I should bother bringin' them, to kingston? They more picky on the room layouts etc?

Thanks for any info.....

I suggest you search this subject first, there is a ton of info on this site about POET.  I did mine back in 05, incomplete and happy for it!  The rooms are  4 per, bring your own computer and TV, you'll need permission to hook them up but it's pretty quick.  The city of Kingston is great, take time to go exploring and seeing the sights, not just the cuties at Queen's!  POET is the most difficult academic course in the military and you need to have an aptitude for electronics or the brains to learn FAST.  It is a very fast paced course, so be awake and don't show up hungover!  like some dipshit did on my course. 
Hope that helped some.
BYTD

Hmmmm...I graduate on Thursday Nov 20, hit Borden on Nov 21, think that the course is full up or that I'll be sent to Kingston for POET?

A POET crse starts evey 2 weeks at CFSCE.  You could be waiting a while for your POET, depending on the current backlog of people waiting in PRETC and CFSATE.  Being positive, as AVS you should be at CFSATE PAT platoon vice PRETC.

I may have to take compassionate care leave, my son is having issues so it might take a bit to go home and clear up (he's pooping blood alot). Going to see if I can get a OJT in Greenwood while the problem gets sorted out. Hopefully they can accomodate me.

Hey all,

Been a while since Ive been here but Ive had a few questions floating around.

Im heading to POET on March 5th and Ive been wondering if there is a March Break there. When I was in Greenwood on OJT they told me to burn all my leave because it was useless in Kingston. Any leave for such periods like March Break and Summer Leave were under Special Academic Leave.

Then I heard that March Break is from March 13 to the 22nd or so.

Does Kingston students get a March (Spring) Break or was it all a bunch of phooey?

Seeing some of the administration coming out of CFSCE I wouldn't be surprised but contact CFSCE and make sure you are not bringing a shit load of leave with you with only two months left in the fiscal year.  March break in Ontario is the second week of March.

Back