• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pension Act vs NVA Lifetime Comparison

Hm. That must go up incrementally yearly? I'm at 100%, but only got $260,000. Of course, I got mine in 2008.

I wonder how they're going to do the retroactivty? As in, will it also include the small annual increases?

Article going into more detail.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/03/22/benefits-enhanced-but-no-return-yet-to-life-long-pensions-for-veterans/

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/download-telecharger/index-en.html

You can download the complete Budget plan on the above link.

John Tescione said:
http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/download-telecharger/index-en.html

You can download the complete Budget plan on the above link.
As DS, you should know that spamming links is not allowed. You posted it in the politics thread, we only need the link once, especially to a 200 page PDF when this thread only deals with 1/2 pages in it.

Good news all around, although still room to improve.

I wonder how long until we see the bump in Earnings Loss and retroactive DA ?

The increase is $50k based on this year's numbers, 100% for 2016 is $310k, 2017 will be the $360k from the budget.

PuckChaser said:
As DS, you should know that spamming links is not allowed. You posted it in the politics thread, we only need the link once, especially to a 200 page PDF when this thread only deals with 1/2 pages in it.

And as a Mentor, you should also know that you can take that kind of comment to PM, and not disrupt the thread.

Posting links, that are relevant to various topics is allowed.

Sorry, did I miss the memo that assigned you as the DS to the DS?

PuckChaser said:
The increase is $50k based on this year's numbers, 100% for 2016 is $310k, 2017 will be the $360k from the budget.

So we wouldn't get that cheque until 2017?

RobA said:
So we wouldn't get that cheque until 2017?
Likely not, but it's all how VAC is directed to administer it. I wouldn't expect a cheque for at least a year, if it takes 7 months to adjudicate someone losing their legs in an IED strike, imagine how long it's going to take for them to go through every approved claim since 2006.

Little bit confused here but is the government lowering the minimum amount for ELB?

Finally, the calculation of the minimum benefit would be amended to be based on a senior private's salary instead of a basic corporal's salary.

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/plan/ch5-en.html#_Toc446106788

I'll grant them, they went from application to decision in 6 weeks for me in 2011.  I was shocked.

Reading the legalese, it looks like a small increase as the earnings lost uses the greater of salary at release and senior private, which would make a slightly larger gap.

My take on these "enhancements" is that they all have some benefit to various veteran's in some little way, I feel they are more of a stop gap and not, I hope, the final answer. I suspect combined with the earlier post about the Minister's comment on Facebook and what I have heard about an impending series of meetings between the Min of VA and the Min of Defence with the Equitas people and their legal team that is supposed to take place in April there may be more to come. The new money in the Budget does not even come close to what the Equitas litigation is proposing as a solution.

I also believe that until they have an estimate of the cost of return to pensions determined no reasonable government would want to start down a road without a map that may end up full of expensive surprises. In my earlier projection they would have to pay me about $535K more over the 23 years to age 80. At 57 I am at the upper end of the age spectrum. I am in total 85% disabled under the Pension Act and NVC. Many of you are in your late 20s or early 30s and may have more severe injuries. 

At some point I suspect the DM and the assorted ADMs said to the Minister do you know how much your promise will cost?

I doubt money is the issue. They were willing to spend an extra $8B to buy the First Nations vote, and $10B on public transit to buy the downtown Toronto vote. They could have made the deficit $5B higher and retroactively restored lifetime pensions without batting an eye. They didn't, as there is no political will to do it. Veterans got "just enough" here, to keep us quiet.

From comments I"m already seeing just the amount the Liberals are increasing the budget is enough for the general public to say well there you go there giving you Billions. Bye bye public support.

New VAC office in the Minister of National Defence riding I believe, reopening nine others, plus hiring more Public Servants.

Sorry guys the Liberals lied.
....... the Ministers FB and someone asked about the pensions for the millionth time and today actually got a response from him. All he said was "stay tuned".

So stay tuned.

I posted
You may or you may not find this interesting re Dear Minister.
just so you could agree or disagree with the personal attributes of the VAC Minister. I wasn't impressed, but I've lost it.

IMHO, I don't think the increase to the disability awards for you fellows was much. Peanuts in the scheme of things. Peanuts. But I will stay tuned.

Apparently the Canadian Press thinks its a "big win for Veterans". They're missing the fact that this small change is $5.8B over 5 years. Imagine what lifetime pensions would cost, not to mention free university tuition.... no wonder they conveniently left it out of the budget.

PuckChaser said:
Apparently the Canadian Press thinks its a "big win for Veterans". They're missing the fact that this small change is $5.8B over 5 years. Imagine what lifetime pensions would cost, not to mention free university tuition.... no wonder they conveniently left it out of the budget.

You do realize that this is the first of 4 Budgets.

Yes, $30 billion in debt times 4 years, $120Billion, min...great job...(sarcasm off)

Back