• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PE Coach - New Apple and (US) VA App for PTSD

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pe-coach/id507357193?mt=8

PE Coach
By US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Link at iTunes: Open iTunes to buy and download apps.

Description
If you are a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine or Veteran experiencing difficulties due to a traumatic experience (for example, combat, deployment experience, or sexual assault), the PE Coach mobile application (app) may be part of the solution. PE Coach is designed to be used during psychotherapy provided by a behavioral health professional who is trained in Prolonged Exposure (PE) therapy. By itself this smartphone app is not sufficient to treat posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PE Coach is not a self-help tool. However, military Veterans, Service members, and others with symptoms of PTSD who are receiving PE treatment can work together with their therapist to use the tools in this app during PE therapy to process the traumatic experience and reduce anxiety and fear.

The app will guide you through the exercises assigned by your therapist and allows you to track and record your progress in treatment. In addition, the app provides you with techniques such as controlled breathing that will help you tolerate and decrease your distress. PE Coach will help you remember and track your upcoming therapy sessions. You and your therapist will be able to audio record your sessions directly onto your phone so that you can review them later as part of your treatment.

This app is based on the Oxford University Press treatment workbook for PE, “Reclaiming your Life From a Traumatic Experience”. The app was designed with military Service members in mind but will be useful to any trauma survivor participating in PE treatment.

External Links: The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) or Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of the linked websites, or the information, products or services contained therein. The DoD/VA does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of these DoD/VA products.

Other links at iTunes:
US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Web SitePE Coach SupportApplication License Agreement

http://defensetech.org/2012/08/02/new-ptsd-app-for-iphone-android/

New PTSD app for iPhone, Android

The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Pentagon have released a new version of the smartphone app for vets dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder.

The new app – for both iPhones and Android phones – is called PE Coach. PE stands for Prolonged Exposure, a reference to prolonged exposure therapy for dealing with traumatic memory.

The new frontier of mental health apps assists users through their treatment of PTSD in conjunction with therapy. PE Coach is designed to help service members and veterans, especially those between visits with a military health care provider, said Dr. Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of defense for health affairs.

With PE therapy, a patient revisits the traumatic memory with a therapist, and as he or she emotionally processes the memory, anxiety decreases. The therapy also helps the patient confront situations that trigger memories of the trauma.

Kristin Valentino, an assistant professor of psychology at University of Notre Dame, commended the military for producing the app, but tempered her approval until she saw how patients responded to it.

“In my experience this is pretty cutting edge. It seems promising, but more research needs to be done on the success. Who does it work best for? Who doesn’t it work for?” she said.

Users have the option to input activities that cause anxiety in the in vivo hierarchy, recording and inputting therapy sessions into the built-in calendar feature. The app also includes a place to keep notes, so a veteran can jot down thoughts for later discussions with therapists locations, situations or other events he or she avoided.

YouTube videos are integrated into the user’s interface explaining some of the more difficult terms and therapy techniques. The transition is seamless and user interface is simple, bordering simplistic.

The breathing exercise reminds one of a 1980’s children’s video graphic, but the bright colors and a pleasant, if not robotic, voice gets the job done.

Valentino cautioned patients should not trade use of the app for a consultation with a clinician.

“This is not a self help tool. I wouldn’t want a person to decide if an event is an appropriate anxiety provoking event. This doesn’t give the go-ahead to jump ahead. They could deal with the event by avoiding which would reinforce the anxiety. Don’t move up without clinicians’ approval,” she said.

A user named Drew wrote on Google Play’s post on the new app had some suggestions for an update to PE Coach.

“This app is essential for returning troops, like myself. I love the app and it has helped tremendously, but while progressing through the treatment I wanted to delete items that I have worked through. The app doesn’t allow you to delete items from the InVivo hierarchy,” Drew wrote.

PE Coach includes features developed for PTSD Coach, the smartphone app the VA and Pentagon released just over a year ago. This includes accurate information about PTSD, strategies for managing symptoms even on the go, access to public and individualized support sources, and the ability to track their symptoms.

The VA said in July that the app had been downloaded more than 53,000 times in more than 60 countries since its release in May 2011. That app recently earned the VA and the Pentagon an award for innovation in telemedicine from the American Telemedicine Association, VA officials said.

- By Joanna Campione and Bryant Jordan

That's interesting. I'm going to have a look into this and speak with my Doc during my next head space and timing check. Also going to look into PTSD Coach that they mention.

Tools like this might be very useful, but it will be interresting to find out if there are any "operational" differences between the therapies.

15 mths ago my MH worker suggested I utilize the PTSD Coach from the National Centre for PTSD (http://www.ptsd.va.gov). With the addition of the PE Coach, my wife, also a TFA veteran,  and I continue to be proactive in our MH hygiene, regardless of what local MD's are pushing...

Back