• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PCP for Med Tech NCM-SEP in BC

oso604

Inactive
Reaction score
All my documents have been handed into the recruiter now and all I need is the PCP acceptance letter from the JIBC. I've spent almost 2 years getting all my prerequisites completed to get into the JIBC PCP course. And, because my recruiter has been promising me that once I provide him with the letter I'll be accepted for Med Tech NCM-SEP. However; I've now discovered that the JIBC is NOT offering the course and aren't saying when they will. Plus, from all the reading I've been doing on this forum it turns out that this is an issue that the CF is very aware of and my recruiter should have warned me about. So, my question is what do I do now??? I can't find any other schools in BC that offer the PCP course and if I go out of province I don't have sufficient prerequisites.

Apply to join as a Med tech - you'll end up going to JIBC anyway for your PCP phase anyway.  However, you might have to wait.  Or find out what pre-reqs you need to go eleswhere, get them and then go there.

MM

1.Are you saying that I would need to do a seperate application for direct entry because originally applied for the NCM-SEP program?

2. Does that mean that the PCP course at the JIBC is only closed to civilians and not to the army?

3. How can I find a list of schools that offer the PCP program that the CF would approve for NCM-SEP enrollment? I can't find any other school in BC for PCP.

1.Are you saying that I would need to do a seperate application for direct entry because originally applied for the NCM-SEP program?

2. Does that mean that the PCP course at the JIBC is only closed to civilians and not to the army?

3. How can I find a list of schools that offer the PCP program that the CF would approve for NCM-SEP enrollment? I can't find any other school in BC for PCP.

Talk to the recruiter about switching out from NCM SEP to regular enrolment, also ask for the up to date list of appproved colleges - JIBC, IIRC, is the only place in BC that teaches paramedicine, so you'll likely have to look out of province.  There may be a back log at JIBC simply because they're trying to get sorted out from the preceptor's strike.  The JIBC has a contract with the CF to provide PCP training to its medics.

MM

Thank you, I'll try that.  But actually I originally applied for direct entry; but, there was no positions available. So, he told me to try the subsidized edu. route. The way I understand it I would be on the waiting list for next April's intake or if I can get into a achool then I'd be taken off the list and into the sub. edu. Is my understanding wrong? I've tried asking him but he's almost impossible to get in contact with, for example he still hasn't replied to my last set of emails from 3 weeks ago...

Also Can you tell me what IIRC stands for?

Plus, since I've handed all the paper-work in, shouldn't I get an interview? Its been months since I went to the office to hand-in the last of my papers and I still haven't heard anything about an interview. Is there any way to change recruiters? If so. I worry that it would hurt me during the eventual interview due to word-of-mouth.

Thank you for your help.

oso604

There is absolutely no need to re-post your last response again.

The Army.ca Staff

Wow, what a bloody cluster this thread is.

Oso, don't even worry about the JI.  If you're accepted into the trade then its because you have the prerequisites for JI and the army side so stop stressing.

The JI was rather backlogged due to the BC Ambulance strike, however that has been cleared up now and things at the JI are back on track.  However, you may wait a while to start your Clinical portion in Borden.  Once your training begins you should follow through all three phases of the Medic Training.

You will not be able to just bugger off and do your PCP at another location, you will do it with your course in BC, or somewhere else as a group if for some reason their contract with the army is taken away (not too likely).

oso604 said:

Yes, because the JI has an obligation to the Army to push out medics.

oso604 said:

In all honestly mate, just go through Reg. Enrolment.  Free college out in BC for 6 months with a group of your friends aint a bad deal.

All that being said, relax.  Get through BMQ first, its not the easiest 13 weeks after all.  Figure out if the army is even something you want, because you really don't know yet.

Back