• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PBS documentary "Carrier"

There are a few places on the Frigates to hide and romance so just imagine on a CSV how many places you can do something and not get caught.

You mean CVN...

Excellent series.  Brought back some memories of long days at sea and that great relief you feel when you return home.

you can watch the full episodes on the pbs site. No full screen though :p

Just start watching online, best quote ever (I don't think they will top this) "Who is the Secretary of Defence?" "Ummmm, Connalingus Rice?"

That was pretty funny. Did anyone else notice how psyched out everyone seemed for that exam? :eek:

MarkOttawa said:
Just watching Tuesday, around 2145 EDT.  USN (seemingly all white)  boards a freighter in the Gulf, with a lot of cars on board, apparently mainly crewed by men from the Indian subcontinent.  To the average eye it looked like a bunch of over-armed personnel exhibiting considerable over-concern (to put it mildly).

No wonder hearts and minds are being lost.  It's the attitude, dude.

Mark
Ottawa

Am still waiting for Mark to get back and comment on his claims regrading USN Boarding Team members after being challenged by so many board members.

Ex-Dragoon: Was just giving an honest personal reaction.  I may have been ill-informed about common boarding procedures; I was not trying to disparage the personnel involved.

Mark
Ottawa

I just watched the documentary and greatly enjoyed it. Did it appear to anyone else that there seemed to be a lack of discipline on the ship? The main ordnance guy seemed to wear his pants a bit low. I noticed one girl wearing a phat farm sweater while on duty as well. Is this dress typical in the Canadian Navy? There as also that seen during the action stations drill where the two sailors mouth off to chief. I was surprised at this as well.

Kilo_302 said:
I just watched the documentary and greatly enjoyed it. Did it appear to anyone else that there seemed to be a lack of discipline on the ship? The main ordnance guy seemed to wear his pants a bit low. I noticed one girl wearing a phat farm sweater while on duty as well. Is this dress typical in the Canadian Navy? There as also that seen during the action stations drill where the two sailors mouth off to chief. I was surprised at this as well.

I wasn't surprised by it, given the general discontent towards authority/discipline in societies young adult population (and being one myself, I see it daily), coupled with the fact these same people tend to cause all sorts problems by launching lawsuits, harrasment complaints etc, against the organization they work for.  And even if the lawsuits/complaints are totally unfounded and baseless, the negative PR, and ultra PC attitude of alot beuracrats/polictians, ensure that the organization "relaxs" its standards, so as not to deal with headache that enforcing the standard would bring upon them.

Also it doesn't help, when alot of those same individuals above are more loyal to $ than to anything else.

Hatchet Man said:
I wasn't surprised by it, given the general discontent towards authority/discipline in societies young adult population (and being one myself, I see it daily), coupled with the fact these same people tend to cause all sorts problems by launching lawsuits, harrasment complaints etc, against the organization they work for.  And even if the lawsuits/complaints are totally unfounded and baseless, the negative PR, and ultra PC attitude of alot beuracrats/polictians, ensure that the organization "relaxs" its standards, so as not to deal with headache that enforcing the standard would bring upon them.

Also it doesn't help, when alot of those same individuals above are more loyal to $ than to anything else.

The Americans  have the equivalent to our CSD, the UCMJ. Insubordination is still insubordination, regardless of the person age/economical or other status. The break down of discipline is unacceptable, especially on a deployment.  I'm sure though that the supervisor handled it by what ever professional means was appropriate (extras come to mind).

"Sorry, due to contractual restrictions, the video you are trying to view is not available in your country to geographic location"

Thats all I get when I try to watch the videos.  :(  Oh well.

Love793 said:
The Americans  have the equivalent to our CSD, the UCMJ. Insubordination is still insubordination, regardless of the person age/economical or other status. The break down of discipline is unacceptable, especially on a deployment.  I'm sure though that the supervisor handled it by what ever professional means was appropriate (extras come to mind).

And I agree with you, however we all know that there are supervisors out there who cower at the thought you know supervising, and fear if they try to take corrective action, they will wind up on the wrong end of complaint etc.

Hatchet Man said:
And I agree with you, however we all know that there are supervisors out there who cower at the thought you know supervising, and fear if they try to take corrective action, they will wind up on the wrong end of complaint etc.

Unfortunately, I've seen that more than once. What ever happened to "Leaders lead!"?

MedTechStudent said:
Notice there has not been a denial post yet for that statement though  ;)

Like others have said, I remember what I was like at 22! :eek:

MedTechStudent said:
Watching the Oprah Winfrey Show air for the first time??   ;)

Smart ass, 18 eh? Where do you live, I might be your dad! :eek: ;)

I discovered the series last weekend and been watching it throughout the week. It is quite refreshing and is risky on the US Navy to allow uncensored control. I am wondering if the crew who spoke on camera got some kind of immunity for some of the things said, like the whole 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

PBS posted the series on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=lwRWg1czcnk

Someone in the thread mentioned wondering who would want to join after watching the series. I would be one of them. Just knowing people are human even in the military is good thing, in my mind.

Sorry if necro-ing the thread a faux-pas, but I figure I re-use a thread that I found with the search would be better than starting a new one, which may or may not get merged into this one anyway.

Back