• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PBS documentary "Carrier"

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Airs April 27 - May 1 at 9-11 p.m. ET.
http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

PBS' 'Carrier': This message approved
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/reviews/tv/la-et-carrier26apr26,1,1670962.story

ONE SAILOR calmly tells the camera that America went to war for oil. Another, while slurring drunk and again when stone sober, is shown making racist comments. Yet another naval serviceman, who counsels crew members about sexually appropriate behavior, is caught having sex with a shipmate of a lower rank.

Later, a fighter pilot openly questions the rationale for the Iraq war and mulls over the morality of bombing the war-torn country. And finally, a range of enlisted personnel and officers plainly voice disappointment over not dropping bombs during their mission.

While by themselves these incidents may sound like the stuff of enemy propaganda, they are in fact part of a much larger message entirely approved by the United States Navy -- which is somewhat nervously hoping that by allowing itself to look bad in places, it can look good overall.

The American public can watch what may be one of the riskier and more unconventional public relations strategies in U.S. naval history unfold on PBS' "Carrier," a 10-hour documentary series about life aboard an aircraft carrier during wartime. The program, which clearly bears the stamp of reality television, premieres Sunday night on KCET-TV and most PBS stations across the nation and runs throughout the week...

Unlike with its one-dimensional recruitment ads that invite young Americans to "Accelerate Your Life," the Navy did not pay for a camera crew to chronicle the warship's six-month deployment that began and ended in Coronado, and covered 57,000 ocean miles including a combat mission into the Persian Gulf. The Navy paid instead by surrendering almost total editorial control to the filmmakers, who promised military officials they were out to capture the human stories inside the nuclear-powered ship's massive steel hulls.

"The Navy participated in and supported movies like 'Top Gun' and 'Pearl Harbor,' " said Maro Chermayeff, who directed, co-executive produced and co-created the series, which was bankrolled by Mel Gibson's Icon Productions. "But they were always about the hotshot pilots; they were never about the ordinary 19-year-old sailor on the ship."

The unusually candid and personal portrait of life aboard the Nimitz prompted Adm. Gary Roughead, the United States Navy's chief of naval operations, to e-mail approximately 1,000 senior active, reserve and retired officers, and civilian executives, earlier this month to explain why the Navy agreed to the series, and to allay fears about the program's potential negative impact.

"We did not get a Navy 'commercial' in the traditional sense," wrote Roughead, a member of the Joints Chiefs of Staff and the senior military officer in the Department of the Navy. " 'Carrier' is very different from the hardware documentaries we have supported in the past. This program focuses on our people and the reality-TV approach gives it a sense of authenticity and credibility. Since we did not monitor the individual interviews and ongoing production, the program contains material that does not always and fully represent the discipline, values and mission of the U.S. Navy."..

This actual review of the series by an LA Times critic is rather caustic:

'Carrier' on PBS
Even in 10 hours, this PBS documentary series aboard the Nimitz delivers a cursory study of its men, women and mission.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/reviews/tv/la-et-carrierreview26apr26,1,3095460.story

As documentaries go, it's a real commitment signing on for the tour that is "Carrier," a 10-hour PBS series about life aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Nimitz on a trip to the Persian Gulf and back.

Premiering Sunday night and taking up almost half of the week's public-broadcasting prime time, it might be viewed by a suspicious or uncharitable critic as the network demonstrating to its conservative critics that it knows how to wave the flag. Although there is no politicking by the filmmakers or much political expression from the people in it, "Carrier" is not incidentally a paean to military hardware and the men and women who work it, live in it, and keep it organized and clean...

...apart from whatever assurances the brass may or may not have been given, it is natural enough that after traveling for six months cheek-by-jowl with people who are (as seen here) hard-working, dedicated, friendly and all too human, the filmmakers would finally send them a valentine.

Even from a critical standpoint, one wants to make clear that, as with the Iraq war itself, one's problem with the film is never with the troops, but with the thing they have volunteered for...

A thing largely made of snippets and sound bites, it's restless and choppy, even when describing days of tedium.

Its aesthetics are too often those of Madison Avenue. Pop songs, overly loud on the soundtrack, needlessly amplify the obvious majesty of the ship, the seas, the jets and the mission, but more crucially swamp the series' small, delicate, human moments, making sentimental and "cinematic" what would otherwise be plainly moving.

This is especially true toward the end, when friends bid goodbye and families awkwardly reunite.

Just stripping off the soundtrack would improve the series by half.

The people we meet here have joined the Navy for all sorts of reasons, patriotic or practical or romantic; there is some diversity of opinion on the war, God and life -- though having opinions is not necessarily what leads to success in this world, described by one sailor as "a floating dictatorship defending a democracy."

It is a more homogeneous society than most, and yet diverse within those bounds, separated not so much by color and creed as by rank and job. Dissension is acknowledged in the series -- talking heads, often shot against a black background, speak up for themselves -- but it's not really shown being explored...

Mark
Ottawa

I caught the first two episodes last night... and really enjoyed them.  Its definitely not the usual flag-waving, pro-Navy documentary that one's used to seeing about USN CVNs.  It was quite refreshing to see it focussing on the people and their stories vs the usual shows only centered around the ship and the squadrons.

One thing I was immediately shocked about was how free the crew were to talk to the camera about anything... their personal lives, their feelings (good & bad) about their jobs, supervisors, the ship and the Navy in general.  I think its that lack of a military censor is what makes the show so watchable though.  The crew aren't "towing the company line" about the Iraq war; they're voicing they're opinions or lack-thereof and really putting a personal face on US war machine.

Now from a HUMINT perspective, I think its fair to say already that the US Armed Forces probably won't be so signing on for a second season.  I simply could not imagine the Marines or US Army letting the troopies have any 1-on-1 time with a camera crew without a supervisor or PAFO hovering overhead.

Just watching Tuesday, around 2145 EDT.  USN (seemingly all white)  boards a freighter in the Gulf, with a lot of cars on board, apparently mainly crewed by men from the Indian subcontinent.  To the average eye it looked like a bunch of over-armed personnel exhibiting considerable over-concern (to put it mildly).

No wonder hearts and minds are being lost.  It's the attitude, dude.

Mark
Ottawa

I saw this show as well and thought it was very accessible.  Definitely a welcome reprieve from the usual military doc that tries to only show the professionalism of the service.  I also found it interesting to see just how young the majority of the NCM's were.  Most of them look like they haven't even learned how to shave.  Now, being a complete outsider, my guess would have to be that the CF couldn't possibly be that young on average.  Am I right?

**Edited to fix typo**

Just watched  the 'Carrier' episode, quite enjoyed it.  Mark, having an 'average eye'  I fail to see that in the boading of the boat was over the top with armed guys.  How do they know what's on a boat until get aboard and they've done an inspection?  I think 'average terrorist' could looks like anyone and everyone. Better to be safe than sorry.  At the end of the day, everyone, including the guys on the civvie boat,  just wants to get home safe.  

I think the best observation by the sailors so far was that it is a giant floating "High School" with all the usual peer issues and pressures.  It's a very fresh look on how a carrier operates compared to traditional documentaries since this time were seeing what daily life is like from the lowest ranks on up.

The one comment by the teenage sailor who said "we fighting for control of oil" was rather interesting... where were those censors?  :-X

MarkOttawa said:
To the average eye it looked like a bunch of over-armed personnel exhibiting considerable over-concern (to put it mildly).

Ever been on a boarding party ?

Neither have i.

nuff said

MarkOttawa said:
Just watching Tuesday, around 2145 EDT.  USN (seemingly all white)  boards a freighter in the Gulf, with a lot of cars on board, apparently mainly crewed by men from the Indian subcontinent.  To the average eye it looked like a bunch of over-armed personnel exhibiting considerable over-concern (to put it mildly).

Mark
Ottawa

I've been Boarding Party. Loved it and learned a lot to.

You board who you are told to by the TG Commander who gets his orders by someone that makes a lot more money for his decisions then we can ever hope to.

A lot of the merchant sailors come from cultures where police and soldiers are brutal thugs who would think of nothing of shooting them or beating them. You treat them with RESPECT and it goes a long way in cultivating honesty and trust. Who knows you might get some valuable intelligence out of it.

As for going over armed, would you prefer us not to be armed and risk lives? Why not just sink every ship that might have something not in order? Would that satisfy you mark?

MarkOttawa said:

Mark
Ottawa

I think these guys did their jobs quite professionally and thoroughly.

I watched parts of the documentary.  Overall the producers did a very good job.  The US Navy should be commended for allowing the sailors and marines to talk freely.  The only problem I had how the producers did not clarify some facts when the officers gave a brief security assessment to the crew when they were rounding the Malacca Straits.  Yes the Malacca Straits is dangerous, they should have gave an accurate assessment of the security situation in the Straits instead of saying they are terrorist out there.  They should have told the sailors of the actual situation that there are numerous pirate attacks on civilian vessels every year.  Second when they docked in Malaysia, they commented that Kuala Lumpur has a majority Muslim population.  While Malaysia is a majority Muslim population (55%), Kuala Lumpur the majority of the people living in KL are non-Muslims (ie Muslims make up on 38% of KL population and the rest are Buddhist/Christian Chinese  Hindu East Indians).

It was good entertainment but a poor recruiting series.Who wants to be on a ship where you have to work 18 hour days and be with people that dont want to be there. ;D

tomahawk6 said:
It was good entertainment but a poor recruiting series.Who wants to be on a ship where you have to work 18 hour days and be with people that dont want to be there. ;D

- Well, for starters, probably you and I if we were a lot younger, and a whole bunch of other people on this site.  ;D

- And hopefully, another new generation of fine young American volunteers.

Does anyone else think that this show over-emphasizes the amount of romancing that goes on shipboard? It's like a floating coronation street!

RiverDriver said:
Does anyone else think that this show over-emphasizes the amount of romancing that goes on shipboard? It's like a floating coronation street!

Wasn't that show called The Love Boat?? (Yeah -- I'm old.)

RiverDriver said:

- Average age on the carrier was 22 years old.  Know what I was like when I was 22?

>:D

TCBF said:
- Average age on the carrier was 22 years old.  Know what I was like when I was 22?

Lemme take a wild guess -- is there a prize if we get it right??  >:D

ArmyVern said:
Lemme take a wild guess -- is there a prize if we get it right??  >:D

- Family website.  I dare not instigate a riot here!

;D

I don't think the romancing is anymore on there than one of our Frigates, I have seen romancing on our own ships and you have to understand the Nimitz has 5000 or so people on it compared to our little Frigates that hold 180-250 at any given time. If you expanded our Frigate to hold 5000 then you would see more romancing on them too.

There are a few places on the Frigates to hide and romance so just imagine on a CSV how many places you can do something and not get caught.

TCBF said:

Does the phrase, "Anything with a pulse" make up part of the answer? :eek: ;)

Back