• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Payroll deductions

Disenchantedsailor

Inactive
Reaction score
Hoping a pay clerk out there can shed some light for me.

I'm just modfying my budget and trying to plan during my upcoming 4 months of TD in ST-Jean, will I end up paying QPP and claiming it back from the BC Govt at tax time or will my deductions stay static for the rest of the year based on where I'm actually posted?

You dont pay the provincial (i.e. QPP ) deductions while away on TD ...only when posted as you are not a resident of the province

CDN Aviator is correct.

Further to what he said, "TD" money is not "income", and therefore not taxable - it is reimbursement for actual and reasonable costs incurred while you are away from home.  The "daily rate" (whatever it is now), is simply an administrative vehicle to cover such things as tips, cleaning, and other minor expenses, for which you are not required to submit receipts.  The fact that people like myself used the "TD" money for beer money notwithstanding.

"Allowances", on the other hand, ARE income and taxed as such.

indeed, my main question was about the taxable income and allowances, being posted to JTFP HQ Esquimalt and on crse/td in ST Jean whether I would pay QPP or nay, it looks nay from cdn aviators post.

ArtyNewbie said:
indeed, my main question was about the taxable income and allowances, being posted to JTFP HQ Esquimalt and on crse/td in ST Jean whether I would pay QPP or nay, it looks nay from cdn aviators post.

It is NAY as you will not be a resident of PQ. Individuals on your course who are new to the military will be "posted" to St-Jean and therefore will pay QPP and Quebec provincial taxes but you will not as you are posted to BC and sent on TD to St-Jean.  I do this alot in my trade so i am rather familiar with the whole thing.

As has been stated, your pay & allowances are only migrate to other provincial regulations upon posting. In the event that any clerk in your locale may have told you otherwise, I would strongly recommend you inform their supervisors to prevent them from spreading incorrect information.

Furthermore any expenses reimbursed on TD are as decribed by Roy with the exception of the use of "Daily Rate" as that is typically associated with the the daily "meal" rate, which I believe he meant to address was the Incidental Rate.

Also make note that the TD incidental rate goes down after a certain amount of time. I cannot recall what it is but we found this out the hard way.

PO2FinClk said:
As has been stated, your pay & allowances are only migrate to other provincial regulations upon posting. In the event that any clerk in your locale may have told you otherwise, I would strongly recommend you inform their supervisors to prevent them from spreading incorrect information.

Furthermore any expenses reimbursed on TD are as decribed by Roy with the exception of the use of "Daily Rate" as that is typically associated with the the daily "meal" rate, which I believe he meant to address was the Incidental Rate.

Thanks for the clarification of my post, PO2FinClk. 

I've been out long enough now that I tend to stay away from these questions and wait for you (or other serving RMS) to come along - I'm no longer current.

Roy

CDN Aviator said:
Also make note that the TD incidental rate goes down after a certain amount of time. I cannot recall what it is but we found this out the hard way.
Correct, the rate is reduced to 75% on the 31st day of consecutive travel status in the same location. (From $17.00 to $13.00)

Only fine details Roy, the bulk is what matters most.

Thanks guys I appreciate it

It's a wierd claim because there will be days of FOA on so we calculated the whole claim based on low rate of incidentals from day 31 through 122, should work out in the end.

ArtyNewbie said:
Thanks guys I appreciate it

It's a wierd claim because there will be days of FOA on so we calculated the whole claim based on low rate of incidentals from day 31 through 122, should work out in the end.

Remember that you are also not advanced the full amount so it should work out just fine for ya in the end

ArtyNewbie said:
Nothing weird about it, you just don't get incidentals for the days you receive FOA. But seeing as you remain within the same geographical location, it does NOT reset your incidentals to 100%. And also, with ClaimsX there is an option to indicate days in receipt of FOA so it calculates it automatically.

There is really nothing uncommon about this type of claim so rest assured.

futurearmywife said:
Does anyone know (monetary wise) what a person does receives for their BMQ training?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72515.0.html

If you're not finding the results you're looking for using the site's search engine, you can always use Google and tell it to restrict hits to only those on this site, using the following as a search term (for example):

site:army.ca pay during basic

Up to date lists can be found on the forces recruiting website:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/payscales-131

OK thank you I will be looking at those ;)
I did find another one as well from 2006 ... I will find the link to it just in case others want to know the same question as I did ;)
Thank you so much for your time and answers
Julie

It is a little bit older (2006) but I have found it useful (post #4)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44740/post-390144.html#msg390144

Back