• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

Bzzliteyr said:
So, what's everyone's opinion on the 'Thanks" some officers offer when they receive your salute?

I don't like it and never do it.  If I'm saluted when unable to return it (e.g. because of being without headdress in my office or carrying things in both hands) I respond with what I hope is a reasonably cheerful "Good morning PO" (or similar according to the rank of the individual and the time of day).

As if it were directed to them and not the rank?

Often said but never convincingly.  You will find references to saluting officers, but none to saluting a rank.

I will on occasion say "Thank you", but only as an opening before asking about them, their family, their recent course, their plans for the near term... in short, when possible, it's an opening to a conversation (though some do get twitchy, and I try not to keep them too late).

Of course, I also have memories of a certain Cpl I used to be looking around, seeing a gaggle of officers solving all the world's problems, then somehow having business on the other side of them, walking past with an eyes right or left, a 6" up, 12" down foot stop, a salute with a loud "SIR!" called out - and said gaggle seeing their papers go flying and eyes go wide.

Heh. My personal favourite was the day I was crossing the bridge outside NDHQ. Someone with an artillery capbadge was coming my way, but I had the sun right in my eyes and for the life of me could not see what was on his slip on (combats). With my sunglasses on he couldn't see my fixed stare and desperate attempt to read the rank. I got to within about three feet of him and saw him pause slightly in his step, begin to turn ,and open his mouth to give me a (deserved) LGen Leslie Blast'O'Shit. I was able to see his rank at the last second, and fired up the five just in time to save my hide, with an apology for not being able to see it.

Had I been smart I would have simply noticed the cloth cap badge. Good lesson in attention to detail.

Ah yes.. the cloth cap badge.  Not always a good indicator.  I have gotten salutes on numerous occasions due to my unit having one.  And I think the Jimmy's have em too now?  Along with all the shiny thread?

Bzzliteyr said:
And I think the Jimmy's have em too now?  Along with all the shiny thread?

Sigs have had clothe capbadges for awhile. Sigs NCM capbadge is all clothe, the officer Sigs capbadge is clothe except that the Jimmy and lightning bolts are metal.. pretty much looks like a collar dog was attached to the capbadge.

For the Gunners it is an excellent indication of Rank, only Officers wear a cloth cap badge, all other ranks wear a Metal cap badge.

I always find the cadpat slip-ons impossible to read until the last second.  Much easier to spot the ranks when they're gold on black for most pers on a naval base  :nod:

Snakedoc said:
I always find the cadpat slip-ons impossible to read until the last second.  Much easier to spot the ranks when they're gold on black for most pers on a naval base  :nod:

This seems appropriate:
http://terminallance.com/?p=277

Tango18A said:
For the Gunners it is an excellent indication of Rank, only Officers wear a cloth cap badge, all other ranks wear a Metal cap badge.

I've been in Ottawa a while, and haven't seen an Arty CWO in nearly 5 years...but I believe Arty CWOs still wear a cloth hat badge?

They did when I left the guns in 2005.

Don't they wear the forage cap or is that only for the master gunners?

Assistant Instructors in Gunnery wear a forage cap with a red band and a white cap cover when employed in the artillery school. The latest course graduated last Friday morning; part of the ceremony was the presentation of caps as above.

Hijack ends.

Crockett said:
Personally its always bothered me. IE:

"Good day Sir"
"Thanks"

I was always told that it was incorrect, as the salute was a mark of respect to the commission not necessarily the individual. But at the same time I believe that's one of those customary ettiquette bits rather than a rule.

I have witnessed a Chief jacking A/Slts for doing it.

You have to keep the "salute" and the "greeting" separate when dealing with them.

The Salute is a mark of respect for the commission (hence the Queen). It requires no "form of word, prayer or incantation" of any kind by either the saluter or the saluted: Thus you can and should just do it in silence.

If the saluter decides to address the officer she is saluting with a greeting, such as "Good morning M'am", then that is addressed to the individual - not the commission - and the proper and polite thing to do for the officer is to return the greeting " Good morning Master Seaman".

Nothing wrong with a salute and a greeting being given simultaneously though!

We just have to keep in mind that one is military etiquette while the other one is simple courtesy.

Those in the Navy know of our tradition that the first salute given the Captain on the bridge in the morning is given in silence so the Captain, at her own discretion, can decide to return it equally in silence, or accompany it with a greeting (which you may then return), or engage in conversation, or chew your head off, according to his mood, which has not yet been ascertained until then. :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Those in the Navy know of our tradition that the first salute given the Captain on the bridge in the morning is given in silence so the Captain, at her own discretion, can decide to return it equally in silence, or accompany it with a greeting (which you may then return), or engage in conversation, or chew your head off, according to his mood, which depends on how often silly Officers-of-the-Watch woke him up in the middle of the night for silly little things. :)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Another quick hijack here,

I was taught that if an officer has neither head dress on or has his arms full it is acceptable to smartly snap your hands to the side and pay compliments that way. I was told by one of my buddies that you still salute no matter what. What's the correct procedure for that? Just want to fix something before someone of higher rank makes it known in more vocal words. Thanks.

If you have headdress on then salute, no headdress then check arms................ doesn't matter if the officer has headdress on or has his/her arms full....

NFLD Sapper said:
If you have headdress on then salute, no headdress then check arms.

Checking arms as a means of paying compliments is not mentioned in the drill manual.  This might apply:

"15. When in uniform and not wearing headdress, compliments shall be paid by standing at attention. If on the march, arms shall be swung and the head turned to the left or right as required."

Or this:

"18. When dressed in civilian clothes, all members shall stand at attention and male members (less Sikhs) shall remove headdress, on any occasion when a salute would be correct in uniform and extreme winter weather conditions allow. On the march, the headdress is raised or removed, if applicable, and the head turned right or left. When headdress is not worn, it is correct to turn the head as required and offer a polite greeting."

So I'm pretty new to the Forces. Enrolled a month ago, and haven't started BMQ yet. Learning the ins and outs of how things work at a good pace at my unit every week, but I have a few questions.

Since I haven't been trained almost at all, I've been asking my fellow soldiers in my section/platoon about various things yet keep coming up with more questions.

1. I can identify between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned officers, but how should I address a NCO in the event I can't identify their rank?

2. How do you address an Officer-Cadet? Male or Female.

3. If I ever encounter military superiors that know me, in my civilian life (I meet lots of Forces personnel regularly), how do I address them to be polite and keep things as business-like as possible?

Thanks for the help.

hantzu said:
So I'm pretty new to the Forces. Enrolled a month ago, and haven't started BMQ yet. Learning the ins and outs of how things work at a good pace at my unit every week, but I have a few questions.

Since I haven't been trained almost at all, I've been asking my fellow soldiers in my section/platoon about various things yet keep coming up with more questions.

1. I can identify between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned officers, but how should I address a NCO in the event I can't identify their rank?

2. How do you address an Officer-Cadet? Male or Female.

3. If I ever encounter military superiors that know me, in my civilian life (I meet lots of Forces personnel regularly), how do I address them to be polite and keep things as business-like as possible?

Thanks for the help.

1. Commissioned Officers wear bars (straight and flat across the shoulder slip-ons/chest slip-on and sleeve of DEU jacket). Non-Commissioned Members wear chevrons (like exaggerated "Vs") and crowns, crowns with maple wreath, and the Coat of Arms of Canada. Best bet is to just read up on the ranks and how to address them (Master Warrant Officers - Crown with Maple Wreath are addressed as sir/ma'am as well as Chief Warrant Officers who wear the Coat of Arms).

2. Officer Cadets, are addressed as sir/ma'am

3. If you're working or in the place of work/business, you address them appropriate as any work day. Outside of that time, I personally still address the officers as sir/ma'am unless they say otherwise (but even then I'm reluctant). As for NCMs... same deal really.

Back