• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PAT leave & Pension

reccecrewman

Inactive
Reaction score
I ran a search on this and came up empty...........

I am currently on PATA leave. When I go back to work, the lady at the PATA office told me that I would have to buy back my pension time when I return to work.......  I have a question on this. When I do return to work, are they going to nail me for my pension at a brutal rate, or is there some way you can work it so it doesn't impose a burden until you are topped up again?

Thanks in advance

I was reciently on PATA myself.For 3 months I had to pay back 236 IIRC dollars.Not a huge chunk of change to come up with.You can pay it back monthly on each pay.I for one just outright payed it.

To bad you were not properly informed of this requirement before going on leave. I was told right away,therfore allowing me to save some each month when I was on leave. You want to know where you really get hurt? TAXES. I only got back 715 dollars this year. If I had not been on Parental leave I would have gotten 3000. Parental was well worth it though. It is too bad we have to deal with the tax man!

Well, I did voluntarily have my taxes left as they normally would be, just so I don't get boned come tax time next year.  On my pay stubs now, there's a new "Extra Federal Taxes" amount that was never there before with $375.00 being that extra amount, which added with my DND pay Federal Tax & EI Tax, I'm actually paying a few dollars more than I was before PAT leave.

I got tipped off on that one before I took the PAT leave, and I agree with you that the PAT leave is worth it, I went on tour when my son was only a few months old and when I came home, the changes were huge.  At least this time around with my daughter, I'm getting to see all the firsts I missed with my son.

Regards

Back