• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passing of CWO Rod Croucher

manhole

Inactive
Reaction score
Rod passed away at the Oromocto Public Hospital on March 25th, 2009.  He is survived by his wife Dianne Donnelle, his son Rod of Alberta, a brother and sisters.  Visitation will be at the Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home on Friday, March 27th from 2-4 and 7-9.  The funeral service will take place at St. Luke's Chapel, CFB Gagetown on Saturday, March 28th at 2 pm. 
:salute: :cdn:

I am thinking this is RSM Croucher, who was the RSM for ARTS after leaving the Reg Force (mid-'90s) and then worked in J7 as an Interactor on the JANUS?

From the Daily Gleaner:

DONALD (ROD) CROUCHER It is with great sadness that the family of Donald (Rod) Croucher announces his passing at the Oromocto Public Hospital on March 25th, 2009. He leaves to mourn his wife, Dianne Donnelle of Waasis, NB; son, Rod (Melanie) Croucher of Fort Saskatchewan, AB; brother, Carl (Debbie) Croucher of Fredericton, NB; sisters, Lillian (Russell) Corey of Labrador and Dora (Cliff) Strangemore of Mainbrook, NL and grandchildren, Brittney and Paige Croucher. Donald was predeceased by his parents, Jack and Hazel Croucher; brothers, Victor and Roy Croucher and sister, June Astle. Visitation will be held at Oromocto Select Community Funeral Home, 108 Winnebago St., on Friday, March 27th, 2009 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm. The funeral service will take place at St. Lukes Chapel, CFB Gagetown on Saturday, March 28th, at 2pm with Padre Malcolm Berry officiating. The Royal Canadian Legion branch #93 will hold a tribute service at the funeral home Friday at 2pm. For those who wish, memorial donations may be made to Fisher House. 357-5100. www.oromoctofh.com

41305.jpeg

Rod was a good soldier and a real character.

I first met him in Germany in 1967 in A Battery. He was the gun tractor driver for Sgt Al Demerchant's AC detachment. As Al was quite the one for banter, it would have been worth the price of admission to listen to the pair of them during a long road move. On practice camp that Spring Rod got a birthday card from his mother in Newfoundland. In it she had penned "Have a good time on your birthday, but don't get too drunk." Rod's response, "Jeez mom, why don't you make up your mind!"

One last Croucher story: in 1975 or 1976 I was the CIG at the artillery school and Rod showed up for his 6A course during the fall. WO, later CWO, Vic White, one of the AIsG on the course, had just purchased a brand new super deluxe snowblower from the handware store in the Oromocto Shopping Centre. White was quite proud of his purchase and constantly was singing the praise of it to the course. As it had yet to snow, Croucher and another student were on Vic's case big time about the snowblower rusting away in his garage. Finally White assigned the pair of them an extra mutual assignment each, one on the 12 hp Briggs and Stratton engine and the other on the transmission and drive train of the snow blowing mechanism of his pride and joy. Not much later we had a very minor crisis when the RCMP reported to the MPs that the owner of the hardwear store had called them about two suspicious characters who had spent the better part of a Saturday prowling around his display of snowblowers. He feared they were about to make off with one. Of course, it was Rod and his buddy, and the owner finally agreed to let them study it to their hearts' content. I never did find out what grade Vic gave them on their mutuals.

Rest in peace and stand easy, Rod.

I knew him when he was RSM of 3 Fd Regt.......I have been out since 1993 so I am unfamiliar with ARTS and JANUS but I am sure that is the same Rod Croucher.  He was a good man. 

ARTS = Area Rank and Trades School = LFAA TC = Bldg M5

JANUS = earlier version of Joint Conflict and Tactical Simulation (JCATS)

Thanks NFLD Sapper........hard for us old fogies to keep up with all the new terminology.

I was Rod's TSM when he was RSM. A good man and I am privileged to have served with him. I can hear his voice like it was yesterday.

Good shooting Sir, End of Mission.

Thoughts and prayers out to Rod's friends and loved ones.

Ubique
:cdn:

RIP Rod,and condolences to the family.Served with Rod in
1RCHA when he had the unenviable job of CSM of the GD Bty.
otherwise known as Air Defence Bty.Will not be forgotten.
                                Regards

I did not know CWO Croucher, but, as a Canadian, I would like to express my condolences.
:cdn:

Served with Rod for a number of years when he was a Bdr. with A Bty in Germany.

End of Mission

Back