• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parliament to consider changes to "O Canada"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some traditions are protected, often at great cost.  Some are not, and cannot be eroded quickly enough to suit some people.  This creates social tension.

Brad Sallows said:
Some traditions are protected, often at great cost.  Some are not, and cannot be eroded quickly enough to suit some people.  This creates social tension.

Sure.  The reference to "sons" was added later in reference to Canada sending her sons to war in WW1.  No issues with that.  But, given that we have seen women in combat and dying in combat in our most recent conflict, changing it back more or less to the original version to be more inclusive and recognize that fact and many other facts that women have contributed to this country shouldn't be an issue.  Some traditions are also changed, often at great cost as well.

What I don't buy is PC, "this is 2016" or doing it because some MP with a rather undistinguished career but a devastating disease have his day in the sun. 

Some people oppose change.  Their right to do so.  But the world changes. As I mentioned before, in a generation no one will notice, just like very few people still rail against the maple leaf over the red ensign.

I don't care about the words. I don't even sing the last changes.

What I'm disgusted with is the way the Grits forced the vote on the back of a dying man. It's about the lowest, cheesiest trick in the book that I can remember a Canadian government doing.

Then they whip their vote to defeat the CPC motion on ISIS genocide. Not because it's wrong. Not because the world agrees with the CPC. Not even that the UN has already decided that ISIS is pursuing said genocide, contrary to what the Grits are saying in Parliament.

They voted it down because is was tabled by the CPC.

They are not governing on behalf of Canadians they are governing solely on behalf of their party and supporters.

The Trudeau liberals are apologists for Islamic terrorism, a phrase that Trudeau cannot even say. This is simply because he is concentrating on the Muslim vote, which fits right along with their immigration policy.

They don't care about Canadians, they care only about becoming re-elected. They have turned on and broke promises to almost every group that got them elected, except the Muslims.

recceguy said:
I don't care about the words. I don't even sing the last changes.

What I'm disgusted with is the way the Grits forced the vote on the back of a dying man. It's about the lowest, cheesiest trick in the book that I can remember a Canadian government doing.

Then they whip their vote to defeat the CPC motion on ISIS genocide. Not because it's wrong. Not because the world agrees with the CPC. Not even that the UN has already decided that ISIS is pursuing said genocide, contrary to what the Grits are saying in Parliament.

They voted it down because is was tabled by the CPC.

They are not governing on behalf of Canadians they are governing solely on behalf of their party and supporters.

The Trudeau liberals are apologists for Islamic terrorism, a phrase that Trudeau cannot even say. This is simply because he is concentrating on the Muslim vote, which fits right along with their immigration policy.

They don't care about Canadians, they care only about becoming re-elected. They have turned on and broke promises to almost every group that got them elected, except the Muslims.

Must....not....post...because....I.....like....recceguy......

Breathe 1234, exhale 1234....

John Tescione said:

Square breathing John. Square breathing. ;D

Lumber said:
Well, yeah, where else would you see modification to the Canadian National Anthem made?................

What OGBD said...I said that because I'm really kinda torqued about this whole process and how it occurred, apart from the fact nobody asked me (ie my MP, or even our dope smokin PM for that matter) my opinion and just rammed a Bill through the Commons because a poor soul with a terminal disease brought it up for the enteeth time and someone wanted to feel good about it.  Only in Canada would a law be passed in the federal legislature just because it was a dying man's wish to see the words of the National Anthem changed and the government in power had the votes to make sure it happened...especially as this really is something that should have been done by a national referendum.  Instead, our PM, someone who really ought to know better given his lineage, just seems to want to make a mockery of our parliamentary system.

MM

medicineman said:
What OGBD said...I said that because I'm really kinda torqued about this whole process and how it occurred, apart from the fact nobody asked me (ie my MP, or even our dope smokin PM for that matter) my opinion and just rammed a Bill through the Commons because a poor soul with a terminal disease brought it up for the enteeth time and someone wanted to feel good about it.  Only in Canada would a law be passed in the federal legislature just because it was a dying man's wish to see the words of the National Anthem changed and the government in power had the votes to make sure it happened...especially as this really is something that should have been done by a national referendum.  Instead, our PM, someone who really ought to know better given his lineage, just seems to want to make a mockery of our parliamentary system.

MM

C'mon MM, he's his father's son. Neither Trudeau care what us commoners think. They are elitists who don't really exist in our real world. He was taught that only he matters. The rest of us are peasants to be dictated to.

recceguy said:
C'mon MM, he's his father's son. Neither Trudeau care what us commoners think. They are elitists who don't really exist in our real world. He was taught that only he matters. The rest of us are peasants to be dictated to.

Okay,

Now you are out of order.

That last Regime showed Canada what living under an angry Duke means, one that ruled with his iron fist.

PM Justin Trudeau, is getting a little too much of the blame, regarding the mess left behind by the duke, and his decade of decay.  Our Government has been in power six months, and you want him to step up, as he is stepping around the shit left behind???

As I used to say, I shall retire to Bedlham!!

>Are a few words really that sacred?

No.  I'm not fussed by changes to anthems, or flags, or most of the other paraphernalia.  But I want all cultures' traditions to be equally liable to be changed - or just plain thrown away - in pursuit of whatever reasons justify the evolution of traditions.

At least your so called angry duke had the courtesy to ask normal Canadians about making changes to the National Anthem before he attempted to ram it through Parliament and then backed down when he realized that Canadians liked the anthem just the way it was.  The current change is a slap in the face to the original authors who penned it the way it is written to honour the
61000 dead and 172,000 wounded during WW1.  You know, the ones who demonstrated the "true patriot love".  Recce is absolutely correct, it is one of the lowest actions I have witnessed in a Canadian PM in years and demonstrates a total disregard for Parliament and contempt for the average Canadian citizen who have just had their rights trampled on.

YZT580 said:
At least your so called angry duke had the courtesy to ask normal Canadians about making changes to the National Anthem before he attempted to ram it through Parliament and then backed down when he realized that Canadians liked the anthem just the way it was.  The current change is a slap in the face to the original authors who penned it the way it is written to honour the
61000 dead and 172,000 wounded during WW1.  You know, the ones who demonstrated the "true patriot love".  Recce is absolutely correct, it is one of the lowest actions I have witnessed in a Canadian PM in years and demonstrates a total disregard for Parliament and contempt for the average Canadian citizen who have just had their rights trampled on.

You do understand democracy, and the parliamentarian system right? 

Enough to know when both have been trampled on.  No debate, no discussion, shutdown of questions and the whips out to ensure mp compliance.  Meanwhile, a cpc motion of censure regarding ISIS, a no-brainer for non-partisan  agreement (other than Elizabeth) is whipped to ensure rejection with the PM unable to agree that these guys are committing crimes against humanity.  That isn't parliamentary democracy its an egotist on a power trip

YZT580 said:
  That isn't parliamentary democracy its an egotist on a power trip
It's awesome is what it is.  More and more ever day I'm finding myself thinking a lot of Canadians deserve Trudeau.

Posted by: YZT580
Enough to know when both have been trampled on.  No debate, no discussion, shutdown of questions and the whips out to ensure mp compliance.  Meanwhile, a cpc motion of censure regarding ISIS, a no-brainer for non-partisan  agreement (other than Elizabeth) is whipped to ensure rejection with the PM unable to agree that these guys are committing crimes against humanity.  That isn't parliamentary democracy its an egotist on a power trip.

Following the lead from his mentor, President Obama.

John Tescione said:

Everyone seems to get on your case when you blow a gasket but nobody gives you credit when you keep your cool.

Well, good job, hang in there. Let them have their little rant thread here. They need a safe place to vent their frustrations. I've largely left this thread alone for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back