• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parliament to consider changes to "O Canada"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike said:
Women will always be seen as different until such time as parents stop placing gender specific colours on babies, buying girls Barbie dolls and boys matchbox cars and women stop putting false expectations on themselves that they have to work twice as hard as men to get half the recognition.

So we can get rid of things like the CF champion for women then ?

The Canadian women in aviation conference ?

International women's day ?

I mean, we're all the same after all.................right ?

CDN Aviator said:
So we can get rid of things like the CF champion for women then ?

The Canadian women in aviation conference ?

International women's day ?

I mean, we're all the same after all.................right ?

While we're at it, lets get rid of Black History month, Aboriginal Recognition Day and anything else that strives to point out our differences.

CDN Aviator said:
So we can get rid of things like....
Women's only gyms......solely because if you opened a "men's only" anything, the first people through the doors would be lawyers.

I don't see what the problem is In Canadian Forces Women have it better than men,

They can grow their hair as long as they want.

The can have their ears pierced (now with gold, silver or diamond studs)

There is no part of their body that they are required to shave on a daily bases.

If anything I want to be equal to them!

Tank Troll said:
The can have their ears pierced (now with gold, silver or diamond studs)

You can have your ears pierced.  You just can't wear earrings in uniform.  ;)

Let's settle this crap once and for all.  I nominate the following text as the national anthem:

"O, Canada!".

That is all.

We anglos appear to be the only ones with a problem.  You don't hear Francophones bitching about such lines as "il sait porter la croix.."

I'll go you one further.  Just hum the tune, no words. 

Strike said:
Seems the article has been taken down.
Thanks for the head's up - new link added, with scan attached as well.

ballz said:
Now this is funny/ironic http://sistersinarms.ca/film-subjects/shirley-robinson-ret-lieutenant-colonel/
For a bit more grist for the mill, here's the Status of Women Canada Info-Machine's bio:
Name: Shirley M. Robinson
Role: Advocate for equality for women in the military
Canadian Military Contribution: Long-time advocate for equality for women in the military

Lieutenant-Colonel (Retired) Shirley Robinson served with distinction in the Canadian military for some 30 years, taking on a variety of challenging roles on both the operational and administrative side of the forces. Shirley originally trained as a nurse, a profession she credits for her strong self-discipline. For decades, she has been a passionate and dedicated advocate for equality for women in the military – both in employment and in the conditions women face as they serve. While in the military, one of Shirley's key roles was as Deputy Director of Women Personnel. Hearing first-hand the experiences of discrimination and harassment faced by women in the military, she became convinced not enough was being done to address gender-based issues. Even in retirement, Shirley has dedicated herself to removing gender-based barriers in the military, opening doors so women can choose from the full range of career paths available today, including combat roles. Much of her work has been channeled through the Association for Women's Equity in the Armed Forces, which she co-founded in 1985. Shirley has authored a number of publications and articles on women in the military and their human rights. In 1992, she received the Governor General's Award in Commemoration of the Persons Case, in recognition of her outstanding contributions to the quality of life of women in Canada.

7.gif

Did she write that herself?  >:D

May 31, 2016

Gender-neutral lyrics in 'O Canada' up for debate again in House of Commons
http://www.680news.com/2016/05/31/gender-neutral-lyrics-in-o-canada-up-for-debate-again-in-house-of-commons/
Another debate about O Canada is expected Tuesday in the House of Commons.

The House of Commons is debating an effort by dying Liberal Mauril Belanger to render the national anthem gender-neutral, by replacing the line in the English version “in all thy sons command” with “in all of us command.”

I am in favour of instituting gender neutral English the day after they institute gender neutral French and that ain't happening.  Why is it always an attack on the English language?

As with mankind that includes women, see definition 3.

Full Definition of son

1:  a human male offspring especially of human beingsb :  a male adopted childc :  a human male descendant

2  capitalized :  the second person of the Trinity

3 :  a person closely associated with or deriving from a formative agent (as a nation, school, or race)

Rocky Mountains said:
I am in favour of instituting gender neutral English the day after they institute gender neutral French and that ain't happening.  Why is it always an attack on the English language?

June 9, 2016

CTV News: "Conservatives block dying MP's bid to make O Canada lyrics gender-neutral"
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/conservatives-block-dying-mp-s-bid-to-make-o-canada-lyrics-gender-neutral-1.2939012

Rocky Mountains said:

As with mankind that includes women, see definition 3.

Full Definition of son

1:  a human male offspring especially of human beingsb :  a male adopted childc :  a human male descendant

2  capitalized :  the second person of the Trinity

3 :  a person closely associated with or deriving from a formative agent (as a nation, school, or race)

You do realise that the anthem in French is already gender neutral right? And that both versions are pretty much not even litteral translations?  Not sure where you are getting that this is an attack on the english language.

Yeah Quebec is on the forefront in a lot of areas of gender neutrality, feminism, etc.

It is after all where 90% of those hyphenated monstrosity last names come from.

Never understood those. I've yet to see a triple or quad hyphenated name yet... not saying they don't exist.

With that said though, it shouldn't be changed. But nothing is sacred today for the PC bunch.

If it's such a problem then why don't they adopt "The Maple Leaf Forever" as the anthem?  It damn near was once already.

gryphonv said:
It is after all where 90% of those hyphenated monstrosity last names come from.
Never understood those. I've yet to see a triple or quad hyphenated name yet... not saying they don't exist.

I thought that it was because Quebec won't recognize a change in name if the wife decides to take her husband's name.

And why don't we just eliminate the words anyway. Since we have two official versions, and most times they use both versions in one go so no one knows what to sing.

Man, those evil Tories. They even find a way to control the government as an official opposition. Its like the Liberals don't have a majority and couldn't force this bill through if they wanted, or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back